The Latest News from Neptune - a Sun Ra thread

Any other Ra fanatics have favorites tied to specific eras of the group? Always into re-examining the catalog with some new perspective.

Great question!

Some of these I'm sure are subject to change from time to time, while a few remain ever consistent for me.
These days, based on how much of the catalogue I've carved out time to investigate, it looks a little something like this:

The Chicago Years
Sound of Joy
Angels and Demons at Play

The New York Years
The Magic City
Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy

The Philadelphia Years (1969-1975)
Space is the Place
Discipline 27-II

The Philadelphia Years (1976-1980)
New Steps
Some Blues But Not the Kind That's Blue

The Philadelphia Years (1981-1993)
A Fireside Chat With Lucifer
Celestial Love

Solo
Monorails and Satellites Vols. 1, 2 and 3

Live
In Some Far Place: Roma '77

Solid list! Definitely has a lot of my favorites too. I am very fond of "God is more than love can ever be." So awesome to hear him in a piano trio context.

Solid list! Definitely has a lot of my favorites too. I am very fond of "God is more than love can ever be." So awesome to hear him in a piano trio context.

A moment of sheer absent-mindedness on my part to miss that one on my list. It's a very special recording indeed!

I think there's something extra special about it, the Horo stuff and Roma '77, for sure.

Great question!

Some of these I'm sure are subject to change from time to time, while a few remain ever consistent for me.
These days, based on how much of the catalogue I've carved out time to investigate, it looks a little something like this:

The Chicago Years
Sound of Joy
Angels and Demons at Play

The New York Years
The Magic City
Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy

The Philadelphia Years (1969-1975)
Space is the Place
Discipline 27-II

The Philadelphia Years (1976-1980)
New Steps
Some Blues But Not the Kind That's Blue

The Philadelphia Years (1981-1993)
A Fireside Chat With Lucifer
Celestial Love

Solo
Monorails and Satellites Vols. 1, 2 and 3

Live
In Some Far Place: Roma '77

No Astro Black!?

No Astro Black!?

I was trying to keep things very succinct. There are a lot of albums I love not on that list. Astro Black is one of them. '69-'75 is where a lot of my favourites lie, so that one could be a long list if I hadn't been keeping it to 2.

A moment of sheer absent-mindedness on my part to miss that one on my list. It's a very special recording indeed!

I think there's something extra special about it, the Horo stuff and Roma '77, for sure.
Yea, never really heard him play in a small group until this late 70s period. I think it really lets his playing shine vs. the usual sax pyrotechnics and multi-layered percussion or vocals that often take front and center.

I thought I would share some thoughts on the recent Strut reissue of Sun Ra ‎– Lanquidity.

I went for the 4LP 45rpm box set that contains the 1978 Philly Jazz Commercial Pressing (2LP's), the 1978 Philly Jazz Alternate Version (2LP's) and an additional booklet of interviews, photos, and track info.

First of all, I had never listened to the full album before so I was basically going into this blind. The music itself is fantastic and a great melding of straight-ahead jazz, funk, soul, and free approaches that create a really great set of tracks. From the different Sun Ra albums that I have heard, I get the impression that these are the building blocks to his music and depending on how he is feeling he sways more into different areas. For example, last years Egypt 1971 box set has a much more avant-garde/free approach to the music heard in the Lanquidity set. Another confirmation of this is that my fiancee managed to sit in the same room with Lanquidity playing (maybe even a subtle hint of foot-tapping?) whereas I would never dream of playing Egypt 1971 without risk of tuts, sighs, eye-rolls and exclamations of "How is this even considered music?"

The Alternate Version is the differently remixed album by New York producer Bob Blank that was originally pressed in a super limited quantity and sold at a Sun Ra gig at Georgia Tech in 1978. The mix is different enough that it's worth hearing but still obviously the same music/tracks. It's more that an emphasis has been placed on different instruments which is a really interesting approach (to me anyway).

