The How Do I Get Into _____ Thread

Not sure it's where I'd start within the NIN discography, but The Fragile turned 20 yesterday and Stereogum did a wonderful write-up on an album that was misunderstood at the time but is now widely considered a masterpiece (and that played a huge role in defining my high school years and shaping my taste in music). Pitchfork even re-reviewed it a couple years ago and gave it an 8.7 despite their famously inflammatory 1999 review .

Couldn't find an appropriate thread to drop it in:

And to keep the thread on topic- where would you tell somebody to start if they were trying to get into NIN? Pretty Hate Machine? The Downward Spiral? Year Zero (which is more accessible according to modern sounds)?

Not sure it's where I'd start within the NIN discography, but The Fragile turned 20 yesterday and Stereogum did a wonderful write-up on an album that was misunderstood at the time but is now widely considered a masterpiece (and that played a huge role in defining my high school years and shaping my taste in music). Pitchfork even re-reviewed it a couple years ago.

And to keep the thread on topic- where would you tell somebody to start if they were trying to get into NIN? Pretty Hate Machine? The Downward Spiral? Year Zero (which is more accessible according to modern sounds)?
My introduction was the Downward Spiral. That or Pretty Hate Machine would be best!

How do I get into Nick Cave? I have heard Let Love In and Ghosteen a handful of times each and am pretty intrigued, but the two records are of course very different. I love the ball-to-the-wall, sinister rock n' roll of the former and the atmospherics of the latter. Hearing Warren Ellis' work on Tinariwen's latest record has pushed me to try to give the Bad Seeds more attention.

How do I get into Nick Cave? I have heard Let Love In and Ghosteen a handful of times each and am pretty intrigued, but the two records are of course very different. I love the ball-to-the-wall, sinister rock n' roll of the former and the atmospherics of the latter. Hearing Warren Ellis' work on Tinariwen's latest record has pushed me to try to give the Bad Seeds more attention.

A few of my favorites are Dig Lazarus Dig, Push The Sky Away, Murder Ballads, From Her To Eternity and Live At KCRW. You also need to travel the Grinderman road.

I think Nick has had a pretty gradual evolution throughout his whole career, meaning if you have found some albums that you like my advice is to move around chronologically. Ghosteen obviously being the newest you'll find if you work backwards that atmosphere you liked will last until about Push the Sky Away and the further back you go the more 'sinister rock n roll' it'll get (and it gets much more sinister than Let Love In).

Also if you're particularly attracted to Warren Ellis' contributions check out his other band The Dirty Three. Nick and Warren have done a bunch of movie soundtracks that you'll like for that atmosphere too (I think these are published mostly under just 'Nick Cave').

I think Nick has had a pretty gradual evolution throughout his whole career, meaning if you have found some albums that you like my advice is to move around chronologically. Ghosteen obviously being the newest you'll find if you work backwards that atmosphere you liked will last until about Push the Sky Away and the further back you go the more 'sinister rock n roll' it'll get (and it gets much more sinister than Let Love In).

Also if you're particularly attracted to Warren Ellis' contributions check out his other band The Dirty Three. Nick and Warren have done a bunch of movie soundtracks that you'll like for that atmosphere too (I think these are published mostly under just 'Nick Cave').
Awesome, thanks!

I’d say start with Push the Sky Away and Skeleton Tree (i fee like they’re a lot more accessible as an entry point), then jump back to Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus (and the live album that goes with it). Then jump into the murder ballads for something really different and explore his earlier/edgier stuff from there.

Not sure it's where I'd start within the NIN discography, but The Fragile turned 20 yesterday and Stereogum did a wonderful write-up on an album that was misunderstood at the time but is now widely considered a masterpiece (and that played a huge role in defining my high school years and shaping my taste in music). Pitchfork even re-reviewed it a couple years ago and gave it an 8.7 despite their famously inflammatory 1999 review .

REALLY late for this question, but I felt like saying something here.
If I met somebody who never heard about NIN, I would never start with The Fragile. I think that album would scare the shit out of people who never listened to NIN (not scare as in "this is some spooky music" but as in "these lyrics are serious shit").
If that person likes Marilyn Manson, Spiral is a great start. But if that person doesn't listen to a lot of rock music, With Teeth and Year Zero are the best options IMO.

Back