The Twilight Zone

MadLucas

A dedicated thread to my favorite TV show, for discussing of episodes, marathons, actors, Rod Serling, and anything else to do with The Twilight Zone.

Any top 10 episodes?
Any theories about episode continuity or relationships?
Any love for Season 4?

I have yet to watch the new incarnation of TZ, which is a shame because I loved the original series. I even liked the 1983 movie, it also rebooted one of my favorite episodes ;)

The two I never seem to forget:
  • TIME ENOUGH AT LAST
  • NIGHTMARE AT 20,000 FEET

I used to binge watch the marathons on Space, love the show. Has anyone checked out the new episodes? I haven't yet but I'm going to try and check them out this weekend. Time Enough at Last is the one I remember most, always made me sad.

Some of my my favorite episodes are, Perchance to Dream, And When the Sky Was Opened, and Little Girl Lost, which is basically the entire first season of Stranger Things boiled down to half an hour. Kid trapped in a parallel world, help from a local cop, making crazy symbols on the wall of your house. It's got it all.

Also Tower of Terror at Disney is a great Twilight Zone episode, AND Disney attraction.

I still need to go watching a bunch of the old ones that are up on Netflix. As far as the new ones go, I wasn't really a fan. I found most of the episodes frustrating and poorly written. Some good ideas, some good moments, but it kinda disappointed me as a whole.

I still need to go watching a bunch of the old ones that are up on Netflix. As far as the new ones go, I wasn't really a fan. I found most of the episodes frustrating and poorly written. Some good ideas, some good moments, but it kinda disappointed me as a whole.
Idk, the camera episode, the Rod Serling episode, the comedian, not all men, nightmare at 30k, the mars trip, and the kid president were all really great. I really liked that every episode focused on a real modern day fear

Idk, the camera episode, the Rod Serling episode, the comedian, not all men, nightmare at 30k, the mars trip, and the kid president were all really great. I really liked that every episode focused on a real modern day fear
The camera one, comedian, not all men, nightmare at 30 all had great concepts. I will agree with that. I just think they didn't totally nail it. The camera one especially was so great until the ending that I just felt it was trying really hard to make a point with barely scratching the surface of that point, which was a running thing throughout a number of the episodes. The finale was great though. probably my favorite of the season.

The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street is timeless and one of the less-rehashed eps that could use a modern take.

Also, for an off-the-beaten-path ep, The Bewitchin' Pool had a strong effect on me as a kid; I remember seeing it for the first time during the summer and spending the following afternoon feeling every square inch of the bottom of our pool for a portal.

The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street is timeless and one of the less-rehashed eps that could use a modern take.

Also, for an off-the-beaten-path ep, The Bewitchin' Pool had a strong effect on me as a kid; I remember seeing it for the first time during the summer and spending the following afternoon feeling every square inch of the bottom of our pool for a portal.
We did a play of Maple Street in one of my middle school classes hahaha. I wish I could remember what part I had.

Anyone watch the marathon this year?
I was very, very confused with the episodes aired and when they WERE aired... "The Howling Man" at 3am? Who are they trying to keep this a secret from?
Also, notably absent were "Come Wander With Us" and "The Bewitchin' Pool," two must-sees for me.

Thoughts?

I think the Monsters are Due is definitely one that everyone should watch again, because it's just as tragically relevant now as it was when it aired.

When I was in grad school for Spanish lit, I published an article titled "Remember Me as an Episode of the Twilight Zone: Media, Technology, and Memory in Rodrigo Fresán's Mantra." It's about a novel by an Argentine author, but set in Mexico, and there's a character that's obsessed with the Twilight Zone and who wants his own personal Rod Serling. The best part of it was I could use it as an excuse to watch the whole series on Netflix and call it "research."

Back