The N&G Listening Club V2

So it's kind of awkward announcing yourself...so I'm just inserting my pick here. I was going to post this yesterday but work had its way with my life...so now I am competing for listens against Fleet Foxes...wish me luck. This pick was a pivotal album in my journey to loving and appreciating jazz. This album came out in June of 2001 and features Uri Caine (pianist), Christian McBride (bassist), and Ahmir Questlove Thompson (drummer). Questlove was who really drew me into wanting to check this album out. I was in my early twenties when I first heard this and my appreciation for jazz was very limited. I liked the Roots...so I had to check this out right? This album has been described by critics as a perfect intertwining of jazz, hip hop and soul. This served as a gateway for many listeners, including myself, that mostly appreciated hip hop to enter and appreciate the world of jazz....and vise versa....getting primarily jazz listeners to appreciate and listen to hip hop. A perfect union indeed.

I present to you:
The Philadelphia Experiment - Philadelphia Experiment

Looking forward... @Matt M is on the clock for a pick on or around October 5th.

Last edited:
Soooooooooo, I am a day late... my apologies.

The album I have chosen this week is a modern electronic group with a retro vibe. They are a duo, but their sound is manipulated/mixed live by a third member (who happens to be Egan Frantz, son of Chris Frantz & Tina Weymouth). I spent a lot of time with this album last summer and I am thrilled to be able to share it with people, as I am finding that they are still relatively obscure.

Your listening pleasure this week: Xeno & Oaklander, Hypnos.

I streamed this album a few times. I wanted to do some research on this group because I had never heard of them before. I came across this review that I thought was interesting. <The Quietus | Reviews | Xeno & Oaklander>

I really dug the instrumentation on this album. Retro vibe is a perfect description. I enjoyed it!

This is around October 5th, right? Life has kinda been in the way, and just remembered I was next!

I'm going with one of my all time favorites, Kontiki by Cotton Mather. This runs in the Power Pop genre I guess, with all the Beatle-y moments. Robert Harrison owes a bit to the Fab Four in his projects with Cotton Mather and Future Clouds & Radar. These guys are in Austin, and I was able to catch Robert solo at a little diner a couple years back. He's still working and making music, and did a project that included Nicole Atkins not long ago.

Unfortunately, this one is a little spendy to grab on vinyl. Still waiting for the right copy to pop up. If anyone in Austin happens to see one, let me know!

This is around October 5th, right? Life has kinda been in the way, and just remembered I was next!

I'm going with one of my all time favorites, Kontiki by Cotton Mather. This runs in the Power Pop genre I guess, with all the Beatle-y moments. Robert Harrison owes a bit to the Fab Four in his projects with Cotton Mather and Future Clouds & Radar. These guys are in Austin, and I was able to catch Robert solo at a little diner a couple years back. He's still working and making music, and did a project that included Nicole Atkins not long ago.

Unfortunately, this one is a little spendy to grab on vinyl. Still waiting for the right copy to pop up. If anyone in Austin happens to see one, let me know!

Why would you name your band Cotton Mather?

I've always heard good things about this album but have never given it a listen...

Back