The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I'm with you on this (except the metal and punk rock part, it was funk and noise for me).
Elton John never got much of my time nor attention.
He was always classified as the epitome of the worst of radio pop and gloopy sticky slow ballads.
I've matured since then (this is what I tell myself) so I'm coming to this with an open mind.

I've just started the listening process.
There's definitely something new to my ears, and have to admit to enjoy the process.
So far I really liked Bennie and the Jets, while Candle in the wind is an immediate fast-forward.

I'll keep at it and report later.
I just finished it, and yeah, it's pretty great overall. Although it's not my first time listening to the whole album, there were some small revelations this time around: The opening track is brilliant (I had kinda snoozed through it before), Bennie and the Jets is a good song, but the fake live production is jarring and the troika of Sweet Painted Lady, Roy Rogers and Harmony pretty much sums up all my pre-conceived notions about Elton as a sentimental balladeer (although they're not bad songs per se). I think I will spin this more often, especially when the wife's in the room. Score: 4/5.

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Big opening!

That bass guitar is in your face, man, love it!

Aaaarghhh no, it's the Princess Di song!!!!! (I know it was originally about Marilyn Monroe). This version isn't quite the sentimental shite it turned into.

The piano riff on Bennie and the Jets is really cool.

Nice bit of flute on this one (I think).

This album was mixed and mastered by a bass player, tell me I'm wrong!!!

Elton can even reggae, he does the lot, haha.

He's got a good voice, I wasn't too sure it fit quite right with the music, but it definitely grows on you and makes sense. Every song has been a banger so far, really strong songwriting.

He did just say he hadn't had a bath in a year!!

Elton goes Beach Boys now!

SATURDAY.

Well, that was marvellous, a bit too long, but what to cut?

3 / 5 stars.

2/2/23
View attachment 165812Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick R

Allmusic Review:

First time I listened to a full Elton John album.
I liked it way more than I expected to.
I still don't care for his ballads.
Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting alone is worth the price of admission.
I think I should check out some of his other 70's albums.
Suggestions?

Solid 4/5

First time I listened to a full Elton John album.
I liked it way more than I expected to.
Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting alone is worth the price of admission.
I think I should check out some of his other 70's albums.
Suggestions?

Solid 4/5
MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER

I've loved Elton John since I was a kid, and go through phases of listening to a bunch of his albums every couple years or so. Since I've listened to this album so many times I decided to listen to some of the 40th anniversary bonus material to add something new to my listen. They didn't really add anything to the experience but glad to have heard some of that now. 5/5

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Listened to this a few weeks ago as part of my album play through. The main memory I have is that Jamaica Jerk-Off did not age well. Otherwise it's Elton doing what Elton does best. 3/5.
I don't know if it's accurate to say Jamaican Jerk-Off didn't age well, because I think everyone pretty much agreed it sticks out like @Mather's thumb since the album came out.

It's supposedly a bit of a dig at how they went to record this album in Jamaica but when they got to the studio nothing was ready, no instruments even, and subsequent political unrest made it so it wouldn't be possible to do it there. So they went and just wasted time with Elton and Bernie running around the island tickling their pickles. And they took revenge on the world by turning it into a song.

Ok the masterbation part is a stretch, but it really is supposed to be about how the trip ended up being a waste of time.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's accurate to say Jamaican Jerk-Off didn't age well, because I think everyone pretty much agreed it sticks out like @Mather's thumb since the album came out.

It's supposedly a bit of a dig at how they went to record this album in Jamaica but when they got to the studio nothing was ready, no instruments even, and subsequent political unrest made it so it wouldn't be possible to do it there. So they went and just wasted time with Elton and Bernie running around the island tickling their pickles. And they took revenge on the world by turning it into a song.

Ok the masterbation part is a stretch, but it really is supposed to be about how the trip ended up being a waste of time.
Interesting -That's helpful to know the context, I was just putting in the same vein as Genesis ~ Illegal Alien.

Interesting -That's helpful to know the context, I was just putting in the same vein as Genesis ~ Illegal Alien.
I had the same thought before and did some googling to find out about it because it's one of the few EJ songs I tend to skip and just doesn't fit the album imo.

I was gonna say something along the lines of because Elton motherfucking John said so, but yours is probably better if lengthy. Kind of like the album.

I'm going to have to rephrase that: I still don't care for the saccharine ballads

MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER

Damn it, I like this one too, maybe more that Goodbye Yellow Brick Road? It's a leaner album and I dig that.
Tiny Dancer fucking rules

Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy
Will check this one out next.

Looks like my aversion to 80/90's Elton made me completely overlook the 70's

MADMAN ACROSS THE WATER
His run from Tumbleweed Connection through Captain Fantastic is excellent but that spread of Madman > Honky Château > Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is really special. GYBR is excellent album, my mom was a gigantic Elton John fan and had all his records so I’ve heard all his albums more times than I can count. Madman is a personal favorite but I would say GYBR is his best overall and Honky Château isn’t too far behind either.

Back