The N&G Listening Club V1 - Archive only

Ladies and gentlemen, it's an honor to put this thing in motion.

And for the first N+G Listening Club record we'll put time in motion as well as we go back to 1967.
It's an year in which time itself is very shifty -- there's lots of Eddies in the space-time continuum.

The Beatles have just projected the psychedelic-fueled hippie era into the absolute mainstream with the release of Sgt. Pepper, practically breathing the same air for several months as Syd Barret and co. down at Abbey Road Studios in London. 3 months later, they put out their deliciously-psychedelic debut, Piper at the Gates of Dawn. It's not a hot take to say this period was a peak of human artistic creativity.

The artist behind our record however was tasting a different kind of air; he was actually on the doorstep of the place this whole movement called Home. Across the pond and across the continent, not only a creative but also a climatic hotbed was giving life to Los Angeles. You had icons like The Doors, Jefferson Airplane and Love, all creating some of their best works; Frank Sinatra was just awarded 5 Grammies in a local ceremony, and Sony & Cher were filming their musical thriller comedy Good Times. But while they were busy with that nonsense, one of their session players, a very talented pianist/guitarist, took advantage of the free studio time the duo's work thankfully created to lay down a more natural and grounded concept...only not in the way you might think.

Inspired by Haitian Voodoo books his sister thought fitting to serve as gifts, Mac Rebennack managed to conjure to life one the few soundscapes truly worthy of the psychedelic title. For while many other works claiming this label could be seen as coming from an escapist drug affair of a western society completely forsaken by any sort of spiritual connection with the land and world it inhabited, this was supposed to be different. Think more Cortes' & Ramahlo's Paebiru than Are You Experienced. More Jim Morrison's Oedipus relentlessly chasing down his father on The End than Grace Slick's Alice tripping down the hole on White Rabbit. And for its daringness, it didn't go unnoticed -- ripples of it carry all the way to Bone Machine era Tom Waits (supposedly, he was so enchanted by the album he drafted Mac's producer Harold Battiste to work on his last two Asylum albums -- just before he as well went off the beaten path with Swordfishtrombones).

This is to be listened at night. Put your kids to sleep. Feed the dogs and let them outside. Cats will probably love it.
It is a smoky affair, instruments and voices permeating from all possible angles as if from a swampy ceremonial gathering just outside the planes of this realm, sometimes far away, sometimes really close, at all times unreachable. So put this on. Light something up -- a candle at the least. And let Mac Rebennack's words take you away:

“To you whom I may communicate with shortly through the smoke of Deaux-Deaux the rattlesnake whose forked tongue hisses pig Latin in silk and satin da-zaw-ig-day, may the gilded splinters of Auntie Andre spew forth in your path to light and guide your way through the bayous of life.”
– Dr John
Gris-Gris, by Dr. John, The Night Tripper

SpotifyiTunesYoutube

Last edited:

And for the first N+G Listening Club record we'll put time in motion as well as we go back to 1967.
It's an year in which time itself is very shifty -- there's lots of Eddies in the space-time continuum.

The Beatles have just projected the psychedelic-fueled hippie era into the absolute mainstream with the release of Sgt. Pepper, practically breathing the same air for several months as Syd Barret and co. down at Abbey Road Studios in London, who 3 months later put out their deliciously-psychedelic debut, Piper at the Gates of Dawn. It's not a hot take to say this period was a peak of human artistic creativity.

The artist behind our record however was tasting a different kind of air; he was actually on the doorstep of the place this whole movement called Home. Across the pond and across the continent, not only a creative but also a climatic hotbed was giving life to Los Angeles. You had icons like The Doors, Jefferson Airplane and Love, all creating some of their best works; Frank Sinatra was just awarded 5 Grammies in a local ceremony, and Sony & Cher were filming their musical thriller comedy Good Times. But while they were busy with that nonsense, one of their session players, a very talented pianist/guitarist, took advantage of the free studio time the duo's work thankfully created to lay down a more natural and grounded concept...only not in the way you might think.

