The Greatest Songs Ever Written

Man, I absolutely adore “Boots Of Spanish Leather” it’s such a beautifully tragic song. ❤
It’s my favorite Dylan song. But now that I think about it, maybe not a contender for “greatest song every written.” That’s probably better suited to “Like a Rolling Stone” (obvious choice), “The Times They Are A-Changing”, or “Blowin’ in the Wind”

Big star! I think I'd go with September Gurls as more "perfect" but El Goodo is certainly a good choice.

Strangers is my favorite Kinks song. Gets me every time. Waterloo Sunset is also a strong contender for greatest song ever written.
"September Gurls" feels more fun than it does revolutionary enough to carry the greatest song of all time label. An absolute all-time great song though.

Also I was going to say "Waterloo Sunset" but that seemed like the obvious choice. "Strangers" has a magnitude to it that feels important.

Oh, I have a couple...

-"Woodstock", by Joni Mitchell. The most remarkable thing about this song is that she wasn't even there, she was watching the festival on TV. And yet, she managed to capture the esence of the festival, and the esence of the whole hippie movement. (The orchestral version on Travelogue is awesome). Add also "A case of you", "River", "Both sides, now" and "The circle game" by Joni.
-"Baby, one more time"... I think it was written by Max Martin? It's, in terms of composition, the essence of pop music.
-"Operator", by Jim Croce.
-"All mine" by Portishead.

Without a doubt, this would go on my list.

System Of A Down - "Spiders" (1998)

The way this song builds up is incredible. The song starts with a quiet intro, just Shavo's chilling bass riff and Serj's haunting, soft vocals. It then explodes into a loud, but controlled, chorus. In verse 2, Serj is more firm, becoming more urgent in warning society that we are being watched. The chorus comes again, Serj's urgency growing. Then, Daron's simple yet incredible solo comes in. The entire band erupts into chaos at the end, Daron's guitar blaring behind Serj's screams and shouts, almost as if he worries no one will here him. Everything goes quiet for a gentle outro, topping off the beauty of the track.

Close your eyes and listen to it. It was released 21 years ago, and the exact meaning is still unknown. But one thing is for certain, it's a warning. A message to society. Serj's vocal talent here is incredible, and the band blends together to create a chilling, yet beautiful song.

It’s my favorite Dylan song. But now that I think about it, maybe not a contender for “greatest song every written.” That’s probably better suited to “Like a Rolling Stone” (obvious choice), “The Times They Are A-Changing”, or “Blowin’ in the Wind”

Simple Twist of Fate is my favourite Dylan song, also very close to being my favourite all time song. That list of his big hits is great but I’d put it ahead of them all.

Back