The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

It's definitely not a genre that I am super knowledgeable about or that I would put in my top genres or anything. Finding Desmond Dekker and the first Marley album really changed my feelings about it though. 1. I learned that I really like ska (like real ska not weird punk with reggae rhythms and horns - although I like that okay) 2. it opened up the rest of it for me.

It's funny that a Marley record took me out of the Marley is the only one worth listening to phase of my love for the music, but it really did and I went from having 6 Marley CDs and no real interest in the genre outside of it to I have 39 different titles (and only three of them are Marley - Legend, Wailing Wailers and Burnin') that have it listed as genre on discogs.

This one somehow flew under the radar and I highly recommend everyone owns it. Bob is electric and the band is every bit his equal. You hear the band stretch out on this one a bit more than usual...

As essential and vital as Marley is, I often gravitate more to Tosh...

Nick Drake - Pink Moon
So, this is like José González, before José González was even born?!

(I kid, I kid!)

It's very good so far, nice guitar playing and singing.

Everything so far just seems to meander along nicely and then come to an abrupt end. Seems a bit strange, or I'm not listening right, it's been a funny day.

Free Ride has stood out for me, I like the droning strings and then the sliding guitar stabby bits along with the vocals. Nice melody.

It's a nice album, but nothing really happens, so I can't give it any more than 2 stars to stay consistent.

#6 - Nick Drake - Pink Moon

I remember listening to this album a few times about 20 years ago, but I haven't really returned to it since. It is a beautiful album, but I do agree that it kind of meanders along nicely and gets kind of samey over the course of its 28 minutes. I get why people love it and I get why some may find it boring. I'm kind of in between those two positions.

Rating: 3.5/5

Nick Drake ~ Pink Moon

Love, Love, Love this album. It's all ambiance and atmosphere for me. Same reason I love Iron & Wine I suppose, delicate and complicated fingerpicking and whispery lyrics you can get lost in.

If you like this, John Martyn's Solid Air is a listen as well, the title track is dedicated to Nick Drake.

5/5

1674837856193.png

Last edited:
1/24/2023
View attachment 164945
Miriam Makeba - Miriam Makeba

Allmusic Review:

RIYL will come shortly.

3/5 for me. Much like Belafonte, this is directed at the whitebread masses for sure - an exotic-ified adult contemporary. Not something I would put on often, but once in a while it suits my fancy just right. The only Makeba I currently have in the stacks is the one with Belafonte but I would be happy to add more, this included. But definitely bargain bin flipping - I don't need a Speakers Corner or anything for this.

Back