The Funhouse - The Punks are all right

Well, since it has been resurrected, I picked up Steady Diet of Nothing and Double Nickels on the Dime recently on vinyl. Astonished at how good the Minutemen sounds especially given the tiny run outs. Fugazi, I now have through In on the Kill Taker* which good ol @Thackeraye reminded me about a while back with his N&G AOTM and probably has a lot to do with this damn thread getting started. Have not listened to that Hardcore comp I got yet. Pere Ubu's Terminal Tower is the next album from the RS list for me and is in my queue currently to listen to...

*I do not have Margin Walker or Three Songs

Last edited:
Well, since it has been resurrected, I picked up Steady Diet of Nothing and Double Nickels on the Dime recently on vinyl. Astonished at how good the Minutemen sounds especially given the tiny run outs. Fugazi, I now have through In on the Kill Taker which good ol @Thackeraye reminded me about a while back with his N&G AOTM and probably has a lot to do with this damn thread getting started. Have not listened to that Hardcore comp I got yet. Pere Ubu's Terminal Tower is the next album from the RS list for me and is in my queue currently to listen to...
Just finished reading Steve Turner’s Mud Ride (Green River and Mudhoney guitarist). He was hugely influenced by early 80s punk and hardcore. Fun read and made me listen to some still I have not listened to in a while (MDC, TSOL, JFA etc). What is it with hardcore and acronyms?

Just finished reading Steve Turner’s Mud Ride (Green River and Mudhoney guitarist). He was hugely influenced by early 80s punk and hardcore. Fun read and made me listen to some still I have not listened to in a while (MDC, TSOL, JFA etc). What is it with hardcore and acronyms?
What is it with everyone and acronyms?

I need to get back to Our Band at some point. My groove is different on second. I’m not trying to keep my brain alert when I leave, I’m more in shut it down and listen to angry shit wished I still drank which will probably work well for the RS list but not so well for the book on tape listening.

Not sure if this was posted on here previously, but I highly recommend the Minnesota Hardcore PBS documentary series that’s on YouTube.
Don’t think I have watched the whole thing. Added to my “watch later” list. Mrs is going away in a week or so. Think me and the cats will be binging on some sweet sweet hardcore that week

I'm not even sure this is exactly the right place to talk about it, but I don't really get all the love for the Replacements. I've listened to their first album a couple of times now and I am a little more than 3/4 the way through the new deluxe Tim (Let it Bleed) thing and it's... okay.

I'm not even sure this is exactly the right place to talk about it, but I don't really get all the love for the Replacements. I've listened to their first album a couple of times now and I am a little more than 3/4 the way through the new deluxe Tim (Let it Bleed) thing and it's... okay.
I’m really not a fan of Sorry Ma but everything else is great to amazing for me. Let It Be is generally considered their defining album. If you don’t like that, you might like the later, more alt rock focused album of PTMM. If you don’t like either of those then they’re not for you! My wife can’t stand how they sound. Thinks they sound like a drunk bar band (not entirely wrong).

Back