The Grammy Awards Thread

I think the act ranking music is inherently absurd and realistically their is no objective answer. I don’t think the Grammys should be taken seriously and I feel the same about any rating site like AOTY or rym. For me the fun comes from indulging them in their absurdity; pretending they are as important and serious as the academy thinks they are
Right. Plus, the Grammys are televised so fans can feel validated that their choices in music are the rights ones. And if their favorites lose? Burn it all down, then tune in again next year.

The AOTY argument is fun and interesting. Looking at sales, it's obviously Midnights. Looking at critical consensus (using metacritic) it seems like it's GUTS.

Joni ruled, Jay Z was kind of embarrassing, and I liked the in memoriam performances. Also some sword swinging above a suddenly conveniently placed Janelle Monae and Phoebe Bridgers (who seemed to find it a hoot.)

Grammys are such a weird experience when you listen to all the good music that actually comes out in a year. Like it blows my mind that so much of the world truly believes the artists and albums nominated for Grammys are indicative of the best music that came out in the last year.

It’s just a show that pits industry plant versus industry plant, it’s not an open dialogue with the actual music world. The few Grammy nominated artists that actually deserve to be there seem to always get snubbed. As a result, I haven’t watched a Grammys since Macklemore beat out Kendrick Lamar.

I loved Jay-Z’s speech. “Some of y’all don’t deserve to be in the category” feels like my thoughts in a nutshell. Every year I look and say “Who’s nominated? Oh riiiiiiiiiiigght, yeah that’s hilarious but ok”. These categories are just not representative of the talent that’s out there making music with their whole heart and soul, just feels representative of who the big labels have sunk the most money into.

Anyway shouts out HOV for telling the truth!
The word I take exception to in here is "music", which IMO has nothing to do with the Grammys.

@Fleetwood-Matt it would be kinda fun to put together a revisionist Grammy’s where we post a poll for each year’s Grammy AOTY Nominations and see who N&G thinks shoulda won the award each year.

endorsed

(and i not so secretly hope beyonce loses aoty EVERY TIME)

The word I take exception to in here is "music", which IMO has nothing to do with the Grammys.

grammys is about the music industry

IT'S GARMMY POOL TIME!!!

Now that the dust of the night has settled its time to announce our winner for 2024 N&g Grammy pool! thank you for all the participants for joining me this year even without a prize. I know the bragging rights are what you all really want anyways

without further ado our winner; Killing it with 47 points (the person in second had 57) is....

@Wicked Dreamer !!!!!!!

CONGRATUALTIONS!!! you may now brag about this for the next year!

IT'S GARMMY POOL TIME!!!

Now that the dust of the night has settled its time to announce our winner for 2024 N&g Grammy pool! thank you for all the participants for joining me this year even without a prize. I know the bragging rights are what you all really want anyways

without further ado our winner; Killing it with 47 points (the person in second had 57) is....

@Wicked Dreamer !!!!!!!

CONGRATUALTIONS!!! you may now brag about this for the next year!

Curious, how many people participated?

Back