The quality of the set itself is really solid. The box is sturdy and the mirror effect doesn't feel like it will scratch easily. The 'Commercial Pressing' is housed in a wide spined jacket with matching mirror effect and the 'Alternate Version' is in a wide spined white jacket with paste-on yellow-tinted graphics/track-listing. The Alternate Version also uses plain black labels which, along with the paste on, is likely a nod to its original DIY release.

There are some negatives to it though. The main one by far is the use of paper inners. For the love of God, I wish that companies would stop using these. They have clearly put so much effort into this set, with an emphasis on quality, but it means nothing if the LP's are covered in surface marks and debris from these shitty inners. I had a look on Discogs and several copies have surface noise as a result. My copy of the Commercial Pressing is fine but the first LP in the Alternative Version has pops and ticks throughout the A/B-side - I have taken a video and will be sending it to Strut to get that LP replaced (hopefully). The booklet IS good but I think I was spoilt with the one that was created for the Egypt 1971 set (which is essentially a detailed biography from that period). The booklet in the Lanquidity box has fewer pages and is made up of 4 short interviews (one page each) and a few photos. Finally, whilst the Commercial Pressing LP's are nice and flat, the first LP in the Alternative Version does have a warp which is annoying. Not bad enough to jump the needle but not far off.

As long as I am able to get the A/B Alternative Version replaced I will be really happy with it and certainly glad that I went for this over the standard release.

View attachment 106784
View attachment 106785
View attachment 106786

Popmarket has pushed their release date back for this twice since I ordered it, so today I cancelled that order and put one in through Juno instead. Gonna cost me a few dollars more in the end, but it seems like it'll get here much sooner at this point! I kinda wish I made the switch a few weeks ago, but at least I've had great luck so far with Juno stuff getting here quickly.

Popmarket has pushed their release date back for this twice since I ordered it, so today I cancelled that order and put one in through Juno instead. Gonna cost me a few dollars more in the end, but it seems like it'll get here much sooner at this point! I kinda wish I made the switch a few weeks ago, but at least I've had great luck so far with Juno stuff getting here quickly.
Ah how annoying. Juno tend to be quite reliable though so hopefully you will have that copy soon!

Ah how annoying. Juno tend to be quite reliable though so hopefully you will have that copy soon!

I've had nothing but good experiences with them so far - not the least of which is the fact their shipping is typically cheaper than ordering anything from right here in Canada! It can be hit or miss on prices themselves but when they hit, they really hit.

There are only four and a half hours left in this Bandcamp Friday, but I was at work when I got the notification for this and haven't been able to post until now.

Art Yard is releasing a heavyweight 7" of Angels and Demons at Play featuring Marshall Allen - expected to ship mid-September.

Side Epic contains "Angels and Demons at Play" and "Between Two Worlds" both found originally on Angels and Demons at Play.
Side Cosmic contains "Spontaneous Simplicity" originally featured on Pictures of Infinity (recently rereleased by ORG as Outer Spaceways Incorporated.)

I've been toying with giving Sun Ra his own cube on the record shelf for some time now, but necessity has made it so before frivolity!

20210828_001320.jpg

*not included on this shelf are my Sun Ra featuring -or adjacent- titles (ie: The Sensational Guitars of Dan & Dale, June Tyson, Salah Ragab, Phil Alvin, EABS or any compilations), nearly a dozen Sun Ra related books and about a half dozen 7" records. We very recently acquired a 1x4 shelf to slot in beside our 4x4 and I'm contemplating taking the top two cubes on that to include the above with what's pictured here.

My wife picked up a 1x4 recently that we have now placed between our 4x4 and the horizontal 2x4 with drawers and doors along the bottom row that we use for non-record things. (Weird!) This has allowed me to upgrade my separation of Sun Ra from the rest of the collection, with a few Prince books and a Monk graphic novel holding temporary space. My copies of Val Wilmer's As Serious As Your Life: Black Music and the Free Jazz Revolution, 1957-1977 and LeRoi Jones' Black Music will live here too once I go dig them out of storage. I want to add The Earthly Recordings and John Corbett's books at some point, but prices are a little steep for me to do so in the immediate. All in all, I'm pretty stoked on where things are at with this section so far!

