The NBA Thread

I know Bron has already cemented himself as Top 2 all time but if Curry can snag another title I'm not sure how you don't put him Top 5. He's the ultimate modern era player, and if we're putting Wilt and Bill Russell up there I think he needs to be considered as well.
I think MJ, LeBron and Kareem are the only untouchables. Steph can definitely crack the top 5 when he retires, especially since his game will age like fine wine

Yesterday I had a whole day planned out by my girlfriend so I couldn't watch the game - I texted all my basketball fans and said please no score updates. I thought for sure there was no way I could go the entire day without hearing who had won but I made it home, sat down and watched the entire thing on my DVR and it was glorious.

Steph has been the most fun/dominate/exciting athlete that I've every seen in person (and growing up in the Bay Area I've seen Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Barry Bonds, Tim Lincecum, etc etc)

I would throw Russell into that top 4 untouchable, but don’t disagree with the idea that he could end his career at 5

Until he gets at least another ring I don't think he's ahead of Duncan either. Bill and Rusillo were talking about how Tim's greatness will be forgotten to time because what made him so fn good wasn't flashy. But the dude (+ Pop) kept the Spurs contenders for 15 years and won battles against some real powerhouses at a time that the West was absolutely stacked.

Curry's teammates over the years > Duncan's and Tim regular season consistency is ahead of Curry for now. Granted, Curry did more to change the game so it's damn close. But I can't help but punish him for the KD bullshit that basically broke the league.

I would throw Russell into that top 4 untouchable, but don’t disagree with the idea that he could end his career at 5
Yeah, Russell is maybe my favorite person to ever play ball (and I hate the Celtics) but it’s so hard because the league was so different. It’s lame and cheating but I often asterisk my lists to be non-Wilt or Russell era

Until he gets at least another ring I don't think he's ahead of Duncan either. Bill and Rusillo were talking about how Tim's greatness will be forgotten to time because what made him so fn good wasn't flashy. But the dude (+ Pop) kept the Spurs contenders for 15 years and won battles against some real powerhouses at a time that the West was absolutely stacked.

Curry's teammates over the years > Duncan's and Tim regular season consistency is ahead of Curry for now. Granted, Curry did more to change the game so it's damn close. But I can't help but punish him for the KD bullshit that basically broke the league.
I agree with Duncan and Magic over Curry. But I’d argue Steph has already surpassed Bird and Kobe, which makes him 7th all time on my list. We’re really splitting hairs here, though.

These last 3 rounds could be massive for legacies. Lebron, Steph, KD, CP3, Jokic, Embiid, and Jimmy all have a lot at stake. I just hope the Celtics don’t win it all because that would be such a boring outcome.

I agree with Duncan and Magic over Curry. But I’d argue Steph has already surpassed Bird and Kobe, which makes him 7th all time on my list. We’re really splitting hairs here, though.

These last 3 rounds could be massive for legacies. Lebron, Steph, KD, CP3, Jokic, Embiid, and Jimmy all have a lot at stake. I just hope the Celtics don’t win it all because that would be such a boring outcome.

I can't speak to Bird but I def have him ahead of both Kobe and Shaq. And yes, lots of legacies at play-- though you mispelled Lakers 🤣. God I'll be annoyed if they somehow win and get to celebrate a parade to the free throw line with an actual parade.

Side note on Jokic, you'd think Nuggets fans would be in a great mood after game one, but our collective panic meter over Jokic's wrist is rapidly rising. He re-injured it in game one versus the Wolves and his floaters / touch around the rim had been jarringly off since then-- minus a big game 4.

My guess is that it's a pain tolerance thing and some games will be better than others and that he may take the wrap off at some point and play through the pain. But if I'm the Suns, I'd consider blitzing Jamal tonight. Normally, leaving Jokic going downhill 4x3 is a recepie to get your asses handed to you, but I'd be tempted to force Jokic to prove the wrist is okay and the reduced effeciency isn't the new norm while wearing Jamal out.

I have my top 4, and then Bird/Magic/Duncan over Curry. I've had Curry over Kobe for a while.

As to the Russell point, I find him easy to rank. I find Wilt really difficult to rank. You could tell me he should be 5 or behind the rest of them at 10 and I don't think I would protest too much either way.

I have my top 4, and then Bird/Magic/Duncan over Curry. I've had Curry over Kobe for a while.

