The N&G Listening Club V1 - Archive only

In Australia not many rural indigenous get a chance to record music and push it out to the masses so I thought id show you an album most of you wouldn't of heard. Its done by skinny music (Gurrumul's is also on this label and is very popular) which is one of the very few labels who are making the effort. I believe this band also toured alongside queen of stone age for a while so if you attended on them concerts recently you might know these songs.

It is a short album of 5 songs (Double that if you count extended + a live track) so give the 5 tracks a listen and let me know how you feel about it.

It isn't hiphop. It is basically country rock I think.

Enjoy!

Support the little guys!

I liked this. Listened to the original 5 songs of the EP. Found it fun and distinctive. Do they have more releases you'd recommend?

I tried to give it a pass at work yesterday, but it was not conducive to the tasks I was working on at The time. Will try to get around to it again today or tomorrow.

Nice pick, the genre here is one of those things where I think people nearly want to say 'world music' because they're indiginous. Probably not as much the case as with someone like Gurrumul, but that aboriginal Australian culture influence is obviously there, but like hybridised with the country/rock kind of thing like you said.

Only complaint is that its not longer!

I liked this. Listened to the original 5 songs of the EP. Found it fun and distinctive. Do they have more releases you'd recommend?

I'd recommend checking out the other artists on the label:

Gurrumul in particular and his last album Djarimirri, which was one of my favourite albums last year. Vibe is a bit different but I still think you'll pick up on it. Archie Roach would be an obvious suggestion more in line with this style, and even Paul Kelly sometimes too.

The music of our youth leaves an undeniable impression on us. It informs our musical taste well into adulthood. Memories are tied to them. It can be as powerful as that smell of mom’s chocolate chip cookies, taking us to a time and place.

Christmas 1979. My parents got me a turntable. It was a Sears Roebuck model that folded into suitcase and looked like a pair of jeans.
D0B39011-7701-4D4B-91A8-75CFE7EF8356.jpeg
I also got three 45s. Two would lead to a lifetime obsession: The Beatles Hey Jude b/w Revolution and Lady Madonna B/w The Inner Light.

The third, definitely directed a lot of my listening in high school. It was odd and I have no idea what my parents were thinking. First of all, this had to be Tipper Gore moment of parental negligence. While not Darling Nikki at the breakfast table bad, it was still not great given the content of many of the songs on the album the singles came from. I really should ask them.

I sort of know though. While today, I’m not sure my parents listen to anything not made or approved by yhe Gaithers, they were decidedly more hip when I was six. My guess has always been that they’d heard the b-side (which became the band’s biggest hit) on the radio and otherwise oblivious to the antics of the musicians they had just subjected their six old to.

so, I’ve gotten this far and not mentioned the band or album, because until @Bohnjaggs updates the title, there’s a chance this is coming out of left field for you.

The seven inch was Detroit Rock City b/w Beth. That ballad was what I assume my parents heard... they certainly had not heard God of Thunder or Sweet Pain, as I guess my mother would have frowned at such things.

The album this week is Destroyer by Kiss:
D16057A4-12F4-45AD-8BE7-0910D1B48A02.jpeg
This was the follow up to their live album Alive! That was their commercial breakthrough. Detroit Rock City is about a rocker dying on the way to a show. The band has become a cartoon on the cover. This was a new day for Kiss. A new album. They brought in Bob Ezrin who had work with Alice Cooper and Pink Floyd, to produce. What they got was a weird album... one where Detroit Rock City and Beth work together against all odds. There are more staple type Kiss songs here (looking at you Shout it Out Loud!)

I said I while back that I apologized for the pick I was thinking about. Now you know why.

I’m hoping that we don’t spend the next two weeks pointing out that there is a sexism to some of the songs that is not conducive to certain narratives of the day. I also hope that people can get past prejudices and give this quite weird album a chance.

Last edited:
The music of our youth leaves an undeniable impression on us. It informs our musical taste well into adulthood. Memories are tied to them. It can be as powerful as that smell of mom’s chocolate chip cookies, taking us to a time and place.

Christmas 1979. My parents got me a turntable. It was a Sears Roebuck model that folded into suitcase and looked like a pair of jeans.
View attachment 22967
I also got three 45s. Two would lead to a lifetime obsession: The Beatles Hey Jude b/w Revolution and Lady Madonna B/w The Inner Light.

The third, definitely directed a lot of my listening in high school. It was odd and I have no idea what my parents were thinking. First of all, this had to be Tipper Gore moment of parental negligence. While not Darling Nikki at the breakfast table bad, it was still not great given the content of many of the songs on the album the singles came from. I really should ask them.

