The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I was dreading going into this one after reading everybody's reactions here, but wound up pleasantly surprised. I'm not gonna be the odd fucker out and say it's absolutely amazing but I found it enjoyable enough - wankery and all. I'll take King Crimson and Sun Ra over ELP all day, every day, but I wouldn't be mortified if somebody wanted to put this on. 3/5

I’m gunna say that I both haven’t listened to it and probably don’t intend to listen to it.

That gif was just for the lols and because lee keeps tagging me in a comment every time a prog album comes up 😂

4/4/23
ebf71dbcc75e8488f89f21bf4167e6b9bdff37a1

Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Pictures at an Exhibition

Allmusic Review:

I know I'd listened to this just a couple years ago and remembered being pretty meh on it. But as I was listening, I thought wow, I didn't remember this being 2 hours and 9 minutes long. Turns out I just listened to the deluxe version. And while I did strongly dislike the first couple tracks, by the time it got to the Baba Yaga freakout tracks I was really into it. I know this will convince absolutely none of you (maybe @avecigrec) but I like this extended deluxe version far more than the standard version, despite there being several tracks that do nothing for me. 3/5

I know I'd listened to this just a couple years ago and remembered being pretty meh on it. But as I was listening, I thought wow, I didn't remember this being 2 hours and 9 minutes long. Turns out I just listened to the deluxe version. And while I did strongly dislike the first couple tracks, by the time it got to the Baba Yaga freakout tracks I was really into it. I know this will convince absolutely none of you (maybe @avecigrec) but I like this extended deluxe version far more than the standard version, despite there being several tracks that do nothing for me. 3/5
We tortured Newcastle, NOW SEE WHAT WE DID TO LONDON!!!

What I really want to know is what Mussorgsky ever did to ELP that they were like “we should take his masterpiece and make it sound like Jesus Christ Superstar and a little country church organist’s recital had a lsd baby”?
Which is exactly why I'm digging the weirdness of this pick so much. What the hell makes something like this get conceived and played consistently on a tour. I mean, beyond drugs.

In high school I went through a ELP deep dive, but I don't think I spent much time with this particular album, more with Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery.

the Baba Yaga parts are pretty fantastic and out there, but also surprisingly well orchestrated/coordinated with the synth/drumming. And I love me some Hammond B3.

3/5

Which is exactly why I'm digging the weirdness of this pick so much. What the hell makes something like this get conceived and played consistently on a tour. I mean, beyond drugs.

In high school I went through a ELP deep dive, but I don't think I spent much time with this particular album, more with Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery.

the Baba Yaga parts are pretty fantastic and out there, but also surprisingly well orchestrated/coordinated with the synth/drumming. And I love me some Hammond B3.

3/5
Drugs. There is no beyond. Everything about this screams a bong rip of some crazy shit.

Back