Inspired by Haitian Voodoo books his sister thought fitting to serve as gifts, Mac Rebennack managed to conjure to life one the few soundscapes truly worthy of the psychedelic title. For while many other works claiming this label could be seen as coming from an escapist drug affair of a western society completely forsaken by any sort of spiritual connection with the land and world it inhabited, this was supposed to be different. Think more Cortes' & Ramahlo's Paebiru than Are You Experienced. More Jim Morrison's Oedipus relentlessly chasing down his father on The End than Grace Slick's Alice tripping down the hole on White Rabbit. And for its daringness, it didn't go unnoticed -- ripples of it carry all the way to Bone Machine era Tom Waits (supposedly, he was so enchanted by the album he drafted Mac's producer Harold Battiste to work on his last two Asylum albums -- just before he as well went off the beaten path with Swordfishtrombones).

This is to be listened at night. Put your kids to sleep. Feed the dogs and let them outside. Cats will probably love it.
It is a smoky affair, instruments and voices permeating from all possible angles as if from a swampy ceremonial gathering just outside the planes of this realm, sometimes far away, sometimes really close, at all times unreachable. So put this on. Light something up -- a candle at the least. And let Mac Rebennack's words take you away:

“To you whom I may communicate with shortly through the smoke of Deaux-Deaux the rattlesnake whose forked tongue hisses pig Latin in silk and satin da-zaw-ig-day, may the gilded splinters of Auntie Andre spew forth in your path to light and guide your way through the bayous of life.”
– Dr John
View attachment 1120

SpotifyiTunesYoutube
Wow, great write up! Love this album.

Wow, that write-up has me nervous for my own recommendation!

Sounds great. Can't wait to give it a spin.
Haha, me too! I didn’t realize I was signing up to make a rec until after I did, lol. I mean I will no issue but I see now the bar is set quite high. I should get started now...

Wow, great write up! Love this album.
Wow, that write-up has me nervous for my own recommendation!

Sounds great. Can't wait to give it a spin.
Haha, me too! I didn’t realize I was signing up to make a rec until after I did, lol. I mean I will no issue but I see now the bar is set quite high. I should get started now...

Thank you, I had so much fun writing this and skirting other responsibilities!

I really look forward to your and other's thoughts on the album, it's one of my favourite man-made things.

(I actually discovered Dr. John last year, from a notable member of this forum posting a pic and description of Dr. John's Gumbo in the what's spinning thread. If only I'd remember who this person was, so I could thank him..)

Last edited:

The Beatles have just projected the psychedelic-fueled hippie era into the absolute mainstream with the release of Sgt. Pepper, practically breathing the same air for several months as Syd Barret and co. down at Abbey Road Studios in London. 3 months later, they put out their deliciously-psychedelic debut, Piper at the Gates of Dawn. It's not a hot take to say this period was a peak of human artistic creativity.

– Dr John
View attachment 1120

SpotifyiTunesYoutube

Wow. Excellent write-up. I'm looking forward to listening to this one too.

I know it's at the bottom of your post but here's the embedded Spotify link in case anybody needs it ...

quick question, are we avoiding using the same artist twice
I don’t think we ever put that rule into place befor. Just be conscious of what you are picking, don’t do the same artist twice within a month or two.

This sounds right to me. I don't mind duplicate artists but it would be better if it has been awhile since we've had them as a pick.

– Dr John
View attachment 1120

SpotifyiTunesYoutube

Dang, I was gonna put my name in the hat, but I’d never be able to present a write up like this so maybe I’d be better as just a passive listener lol. Good work!

In terms of this album, I realized that while this is one that I've actually never listened to, I do own it on vinyl because it was a part of my father-in-law's record collection that he gave us when we moved so I'll try to spin it tomorrow when I have a day off from work.

Not really related but if you haven't, check Cher's cover of Walk On Guilded Splinters.. it's phenomenal.. as is the whole album it's from.

Beck's "Loser" also samples the song, which I always thought was the Dr. John version but according to Whosampled, it's actually the drum beat from a 1970 recording by Johnny Jenkins

Beck's "Loser" also samples the song, which I always thought was the Dr. John version but according to Whosampled, it's actually the drum beat from a 1970 recording by Johnny Jenkins

I also own that record and recommend both that and the Cher very highly. Both artists are backed by Muscle Shoals at their finest.

Back