The Independent Venue / Recommend me a local show thread!

imtheocean

Wanted to create a thread to help support some of the independent venues and regional touring bands. Looking at some of the listings of local venues, there are a bunch of bands that I'm not familiar with, but perhaps some of you are.

The idea is pretty simple - if you are looking for a show to go to, post your local venues website(s) in the thread and ask for recommendations. Others can look through and recommend shows from bands they may know, and give a quick reason why.

So for example, these are three of my favorite local (and non-ticketmaster / livenation) venues.

I've already got tix to Plague Vendor and Earthless shows at the Casbah, and Mike Doughty at the Belly Up. Any must sees or up & comers on the list?

Wanted to create a thread to help support some of the independent venues and regional touring bands. Looking at some of the listings of local venues, there are a bunch of bands that I'm not familiar with, but perhaps some of you are.

The idea is pretty simple - if you are looking for a show to go to, post your local venues website(s) in the thread and ask for recommendations. Others can look through and recommend shows from bands they may know, and give a quick reason why.

So for example, these are three of my favorite local (and non-ticketmaster / livenation) venues.

I've already got tix to Plague Vendor and Earthless shows at the Casbah, and Mike Doughty at the Belly Up. Any must sees or up & comers on the list?

Taylor Ashton @ Casbah on Feb. 1!
----> I've known him since he was about 16. Fantastic songwriter and performer (and visual artist!) Ask him to play "Conan O'Brian!"

----> I've known him since he was about 16. Fantastic songwriter and performer (and visual artist!) Ask him to play "Conan O'Brian!"
That's sandwiched right between Earthless and Plague Vendor by a day or two on both sides. I'll try to make it (and my ears) work!

This album with his old band Fish & Bird was, to me, when he really crested from being a very talented kid to this is definitely what he's going to do for a living.

Mariel Buckley, who is opening for Rural Alberta Advantage at Casbah on the 9th is high on my want to see list. Her 2022 album Everywhere I Used To Be is fantastic. I got to it a bit late and it took me awhile to track down an affordable vinyl copy but I'm glad I did!

Oh, that's right up my alley.

He did the cover art too.

All 5 members of that band are incredible players so his solo stuff feels slightly at a loss without them, but I recognize that's a big bias on my part because I spent years and many gigs throughout Western Canada with those guys. But even without all them playing with him, he's still very good at what he does.

Also, hell yeah Mike Doughty!!

Mariel Buckley, who is opening for Rural Alberta Advantage at Casbah on the 9th is high on my want to see list. Her 2022 album Everywhere I Used To Be is fantastic. I got to it a bit late and it took me awhile to track down an affordable vinyl copy but I'm glad I did!
Listening to her album now. This is exactly the type of recommendation I was looking to find. Shades of Kathleen Edwards.

Snotty Nose Rez Kids are in San Diego on Feb. 24, which is rad. But at House of Blues, which I presume is a ticketMONSTER venue :(

Snotty Nose Rez Kids are in San Diego on Feb. 24, which is rad. But at House of Blues, which I presume is a ticketMONSTER venue :(
Yes, and its one of my least favorite venues here. They have a bunch of pillars around the main GA area, so if you don't queue up for a show early, you end up with terrible sightlines.

Yes, and its one of my least favorite venues here. They have a bunch of pillars around the main GA area, so if you don't queue up for a show early, you end up with terrible sightlines.

That's lame. Venues can be such a double-edged sword sometimes... they're playing here just after my birthday - for two nights, if I recall correctly... but I absolutely hate the venue they're playing. In terms of sound and physical space. But it's also the only venue we have of suitable size - anything else GA is too small (and most of those have closed over the last decade anyway) and then next up is nearly twice the size with theatre seating. I'm stoked for the boys they're doing well enough to play the bigger rooms, but also far less likely to see them much anymore outside of a festival setting.

Back