I sort of know though. While today, I’m not sure my parents listen to anything not made or approved by yhe Gaithers, they were decidedly more hip when I was six. My guess has always been that they’d heard the b-side (which became the band’s biggest hit) on the radio and otherwise oblivious to the antics of the musicians they had just subjected their six old to.

so, I’ve gotten this far and not mentioned the band or album, because until @Bohnjaggs updates the title, there’s a chance this is coming out of left field for you.

The seven inch was Detroit Rock City b/w Beth. That ballad was what I assume my parents heard... they certainly had not heard God of Thunder or Sweet Pain, as I guess my mother would have frowned at such things.

The album this week is Destroyer by Kiss:
View attachment 22968
This was the follow up to their live album Alive! That was their commercial breakthrough. Detroit Rock City is about a rocket dying on the way to a show. The band has become a cartoon on the cover. This was a new day for Kiss. A new album. They brought in Bob Ezrin who had work with Alice Cooper and Pink Floyd, to produce. What they got was a weird album... one where Detroit Rock City and Beth work together against all odds. There are more staple type Kiss songs here (looking at you Shout it Out Loud!)

I said I while back that I apologized for the lick I was thinking. Now you know why.

I’m hoping that we don’t spend the next two weeks pointing out that their is a sexism to some of the songs that is not conducive to certain narratives of the day. I also hope that people can get past prejudices and give this quite weird album a chance.

I can wait a day or two to update the title so it doesn't spoil the surprise

I also want to clarify that I realize that some of the more problematic lyrics will be talked about and I actually look forward to that conversation. Hell for all I know I’m reading too much into them but I think songs like God of Thunder have some issues and it will be interesting to see where the conversation goes.

It’s also a weird album made even weirder by the fact that this was their most successful album and Beth was their biggest hit

I am not sure I have ever listened to a KISS album in full. I am not very impressed with their musical abilities. That said, out of hundreds of different shows they earned top spot for best show I have ever been too. It melts the face. They know how to perform. Sometimes I still see a faint burn in of the bigass KISS letters stage light when I close my eyes which was prominently visible for literally days after the show. The KISS army that turns out for the show has been the most raucous, raving, and depraved sight I have seen at a show to date as well, even topping what I saw at Motley Crue.

As an aside, I did enjoy the coming of age movie Detroit Rock City.

I am not sure I have ever listened to a KISS album in full. I am not very impressed with their musical abilities. That said, out of hundreds of different shows they earned top spot for best show I have ever been too. It melts the face. They know how to perform. Sometimes I still see a faint burn in of the bigass KISS letters stage light when I close my eyes which was prominently visible for literally days after the show. The KISS army that turns out for the show has been the most raucous, raving, and depraved sight I have seen at a show to date as well, even topping what I saw at Motley Crue.

Nope, they’re not prog Rock by any stretch of the imagination. Perform is what they do.

One of the interesting things about this album is that it is their response to the success of their live album and it’s the most interesting album, musically, that they ever made.

I never saw them live. That kind of spectacle isn’t really my scene. Sounds like it really isn’t.

You have to give kiss some credit.
Atleast they knew they had to stand out otherwise theyd be forgotten/looked over.
In a little way they are kinda responsible for the current detroit hiphop scene (the part of it that isnt bland)

You have to give kiss some credit.
Atleast they knew they had to stand out otherwise theyd be forgotten/looked over.
In a little way they are kinda responsible for the current detroit hiphop scene (the part of it that isnt bland)
I really want to know more about this...

Listened on the way to work. It's everything I remembered it being. Flaming Youth is definitely my favorite track on there. Beth, while sad and different, is pretty typical weak song writing. The production is actually pretty strong to bring up otherwise relatively weak playing. some fo the guitar hooks are pretty foot stompish but the drumming, while passable, never really changes up at all. At least for about 30 minutes I felt like a 13yo again. It reminded me that I never got to see an Alice Cooper set which I think may have been able to top KISS. My final thought is that I do have a KISS record in my collection; Animalize.

Listened on the way to work. It's everything I remembered it being. Flaming Youth is definitely my favorite track on there. Beth, while sad and different, is pretty typical weak song writing. The production is actually pretty strong to bring up otherwise relatively weak playing. some fo the guitar hooks are pretty foot stompish but the drumming, while passable, never really changes up at all. At least for about 30 minutes I felt like a 13yo again. It reminded me that I never got to see an Alice Cooper set which I think may have been able to top KISS. My final thought is that I do have a KISS record in my collection; Animalize.
didnt Def Leppard have an album with a similar title?

Back