The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

Just getting around to listening Portland on vinyl...on side c and the vocals are soooo soft I can barely hear shit.
Thought it might be a channel issue so put another record in to test and...nope that sounds fine.

have any of you come across this before ?

Just getting around to listening Portland on vinyl...on side c and the vocals are soooo soft I can barely hear shit.
Thought it might be a channel issue so put another record in to test and...nope that sounds fine.

Yup. Its a problem with the original soundboard recording by all accounts. Still. For the £60 I paid for the box I'm not complaining

It has me going crazy 😂😂
I was the same. I had to wade through a 130 page thread on Steve Hoffman on that box to check mine wasn't knackered. They're a bit, erm, obsessive on there. They were talking about distortion on hi-hat segments that I couldn't hear even if you told me the exact point they happen. It was like reading a text from my dad!

Just got a copy of the Saint of Circumstance box set. It’s a ‘91 show, and I haven’t really gone too deep into these years. Got it at a nice discount so it felt worth taking a chance on. Love the look of the box

It is a known issue with the master Soundboard tape. I warned about it in a previous post.

Just got a copy of the Saint of Circumstance box set. It’s a ‘91 show, and I haven’t really gone too deep into these years. Got it at a nice discount so it felt worth taking a chance on. Love the look of the box
I'm not huge on the last 5 or so years before Jerry died, but that's a really good show and box. A month before I was born.

Streaming Without A Net and its got me thinking about the VMP box again. I mean, my WMD isnt in great shape these days, I only have Europe 72 on CD (as well as a copy of the Newcastle gig from the box as my parents were actually at it... Fuckers...). Probably don't really need Reckoning as I've already got Warfield and I picked up Wake The Flood a few years ago in the RSD box. So trying to work out if the cost is worth it for a clean WMD, Europe and Without A Net which is pretty much the gaps it would fill. Although I'm guessing the American Beauty is the 50th too which I was going to pick up anyway so I could pass mine on to a friend.

It just feels about $50 to $100 on the wrong side of total madness.

Streaming Without A Net and its got me thinking about the VMP box again. I mean, my WMD isnt in great shape these days, I only have Europe 72 on CD (as well as a copy of the Newcastle gig from the box as my parents were actually at it... Fuckers...). Probably don't really need Reckoning as I've already got Warfield and I picked up Wake The Flood a few years ago in the RSD box. So trying to work out if the cost is worth it for a clean WMD, Europe and Without A Net which is pretty much the gaps it would fill. Although I'm guessing the American Beauty is the 50th too which I was going to pick up anyway so I could pass mine on to a friend.

It just feels about $50 to $100 on the wrong side of total madness.

I've emailed them and asked if they'd re-instate the discount code they dished out in May. If they will then I'll have gone from a 'that's totally ridiculous' to 'that's a bit ridiculous' to 'I can kinda, almost see the value' to 'I'm ridiculous' in under 5 months.

I've emailed them and asked if they'd re-instate the discount code they dished out in May. If they will then I'll have gone from a 'that's totally ridiculous' to 'that's a bit ridiculous' to 'I can kinda, almost see the value' to 'I'm ridiculous' in under 5 months.
To be fair that's about 4 months and 3 weeks longer than it usually takes for the forum to justify purchases that two weeks earlier we'd initially decried as blasphemy.

Although I'm guessing the American Beauty is the 50th too

This seems unlikely to me, assuming that the 50th is a new master/press, although I guess it depends on how many stampers were made (or if they were pressed at different plants). I think it's much more likely that the AB is from the same masters as the reissue from a few years ago (2018? 2016? I forget.)

This seems unlikely to me, assuming that the 50th is a new master/press, although I guess it depends on how many stampers were made (or if they were pressed at different plants). I think it's much more likely that the AB is from the same masters as the reissue from a few years ago (2018? 2016? I forget.)
I think they're definitely from something already out there. From the pictures of the set there are only 5 sets of tapes. If Without a Net is from digital that means there are 2 that aren't being completely overhauled and I've just assumed that they're AB and WMD. Bellman did the 2011 WMD and 2013 AB (at least I think those dates are right) so at first I thought they may just go back to those given they're great (although I only have the old Rhino AB) . If anyone has the 2011 WMD and 2020 Vinyl reissue I'd be interested to know if there is a difference between the two or if they just got Glasser to work on the live stuff and outtakes and kept the 2011 as it was. Failing that it's ploughing through a 7000 page thread on Steve Hoffman to try to find out

I think they're definitely from something already out there. From the pictures of the set there are only 5 sets of tapes. If Without a Net is from digital that means there are 2 that aren't being completely overhauled and I've just assumed that they're AB and WMD. Bellman did the 2011 WMD and 2013 AB (at least I think those dates are right) so at first I thought they may just go back to those given they're great (although I only have the old Rhino AB) . If anyone has the 2011 WMD and 2020 Vinyl reissue I'd be interested to know if there is a difference between the two or if they just got Glasser to work on the live stuff and outtakes and kept the 2011 as it was. Failing that it's ploughing through a 7000 page thread on Steve Hoffman to try to find out
The last Europe 72 from 2011 was a Bellman cut as well. I highly doubt that they had the 4 more recent cuts (AB, WD, WOTF, E72) fully redone. They are not the beacon of transparency, so the answer will be the dead wax.

The last Europe 72 from 2011 was a Bellman cut as well. I highly doubt that they had the 4 more recent cuts (AB, WD, WOTF, E72) fully redone. They are not the beacon of transparency, so the answer will be the dead wax.
I was tempted to send them a fairly lengthy email to try to get to the bottom of it but, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure they'll know the answers. As it is I'm kicking 2 ideas about either a new AB, the 2011 WMD, Nassau, Three From the Vault and Buffalo 77 (despite it looking like they've split Help on the Way/ Slipknot/ Franklin's Tower across 2 sides) or the VMP set which would mean I was short Europe 72, without a net and Terrapin station., I'm subbing Warfield for Reckoning here

Back