The Blue Note Thread

Email MMJ sent me just now when I asked about Blue Train

"Rumors are correct. Should be out this weekend or next week if all goes well. (which means could be week after )

Stay tuned to our FB and our website.

Best regards,
Carol
MMJazz"

Great news! I’m hoping the next batch of SRX will be announced along with the Blue Train repress. My guess is that RTI was backed up and both were impacted.

Carol told me in her last email that we should expect 10 new SRX titles. 2 per month beginning this month and ending in May.

Great news! I’m hoping the next batch of SRX will be announced along with the Blue Train repress. My guess is that RTI was backed up and both were impacted.

Carol told me in her last email that we should expect 10 new SRX titles. 2 per month beginning this month and ending in May.

As I understand it there will be no “new titles” but rather represses of OOP 33 rpm titles with the SRX formula.

You gotta think those 10 would probably be picked out of:

Somethin Else
Moanin
Speak No Evil
Soul Station
Maiden Voyage
Idle Moments
Out To Lunch (listed as in stock but it's OOS)
The Sidewinder
Midnight Blue
Empyrean Isles
Go!
....and perhaps Search For The New Land

I'm thirsty for a repress of those for sure. Would be all over Somethin Else, Moanin, Speak No Evil, Soul Station, and Idle Moments especially.

so how much different is this SRX formula ? As I understand it that really is the only difference between MMJ and Tone Poets

MMJ has so far only released 13 titles on SRX vinyl. The rest of the MMJ catalog was on standard vinyl. Mostly black vinyl with a few colored editions in the mix. The main difference in TP and MMJ is really Ron Rambach and the fact that they’re a separate entity from Blue Note.

MMJ has so far only released 13 titles on SRX vinyl. The rest of the MMJ catalog was on standard vinyl. Mostly black vinyl with a few colored editions in the mix. The main difference in TP and MMJ is really Ron Rambach and the fact that they’re a separate entity from Blue Note.
Ah I guess I mean, SRX vs normal vinyl formula

Awesome to hear. Just offered 40 and it was accepted. Pretty pumped now!
So just to follow up on this...
Came in the mail today, it’s probably closer to VG+ , but man it sounds so good. Pretty crazy to hold something that is 50+ years old in my hands, let alone for it to sound this good.
thanks @mitchwagz for posting this up here!

SRX definitely lowers the noise floor. You can tell the second you drop the needle into it before the first track.
Joe Harley also confirmed that it’s the same vinyl formula that MFSL is using for their most recent One Steps. I have the Monk and can confirm that it’s just as quiet and has the same transparent look when held up to the light.

Back