Tonearm Cable vs Grounded Interconnect?

displayname

I think I know the answer here, but I wanted to get some insights from the community. I’m looking at starting to re-cable my system, and I’m considering finally going full loom (except power cables). In the process, and interesting option came up. Don’t get hung up on the company or model. I know a few companies do variations of this:

Eclipse 8 offered in rca-rca w/ ground

OR

Micro-eclipse 8 in rca-rca w/ground

In your opinion, which would be better for the turntable connection and why?

I think I know the answer here, but I wanted to get some insights from the community. I’m looking at starting to re-cable my system, and I’m considering finally going full loom (except power cables). In the process, and interesting option came up. Don’t get hung up on the company or model. I know a few companies do variations of this:

Eclipse 8 offered in rca-rca w/ ground

OR

Micro-eclipse 8 in rca-rca w/ground

In your opinion, which would be better for the turntable connection and why?

You have a mofi deck? The first one is what you need. The second is for turntables where you connect to a din socket, usually directly under the turntable straight into the tonearm, it’s more often in modular twbles on a plinth where you change the tonearm like sp10s or garads.

You have a mofi deck? The first one is what you need. The second is for turntables where you connect to a din socket, usually directly under the turntable straight into the tonearm, it’s more often in modular twbles on a plinth where you change the tonearm like sp10s or garads.
The second one has an RCA to RCA with ground option. It’s a no DIN configuration with integrated ground. Same as my current Zu phono mission. And oddly similar to the Eclipse 8 with integrated ground. I noticed they only list capacitance on the micro-eclipse too.

This is where the question comes in.

The second one has an RCA to RCA with ground option. It’s a no DIN configuration with integrated ground. Same as my current Zu phono mission.

Oh sorry the picture when I went through threw me then, it showed a DIN socket!

Now you see my slight confusion, lol

Reading the descriptions of the two the first one would be what I’d buy but are you sure you’ve linked to the right second cable because it has a note at the bottom describing it’s a DIN to 2RCA or 2XLR.

Edit: oh wait, in small small print it says other configurations are available. You picked the most confusingly described cable of all time 😂

Last edited:
Reading the descriptions of the two the first one would be what I’d buy but are you sure you’ve linked to the right second cable because it has a note at the bottom describing it’s a DIN to 2RCA or 2XLR.

Edit: oh wait, in small small print it says other configurations are available. You picked the most confusingly described cable of all time 😂
Yup! I think it’s basically because if you call they’ll probably do whatever you want. But I assure you I’m seeing rca-rca on the page:

1714646104371.png

The second one has an RCA to RCA with ground option. It’s a no DIN configuration with integrated ground. Same as my current Zu phono mission. And oddly similar to the Eclipse 8 with integrated ground. I noticed they only list capacitance on the micro-eclipse too.

Probably because it's 26awg, which is, uh, small.

Probably because it's 26awg, which is, uh, small.
BJC LC-1 uses larger 25 AWG wire because “that was as small as we felt we could make it while maintaining (1) the ability to firmly crimp a center pin to it and (2) adequate strength for durability under pulling force.”

So, yeah, 26 AWG is small.

The only advantage of an integrated ground in a RCA to RCA cable is wire management. One less unsightly wire to spoil the aesthetics.

The only advantage of an integrated ground in a RCA to RCA cable is wire management. One less unsightly wire to spoil the aesthetics.
Ok, but what about the two slightly different models. Same line being pitched for slightly different use cases?

There is very little current carrying capacity needed for phono cartridges, so resistance is not an issue. The difference between 18 AWG and 26 AWG relates more to mechanical tensile strength and fatigue resistance. I think 26 is too small on that basis.

Edit: MC cartridge coils are typically wound with wire gauges from 48 to 52, for comparison.

Wire gauges have captured my attention for the past couple of days. Standard Ethernet cables are typically either 24 or 26 AWG, but there are eight wires to contribute to tensile strength.

There is very little current carrying capacity needed for phono cartridges, so resistance is not an issue. The difference between 18 AWG and 26 AWG relates more to mechanical tensile strength and fatigue resistance. I think 26 is too small on that basis.

Edit: MC cartridge coils are typically wound with wire gauges from 48 to 52, for comparison.
Wire gauges have captured my attention for the past couple of days. Standard Ethernet cables are typically either 24 or 26 AWG, but there are eight wires to contribute to tensile strength.
Guessing it probably changes the cable’s capacitance per foot, no?

Guessing it probably changes the cable’s capacitance per foot, no?
Capacitance per foot is usually a byproduct of the amount and type of insulation used. The insulation between conductors is a dielectric that holds capacitative charge.

Coax manufacturers often use a foamed dielectric since air is a poor capacitor. The foam sits between the signal wire and the conductive shield. The smaller the signal wire, the more space can exist between it and the shield, reducing capacitance. This is why coax cables are so wide when compared to their skinny signal wires.

What could be problematic about the Eclipse design is the packaging of four parallel conductors in a single insulation sheath. The insulation between conductors would be capacitive.

The “twisted pair” approach offers no benefit if the components on both sides are not balanced. This may pose no real world problems for a MC cartridge or a line level interconnection, but could be a detriment to capacitance-sensitive MM cartridges. At this price point, MM cartridges would be uncommon.

Last edited:
What could be problematic about the Eclipse design is the packaging of four parallel conductors in a single insulation sheath. The insulation between conductors would be capacitive.
Note that the capacitance per meter for the Micro Eclipse is quite high, 200 pf/m compared about 40 pf/m for BJC LC-1 (which was designed for low capacitance). The Eclipse is likely to be even higher.

I would avoid either for use with MM carts or vacuum tube electronics that may oscillate with high capacitance interconnects.

Note that the capacitance per meter for the Micro Eclipse is quite high, 200 pf/m compared about 40 pf/m for BJC LC-1 (which was designed for low capacitance). The Eclipse is likely to be even higher.

I would avoid either for use with MM carts or vacuum tube electronics that may oscillate with high capacitance interconnects.
I actually run the cheapest (no longer sold) Wireworld interconnect, the Terra (3 strands per channel, 25awg), which has a similar flat cable design. Not running MM at the moment, but perhaps that explains why I didn't care for the MasterTracker on my setup.

I’ve read the analogy that adding extra capacitance is about the same as dialing up the treble tone control (for a MM cartridge).

I have a phono with variable capacitance; I’ll need to play with it a bit to see how strong the effect is in my system.

Back