The Blue Note Thread

How do y'all feel about Dexter Gordon's Clubhouse? I've never been a huge fan of him, and from the couple of listens I've given Clubhouse on Spotify, it sounds a bit run-of-the-mill Hard Bop to me, but Amazon Mexico is selling the TP pressing for around $18 USD, so I'm debating wether I should grab it or not.

How do y'all feel about Dexter Gordon's Clubhouse? I've never been a huge fan of him, and from the couple of listens I've given Clubhouse on Spotify, it sounds a bit run-of-the-mill Hard Bop to me, but Amazon Mexico is selling the TP pressing for around $18 USD, so I'm debating wether I should grab it or not.
I remember liking it, but it’s my least favorite of the albums I own by him (Doin’ Alright, Dexter Calling, One Flight Up and Clubhouse).

I’d say save your money for other Tone Poets if he’s not really your thing.

I remember liking it, but it’s my least favorite of the albums I own by him (Doin’ Alright, Dexter Calling, One Flight Up and Clubhouse).

I’d say save your money for other Tone Poets if he’s not really your thing.
Yeah, I like Doin' Alright way better. IMO opinion the compositions and performances are better on that one, and Hubbard kills it in that album. I've been eyeing the BN80 for a while, but I'll eventually pull the trigger.

What’s $18? Two beers at a dive bar? Dexter is worth that at least. You’re not going to lose money if you sell it down the line either.

$18 is a wow price. That’s about 13 quid. @Selaws imagine being able to pick up a TP for 13 quid over here, lol.
As for Dexter, he’s cool. You ever seen the movie, ‘Round Midnight? That cat’s as cool as a cucumber in that.

Dexter Gordon’s style sometimes gets on my nerves, especially if he’s playing way behind the beat. I have been playing Our Man in Paris a lot lately though and that album is so good, as is Go. Clubhouse is good but not his best in my opinion. Sinatra’s I’m a Fool to Want You is lovely on this album.
Clubhouse is alright but I do really enjoy the flow of Doin' Alright. But $18 is ridiculous ! :)

$18 is a wow price. That’s about 13 quid. @Selaws imagine being able to pick up a TP for 13 quid over here, lol.
As for Dexter, he’s cool. You ever seen the movie, ‘Round Midnight? That cat’s as cool as a cucumber in that.
We can but dream.........while forking over £25 minimum per Tone Poet

Yeah that’s a good movie, I haven’t seen it since the 80’s when it came out, I saw it at the cinema, must see if I can find it at the library, should have another look.Probably wouldn’t buy Clubhouse though 🤣

Blue Note should repress anything involving Ike Quebec.
Loving him recently, absolutely.
Born To Be Blue has been getting a lot of love on the turntable recently.
100% agree. All of his Blue Notes should get reissued on BN80 and maybe one as a Tone Poet. Hopefully next year.

Back