As to the Russell point, I find him easy to rank. I find Wilt really difficult to rank. You could tell me he should be 5 or behind the rest of them at 10 and I don't think I would protest too much either way.
Obviously there’s an unfair element to ranking someone I never watched, but I find it hard to rank Wilt that high because despite his insane physical and statistical dominance over his peers, he only has 2 rings to show for it. I’ll also add that Steph (and probably other players) could score 100 points in a game if that’s what he/his team wanted him to do.

Last edited:
Obviously there’s an unfair element to ranking someone I never watched, but I find it hard to rank Wilt that high because despite his insane physical and statistical dominance over his peers, he only has 2 rings to show for it. Ill also add that Steph (and probably other players) could score 100 points in a game if that’s what he/his team wanted him to do.
Yeah, its the weird stats/dominance versus the fact that he was absolutely owned by Russell when and where it counted.

Celtics had 66 points in the paint while shooting 68% and only committing 10 fouls the whole game. Feels like the sixers have never in my life stolen an important game by out-mathing a better team by chucking 3s and generating more possessions before tonight.

Man, no Herro, Oladipo, Butler and Strus leaves in the third and Knicks barely win. Let’s see what Saturday brings but this game just makes me think the Cavs weren’t very good (or very scared of the playoff lights).

Edit: is Scott Foster the best NY Knick since Ewing?

Last edited:
Emotionally preparing myself for the Nuggets to lose a hard fought WCF series with questionable officiating for the third time in my life. I'd so much rather face the Warriors regardless of which team we are more likely to beat.

Emotionally preparing myself for the Nuggets to lose a hard fought WCF series with questionable officiating for the third time in my life. I'd so much rather face the Warriors regardless of which team we are more likely to beat.
I feel the Warriors are the much tougher matchup because the nuggets can somewhat neutralize what AD does in the defensive end (I guess he can roam off Gordon but who would cover Jokic? LeBron?) and the warriors stretch out the nuggets defense in the worst ways just because of what Steph can do. I would still pick Denver in a series though.

I like Monty Williams and I know he doesn't have many buttons he can push with the depth on the roster, but the suns just cannot be serious with the amount of long 2s they're taking so far.

Being a Steph fan I’m obviously hoping for another GSW title, but the Nuggets will have 100% of my support if/when the Warriors are out. Joker deserves that ring!

I feel the Warriors are the much tougher matchup because the nuggets can somewhat neutralize what AD does in the defensive end (I guess he can roam off Gordon but who would cover Jokic? LeBron?) and the warriors stretch out the nuggets defense in the worst ways just because of what Steph can do. I would still pick Denver in a series though.

I like Monty Williams and I know he doesn't have many buttons he can push with the depth on the roster, but the suns just cannot be serious with the amount of long 2s they're taking so far.

Monty clearly wanted them shooting more 3's in game 2 and it actually backfired bc KD is way less effective from deep and wound up going 10/29 in a close game. But yes, they have a math problem.

Curry us scary and the Warriors will def stress our D but our best defenders outside of Gordon are also guards (KCP, Brown, Braun) and huge upgrades over who we haf last year. Meanwhile, Jokic had figured out Dray by the end of last year and owns Looney who is too small. And outside of Gary, they don't really have anyone to put on Jamal.

Conversely, the Lakers have AD to blow up the two man game with, Vanderbilt to put on Murray and Lebron to put on MPJ. And they have mad length which will mute Brown's impact.

I'd also rather attempt to knock off a dyanaty and fail than potentially lose to the Lakers again.

On the other hand, our best beat reporter nailed it. He had said that the wrist wrap Jokic was wearing was probably help limit pain and was likely was effecting Jokic's touch. Sure enough, Jokic trashed it after the 1st half and then went on a scoring spree.

Lastly, watching Harden go off was fun. Hope Embid is as close to healthy as possible to you guys get a reach chance at a run.

Last edited:
Bud out in Milwaukee. When they won the title in '21 I remember thinking I wouldn't be surprised if he got clipped. For some reason it felt like they won in spite of coaching. Guess it took a couple seasons to sink in.
Reminds me of The 2015 Royals with Ned Yost. Never thought Yost was a very good manager and felt like had he not won the WS that year he woulda been canned.

Last edited:
Back