The N&G Science Discussion Thread

Does Discovery, History, Science or National Geographic channels still make specials on space? I haven't seen really any good new shows exploring the latest theories or covering the latest findings in several years. I love that stuff.

Does Discovery, History, Science or National Geographic channels still make specials on space? I haven't seen really any good new shows exploring the latest theories or covering the latest findings in several years. I love that stuff.
It’s probably been a solid decade at this point but Discovery had a show call How The Universe Works narrated by Mike Rowe. It was solid and they still show it in reruns on The Science Channel.

Then Fox/National Geographic did a new run of The Cosmos hosted by Neil Degrass Tyson. I think the last one aired back in 2020 though.

And Netflix did a docuseries call Our Universe that narrated by Morgan Freeman released back in 2022

Outside of that, There is also Curiosity Stream which I have almost signed up for but never have.

Last edited:
It’s probably been a solid decade at this point but Discovery had a show call How The Universe Works narrated by Mike Rowe. It was solid and they still show it in reruns on The Science Channel.

Then Fox/National Geographic did a new run of The Cosmos hosted by Neil Degrass Tyson. I think the last one aired back in 2020 though.

And Netflix did a docuseries call Our Universe released back in 2022

Outside of that, There is also Curiosity Stream which I have almost signed up for but never have.

I did sign up for Curiosity Stream for a hot minute. I found it wasn't really worth it to me. A lot of the content was older and low budget. They really only had a hand full of episodes that were of any interest to me, and slow to add new content. After I watch everything once there was not really any point of holding onto it.

How the Universe Works was one of my favorite series. I wish they would continue it. I vaguely remember "The Cosmos" now. Was excited for that show and not much happened with it. I only know of like one season that ran on Fox. Did more seasons end up being made for National Greographic?

I did sign up for Curiosity Stream for a hot minute. I found it wasn't really worth it to me. A lot of the content was older and low budget. They really only had a hand full of episodes that were of any interest to me, and slow to add new content. After I watch everything once there was not really any point of holding onto it.

How the Universe Works was one of my favorite series. I wish they would continue it. I vaguely remember "The Cosmos" now. Was excited for that show and not much happened with it. I only know of like one season that ran on Fox. Did more seasons end up being made for National Greographic?
I think there was just one more season thus far. It might be available on Disney+.

Anyways, here's a summary of that article.

It was previously thought that kimberlite volcanoes haven't erupted in 40 million years. That they just stopped erupting after being active for 2.5 billion years, so it was assumed they were extinct.

However, a few recent breakthroughs and one discovery are changing that belief.

They have discovered that kimberlite volcanoes have not erupted consistently over earth's history, but rather have had periods of high activity and periods of no activity. They found the periods of high activity occurred approximately 26 million years after each supercontinent breakup. Which has happened 3 times in Earth's history. Things were very active during these peaks, but slowed down close to being non existing or millions of years or between eruptions outside of these time periods.

What is important to know here is the African Rift Valley started rifting 25 million years ago. What this means is we are very near 26 million years, a where a period of kimberlite volcanic eruptions should be expected based on what we now understand about these types of eruptions.

And sure enough, they just discovered that a volcano that erupted 10,000 years ago in Africa is a kimberlite volcano. They saw there very clear signature when doing a ultrasonic survey when studying the volcano. This appears to be the first and only known eruption so far related to the new rifting that's going on. But could be a sign that a period of activity has started.

Who's ready for it to rain diamonds? Because these volcano's launch diamonds into the atmosphere at supersonic speeds during eruptions.

Back