The N&G Listening Club V1 - Archive only

Not really related but if you haven't, check Cher's cover of Walk On Guilded Splinters.. it's phenomenal.. as is the whole album it's from.

Wasn't familiar with either cover version, but Humble Pie also has an amazing jam blues-rock version of it.

If you want to read more, this is a great blogpost about the circumstances around Gris-Gris happening and the person of Mac Rebennack in general:

Wasn't familiar with either cover version, but Humble Pie also has an amazing jam blues-rock version of it.

If you want to read more, this is a great blogpost about the circumstances around Gris-Gris happening and the person of Mac Rebennack in general:

Great link! I'm a huge fan of Macs and will buy any record that has a cover of Walk.. same reason I own that Humble Pie Live @ Fillmore's.. Pretty sure the LP version is like 10+ minutes.

wow, it's 23 minutes long actually. Thanks for pointing me towards this, I think i know what to listen now..

I knew it was really long, just didn't remember it was that long but now iirc, it does take an entire side of one of the two lps.. On a similar note, if you haven't already.. definitely listen to the albums Mac cut with Allen Toussaint and The Meters. Definitely his funkiest, and arguably best, material.

Dang, I was gonna put my name in the hat, but I’d never be able to present a write up like this so maybe I’d be better as just a passive listener lol. Good work!
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. V intimidating. How awful would it have been to go first and be like :

“This record rules so hard. Check out the sick guitars on track 7. Loved this growing up. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts”

And then this dr j masterpiece write up follows yours :ROFLMAO:

I knew it was really long, just didn't remember it was that long but now iirc, it does take an entire side of one of the two lps.. On a similar note, if you haven't already.. definitely listen to the albums Mac cut with Allen Toussaint and The Meters. Definitely his funkiest, and arguably best, material.

Definitely funkier and more accomplished, but for me, there's something magic in his first 4 albums before hitting it big with Gumbo. The voodooness of it all makes it something more than just music for me. I have the same feeling towards the Doors. I love that feeling.

Great album, even the lesser known tracks add to the feel of it all. Mac Rebenack went to some New Orleans witch doctors to make sure he wouldn’t be cursed for coming up with the Doctor John character. Very dense and swampy in places musically but all the better for it.

Just trying to get the respect for the great boot state it never seems to get

Both me and my wife swear some of the best live music we ever heard was from a bunch of kids that would play outside the racecourse the three times we visited the festival. So much talent. It’s about 13 years since we last visited, I’d love to know if any of them made it big.

You know, I regrettably had never checked out this album (or Dr. John) before today.

First impressions:

1. Loving the African rhythms. I recognize these from a lot of Ghana music on track 2 in particular, would love to know how close or far off I am with that assessment.
2. I am seriously wondering how much time Tom Waits, Captain Beefheart, or Arthur Brown spent with this album. I am hearing a lot of "borrowed" elements that I am legitimately wondering if came from here or from similar musical listening to what Dr. John was checking out.

Again, I plead ignorance to this artist and album so if I'm wayyyyyy off, please point me in the right direction :)

QUESTION:
I have found several mono issuings of this recently, but I am wondering how mono translates with all the stereo panning happening on track one. Can anyone speak from experience with mono vs. stereo of this album?

You know, I regrettably had never checked out this album (or Dr. John) before today.

First impressions:

1. Loving the African rhythms. I recognize these from a lot of Ghana music on track 2 in particular, would love to know how close or far off I am with that assessment.
2. I am seriously wondering how much time Tom Waits, Captain Beefheart, or Arthur Brown spent with this album. I am hearing a lot of "borrowed" elements that I am legitimately wondering if came from here or from similar musical listening to what Dr. John was checking out.

Again, I plead ignorance to this artist and album so if I'm wayyyyyy off, please point me in the right direction :)

QUESTION:
I have found several mono issuings of this recently, but I am wondering how mono translates with all the stereo panning happening on track one. Can anyone speak from experience with mono vs. stereo of this album?
Man, I totally missed those reissues. I have the Rhino from 2013 but I might have to at least go for the KG mono. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.

Wow, this is not what I was expecting. I'm not a blues fan and had low expectations. I thought i was in for some Jools Holland boogie woogie bullshit, but man, I could not have been more wrong. This is nuts. Totally psychedelic jazzed up madness. Croker Courtbullion sounds like the theme to some fucked up detective TV series. It's all over the place. I love it. Thanks for the recommendation. Also, Tom Waits sounds like he listened to this album A LOT.

Wow, this is not what I was expecting. I'm not a blues fan and had low expectations. I thought i was in for some Jools Holland boogie woogie bullshit, but man, I could not have been more wrong. This is nuts. Totally psychedelic jazzed up madness. Croker Courtbullion sounds like the theme to some fucked up detective TV series. It's all over the place. I love it. Thanks for the recommendation. Also, Tom Waits sounds like he listened to this album A LOT.

Man, one of the funniest thing I read on the last place was you referencing Jools 'shoehorning' his boogie woogie bullshit into someone's performance. Every time I see Jools on the tele now I think of that and it makes me chuckle.

Back