The Hifi Mag / Blog / Etc Thread

bother

Thought it might be interesting to post about / discuss / complain about / criticize whatever hifi mags or blogs or whatevers you're currently subscribed to.

Paging all super hifi nerds, come post about the mags we all hate to love.

Reading anything new? Got some reviewer recommendations? Post it up!

I always read Michael Fremer (Analog Planet/Stereophile) and Art Dudley (Stereophile). Art Dudley is definitely "a path less travelled" guy. You can tell he is super passionate about music- moreso than gear.

I always read Michael Fremer (Analog Planet/Stereophile) and Art Dudley (Stereophile). Art Dudley is definitely "a path less travelled" guy. You can tell he is super passionate about music- moreso than gear.

I'm a huge Dudley fan. His writing is actually good and engaging--his reviews aren't just boringly focused on products but he thinks about how a product fits into the industry and into a person's life. He also seems to have a very healthy self awareness wrt HiFi in general.

Fremer is like the opposite. Muscular and totally head up his ass. I like him too but he's like a foil to Dudley.

Gear reviews can be so tedious. It's hard to write an interesting review that isn't just " this does this, this sounds like this, I like or dislike it." Those are the most boring of all!

I'm a huge Dudley fan. His writing is actually good and engaging--his reviews aren't just boringly focused on products but he thinks about how a product fits into the industry and into a person's life. He also seems to have a very healthy self awareness wrt HiFi in general.

Fremer is like the opposite. Muscular and totally head up his ass. I like him too but he's like a foil to Dudley.

Gear reviews can be so tedious. It's hard to write an interesting review that isn't just " this does this, this sounds like this, I like or dislike it." Those are the most boring of all!

I like them for different reasons. Fremer as far as pressings- he's got an enormous collection. I've bought a few albums blind because of his recommendations. He hasn't missed yet.

Gear? Dudley's the man. He's not an audiophile. He's a music lover and tone junkie. His recommendations are full of off the wall stuff that doesn't sound like Hi Fi. It sounds like music.

I really enjoyed his work and personality. This saddens me more than I might have imagined

I really enjoyed his work and personality. This saddens me more than I might have imagined

Yeah, it hit me hard too. Art really got it, by far my favorite reviewer.

Back