The Blue Note Thread

I don't think you can go wrong with most of the AP jazz albums. All the ones I have sound great. I'd say just pick titles that you like! They are all at a price point where I think I'd only buy albums I really like or pick one up if I find a good deal on them. You'll love that Moanin pressing from what I've heard.

I also really like the Classic Records pressings of jazz albums but they can be quite pricey too. My copy of Blue Train on Classic Records sounds fantastic though.
AP, Music Matter and Classic Records are like the Big 3 of jazz pressings. Buy any with confidence if you like the record. I try to find 33 over 45 just so I don't have to flip the LP as often. Some of the AP 45 have 1-2 tracks per side. Just my personal preference.

AP, Music Matter and Classic Records are like the Big 3 of jazz pressings. Buy any with confidence if you like the record. I try to find 33 over 45 just so I don't have to flip the LP as often. Some of the AP 45 have 1-2 tracks per side. Just my personal preference.
Agreed. I always go for 33 if I can because I personally can't tell much difference in the quality with my set up and don't like flipping them as much. But I did end up buying a lot of MM at 45 because I found them for cheaper on ebay than the 33s.

Ok, thanks for the response Marshall! I’m going to get it! 🥳🕺

Anyone Have some recommendations on some great jazz Analogue Productions pressings? I’m going to pick up the AP 45RPM 2LP pressing of Charles Mingus’ “Black Saint and The Sinner Lady” soon! 💎

I really like the Analogue Productions pressings I have so far, so would love to get some great jazz AP pressings recommendations! Especially Blue Note titles 🤗

For AP releases I recommend Art Blakey - Moanin, Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue, and Joe Henderson - Page One. But really any of the AP jazz releases are excellent. The only gripe I have is some of mine have slight warps which was disappointing since they are 200g vinyl.

So, I want some opinions on this particular Blue Note pressings! If you think it’s worth it!

One of my locals, has an Art Blakey “Moanin” 2LP 45RPM 200g Analogue Productions pressing! It’s brand new, and from looking at the Steve Hoffman forums, it seems to be the best sounding “Moanin” pressing out there. Better than the Music Matters 33RPM pressing! (Which seems to be the second best sounding pressing).

This brand new “Moanin” 2LP 45RPM 200g AP pressing is AUD$160 (around USD$100)! Discogs prices are around there too! I think it seems to be a pretty good deal; going to my local and grabbing this brand new Moanin pressing for that price!

What do you guys think? This is one of, if not, Blue Note’s most significant/signature release of jazz music that came out of the 50’s and 60’s!

Would also love to hear about anyone who has this 2LP 45RPM Analogue Productions pressing?
It's still available from Acoustic Sounds for I think $55. Don't know if it would still be cheaper when you count shipping.

Duke's Money Jungle arrived earlier this week and listening to it now for the first time. All I can say is "wow" this is an amazing record. Not at all what I was expecting. I think I streamed a couple of tracks but listening to the total package for the first time. The interplay between Duke and Mingus on African Flower is breathtaking.
Same here, SO so good.

It's still available from Acoustic Sounds for I think $55. Don't know if it would still be cheaper when you count shipping.
I just pulled the trigger on that “Moanin” because why not 😁🤷‍♂️

Thank you so much for telling me about this Johnpisme! 🙏

Also grabbed.......

MoFi Supervinyl Charles Mingus’ Mingus Ah Um
Carole King’s Tapestry (MoFi)
Helen Merrill’s Helen Merrill (Analogue Productions)
Sam Cooke’s Night Beat (Anologue Productions)
Joe Henderson’s Page One (Analogue Productions)

Fingers crossed shipping isn’t too much! But even if it is, then at least it’s for super high quality sounding products 😊💎🏆

But even if it is, then at least it’s for super high quality sounding products

Hey Nathan. I'm a fellow vinyl lover based in Australia. Don't post much but thought I'd share some knowledge seeing as you're going down the high quality jazz reissue rabbit hole. MMJ, AP, and Mofi are pretty well known, but to be honest there are other pressing companies to keep an eye/ear out for.
These include: ORG, Impex, Speakers Corner, BNs own Tone Poet and 80th anniversary reissues, etc.
Of course there are the Japanese King reissues as well, abundant on eBay, usually in great used condition.
Happy exploring!

Tempting. I’d rather swap it but will 500 copies sell out? