The "How good is this pressing?"/"What's the best/a decent pressing of this album?" thread

I'll start with a question - does anyone have a copy of Squid's new LP (Any version)?

There is talk of a pressing defect in Paddle (drop outs in sound). Anybody with a copy would like to chime in? Does your copy have it? How bad is it? How is the pressing?

Thanks! From the comments on Discogs, it seemed that some were saying that different colorways and standard black all had this, but it's sometimes hard to tell what's going on in these comments. I'd probably just pick-up black myself.

I have the green pressing, sounds great, I haven't noticed any dropouts (just listened to it again).

I have the green pressing, sounds great, I haven't noticed any dropouts (just listened to it again).

Same with my black pressing. Not sure what the folks on Discogs were on about (but there was more than one post!?). Unless they mean that the start of the song is lower volume, but that's intended.

Thoughts from the community:

Bonnie Raitt's Luck of the Draw. This one is sending me a bit in circles. I've been casually keeping an eye out for copies at a price I was willing to pay, and as a US one pops on Ebay today, I look deeper and now I'm unsure on pressing quality.

Does anyone have a copy of theirs they can vouch for? SHF swears by the DCC Pressing, which is very pricy now ($175+ it seems), and while there's a good number of European club copies and US copies in the 50-70 range, I know there were some real criticism on the production of those. I'm not at the "pay three digits" for this, given I also don't see a good reason that a remaster/new pressing hasn't happened in 25 years, but I'd like to know if people think it's worth it should I decide to make that jump. Ideally I'd like to not shell out $125+ extra for DCC unless the difference is huge but it's in consideration down the line.

It seems like there's the Capitol pressing and DCC, as well as an EMI Promo in Brazil though I doubt that's in play.

I have an original Canadian pressing of Maggot Brain which is unfortunately noisy but still sounds great. I wonder if the tapes are still around? This is definitely a good candidate for a quality remaster.

Back