The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

No where in the pantheon of Fall albums, mostly famous because it was their first. Still enjoyable. Makes for an interesting car listen while driving home.

Oh, and Pavement owes The Fall a shit ton in royalties.
Big influence for sure but Pavement is a little less sneering, and little more fun.

9/7/23
520f638677b04fe663891d8ceec1811762be6f14

Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard

Clapton’s a prick. I like his music. Never really understood the allure of this album. We’ll see what a listen or two does for me.
Yeah, Slowhand is really the only “essential” solo Clapton album in my opinion. I personally enjoy Backless because my mom owned it and played it often when I was a child but that’s about it. Knowing what we know about Clapton now, him making an album that is centered around a Bob Marley cover was pretty rich. Though I guess I f it helped Bob sell a few more records I guess that’s alright.

I meant to read the reviews before I commented again. Another listen does not make me think higher of this album. It's okay. It feels disjointed (not unlike I feel about the White Album). Like @TenderLovingKiller® Slowhand is the essential album to me. (I also happen to like Backless and would add Journeyman as worth a listen, other than that, Clapton like The Eagles is best served by compilations and honestly you can stop at Crossroads.) 3 stars

Not spent much time with this one. Like pretty much everything by them though.

Blue Lines through Mezzanine are the sweetest three for me. I don't dislike anything after that, but nothing reached the peaks of the first three. I spent a LOT of time with those ones.

I know most will probably max out at 4 here, but its another 5 for me for sure.

Duane makes everything better.

Duane's on 'Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs' which is another one that's a candidate if you only pick one EC record, but this live one is EC/Bobby Whitlock/Carl Radle/Jim Gordon.

A word about Jim - arguably the most incredible drummer I ever heard. He suffered from undiagnosed schizophrenia and succumbed to the voices, murdering his mom with a hammer. He died this year in prison. What a tragedy.

Duane's on 'Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs' which is another one that's a candidate if you only pick one EC record, but this live one is EC/Bobby Whitlock/Carl Radle/Jim Gordon.

A word about Jim - arguably the most incredible drummer I ever heard. He suffered from undiagnosed schizophrenia and succumbed to the voices, murdering his mom with a hammer. He died this year in prison. What a tragedy.

Most folks have no idea who Jim Gordon was. His discography is legendary, As deep and diverse as they come. So, so sad...

9/8/23
c8fd00465de6267eed8f9204aea75bad7d443b60

Massive Attack - Protection

This is a very enjoyable album, yet a step down from Blue Lines.

The hypnotic eponymous track, "Karmacoma," "Weather Storm," and "Better Things" are excellent trip-hop standouts. But then you have mid as fuck tracks like "Three," "Spying Glass," and the trash cover of The Doors' "Light My Fire." The rest is fairly enjoyable track to track.

I would argue that this album should not be on this list at all.

Rating: 3.5/5 [Great]

9/5/23
View attachment 181564
Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Clube

I remember how huge Sheryl Crow was during my teenage years, although she was never really my thing.

I remember the hits well enough, and they are decent, the rest is pretty bland.

Not terrible.

2.5 / 5 stars.

Not promoting The Fall, but you can say this about most any fanbase.

I dunno. I think there is a type of fan who obsesses about one particular cult act, rather than wider music, and can be a bit much. There are definitely acts I like that attract this kind of fan too. Maybe it was living in Manchester for 6 years that’s exposed me to more of them for the fall but they definitely strongly attract that type of fan.

Last edited:
Back