The N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time!!!

It seems artificial thjough. Some artists are just better, or mean more to the indivifdual. Why should that be restricted?

Just because I would like to see more diverse individual lists in terms of artists. And artists that are considered better than others appear naturally higher on the list. And I guess ranked lists are always artificial to a certain degree, because they force you to quantify emotional attachment towards albums or perceived relevance of albums by numbers. But I see the problem that it would affect the personal freedom of choices, which is why I am too uncertain whether limiting same artists albums is a good idea.

I now have a massive list of potentials in my phone. Going to be fun going through them. Nearly missed an album that would be near the top, so I’ll need to keep an eye on it.

It’s made me realise that I don’t have a lot of my favourite albums on vinyl. Other than a short 6 month period, all the albums I bought until recently were on CD or download. I’ve always known this; I love my music collection, but I don’t know that I love all of my record collection, if that makes sense.

I suppose the question is should I buy Spiderland by Slint for the third time, or do I just accept that I have it on CD/FLAC and that’s all I need?

I now have a massive list of potentials in my phone. Going to be fun going through them. Nearly missed an album that would be near the top, so I’ll need to keep an eye on it.

It’s made me realise that I don’t have a lot of my favourite albums on vinyl. Other than a short 6 month period, all the albums I bought until recently were on CD or download. I’ve always known this; I love my music collection, but I don’t know that I love all of my record collection, if that makes sense.

I suppose the question is should I buy Spiderland by Slint for the third time, or do I just accept that I have it on CD/FLAC and that’s all I need?

Yeah I had that dilemma and I bought most of them again 😱

There’s nothing rational about this whole music collecting thing 😂

Last edited:
So just to be clear, go with your personal favorites? I was going to do a mix of personal taste and albums I see as landmarks or influential... BUT it would certainly be more fun to fill the list with whatever I want 🤪
I'll try to go favorites because if judging landmarks or influential those views are probably largely formed by the same people that do the other lists like es. So give us your death grips

I'll try to go favorites because if judging landmarks or influential those views are probably largely formed by the same people that do the other lists like es. So give us your death grips
100% favourites for me. My list is free of a lot of “important” artists and albums, either because I don’t like them or because I haven’t heard it. My list of omitted artists is probably some folks top 20...

I bought most new releases on CD until 2016. During the same time, most of my vinyl purchases were for older releases from the 1960s-1990s. I spent the last 4 years re-buying my favorites from my CD collection on vinyl 😂

I bought most new releases on CD until 2016. During the same time, most of my vinyl purchases were for older releases from the 1960s-1990s. I spent the last 4 years re-buying my favorites from my CD collection on vinyl 😂
Yeah, pretty much the same time period for me. As much as I enjoyed being part of it, there is a big part of my collection that’s VMP stuff. I like having it, but I didn’t necessarily choose it, if that makes sense.

I’ve recently got some of my old favourites on vinyl, and I’ve really enjoyed it. I won’t be rushing to replace them, but if I can do it cheaply I’ll be up for it.

Yes! So glad to see another @Woob_woob list thread! I've been working on my favorite albums list since last summer :oops: haha but I feel like I've finally got it to a good place. I have just over 200 albums on it and looking at the list, I can't imagine cutting it at 50. Hell, it's going to be hard to even cut it to 100 honestly. Some albums that I absolutely love are sitting in that 100-150 range. Parliament - Mothership Connection is at 51 for me but 100% belongs on this list. Also, B.B. King - Live at the Regal is top 2 for me, but no other B.B. makes the top 125 so I'm definitely an advocate for live albums. The energy of that show and that album is just amazing!

Anyway, super excited to participate and this is the push I needed to finally finalize this thing!haha

I'm in too. It's gonna be a lot of fun compiling a list of 50 or 100 of my personal favourite albums, and then comparing what other members like, and if and where my choices end up on the final list. But the difficult part for me is gonna be ranking them. I don't really have like an absolute favourite album, but a whole bunch of favourites, also depending on mood.

Back