The "How good is this pressing?"/"What's the best/a decent pressing of this album?" thread

Turbo

There doesn't seem to be any good place to ask these questions so I thought it would be a good idea to create a specific place for them.

This is as a complement for the "Definitive Audiophile pressings" thread where you'll find discussions on the best of the best.

And the "Really Really Nice pressings" thread where well pressed vinyl is discussed.

Last edited:
I'll start with a question - does anyone have a copy of Squid's new LP (Any version)?

There is talk of a pressing defect in Paddle (drop outs in sound). Anybody with a copy would like to chime in? Does your copy have it? How bad is it? How is the pressing?

I'll start with a question - does anyone have a copy of Squid's new LP (Any version)?

There is talk of a pressing defect in Paddle (drop outs in sound). Anybody with a copy would like to chime in? Does your copy have it? How bad is it? How is the pressing?

I have the RT exclusive, I don't remember hearing a defect in Paddle but I will check. I think overall it sounds really fantastic.

I have the RT exclusive, I don't remember hearing a defect in Paddle but I will check. I think overall it sounds really fantastic.

Thanks! From the comments on Discogs, it seemed that some were saying that different colorways and standard black all had this, but it's sometimes hard to tell what's going on in these comments. I'd probably just pick-up black myself.

Ok, I have another one to ask about:

Anybody have one of these? The black vinyl seems pressed at Pallas which sounds promising, but the pictures suggest nasty paper sleeves. That's a worry if I order an expensive record from the UK.

And the colored ones seem pressed at a plant I never heard of (Holyday Records?).

Last edited:
There doesn't seem to be any good place to ask these questions so I thought it would be a good idea to create a specific place for them.

This is as a complement for the "Definitive Audiophile pressings" thread where you'll find discussions on the best of the best.

And the "Really Really Nice pressings" thread where well pressed vinyl is discussed.

Thanks @AnthonyI ... I didn't want to pollute your thread with questions about basic and crappy pressings. I thought you wanted to talk about really nice pressings that weren't AP, MOFI, SC, PP, etc.

BUT I WILL NOW DAMN IT.

Thanks @AnthonyI ... I didn't want to pollute your thread with questions about basic and crappy pressings. I thought you wanted to talk about really nice pressings that weren't AP, MOFI, SC, PP, etc.

BUT I WILL NOW DAMN IT.
Have at it, it's meant to be more of a catch all outside of "Definitive" ;)

Ok, I have another one to ask about:

Anybody have one of these? The black vinyl seems pressed at Pallas which sounds promising, but the pictures suggest nasty paper sleeves. That's a worry if I order an expensive record from the UK.

And the colored ones seem pressed at a plant I never heard of (Holyday Records?).

Have you found a good place to buy a copy of this album?

Just to follow-up, I ended up getting a standard black copy and I think Paddle is fine. There are dynamics (the beginning of the track is lower volume), but I think this is intended and not a defect. Sounds excellent, actually.

I'm not sure if this is what the Discogs comments were referring to so I remain curious what others think. But I'm happy with that pressing.

Back