20210906_192030.jpg

My wife picked up a 1x4 recently that we have now placed between our 4x4 and the horizontal 2x4 with drawers and doors along the bottom row that we use for non-record things. (Weird!) This has allowed me to upgrade my separation of Sun Ra from the rest of the collection, with a few Prince books and a Monk graphic novel holding temporary space. My copies of Val Wilmer's As Serious As Your Life: Black Music and the Free Jazz Revolution, 1957-1977 and LeRoi Jones' Black Music will live here too once I go dig them out of storage. I want to add The Earthly Recordings and John Corbett's books at some point, but prices are a little steep for me to do so in the immediate. All in all, I'm pretty stoked on where things are at with this section so far!

View attachment 111294
Looks great!

Which John Corbett books do you have out of interest? I have the 'Vinyl Freak: Love Letters to a Dying Medium' (with the bonus Sun Ra flexi disc) and really enjoyed it so might get another book of his at some point.

Looks great!

Which John Corbett books do you have out of interest? I have the 'Vinyl Freak: Love Letters to a Dying Medium' (with the bonus Sun Ra flexi disc) and really enjoyed it so might get another book of his at some point.

I've had Vinyl Freak on my list since we spoke about it in another thread. Looking back at Goodreads, I see Corbett is listed as Compiler or Editor for the first three of these but I've nevertheless associated them in my brain as the Corbett Sun Ra books:

• The Wisdom of Sun Ra: Sun Ra's Polemical Broadsheets and Streetcorner Leaflets
  • Pathways to Unknown Worlds: Sun Ra, El Saturn and Chicago's Afro-Futurist Underground, 1954-68
  • Traveling the Spaceways: Sun Ra, the Astro Black and other Solar Myths
  • Sun Ra + Ayé Aton: Space, Interiors and Exteriors, 1972
The other non-directly Sun Ra related but certainly Sun Ra adjacent Corbett books I'm interested in picking up are:

• Microgroove: Forays into Other Music
  • Extended Play: Sounding Off from John Cage to Dr. Funkenstein
  • A Listener's Guide to Free Improvisation

I'd also really like to get my hands on a copy of the John Sinclair edited Sun Ra: Interviews & Essays that I borrowed from a library 6 or 7 years ago and would likely appreciate much more now. (I enjoyed it well enough at the time, but I'm far far deeper in these days!)

Looks great!

I just managed to snag a copy of The Wisdom of Sun Ra: Sun Ra's Polemical Broadsheets and Streetcorner Leaflets off of AbeBooks for $12.50. Shipping was double that at $24 but the next cheapest available copy is $125 + shipping, so I feel like I did alright even if I'm paying more for shipping than the book itself!

I just managed to snag a copy of The Wisdom of Sun Ra: Sun Ra's Polemical Broadsheets and Streetcorner Leaflets off of AbeBooks for $12.50. Shipping was double that at $24 but the next cheapest available copy is $125 + shipping, so I feel like I did alright even if I'm paying more for shipping than the book itself!
Nice one that's fantastic, one hell of a deal!

I have begun to find that a lot of jazz books are expensive because I assume their obscure nature meant that not a lot was released. I wanted to get a copy of Yusef Lateef's autobiography and ended up buying one from the US a while ago as it was the cheapest by far (it was a similar situation where AbeBooks had 1 randomly cheap copy). Another slippery (expensive) slope to fall down :ROFLMAO:

Modern Harmonic is putting out a reissue of Omniverse as an RSD First for Black Friday!

418466181392_360.jpg

I've been very pleased with all the MH releases I've gotten my hands on thus far And imagine this release will continue the high quality I've come to expect from their Ra releases. And this is one I've been wanting to get my hands on too!

I was, and still am, hoping to see Strut reissue Sun Ra meets Salah Ragab in Egypt. Would've been a nice RSDBF release too, but something to keep looking forward to, I guess!

Back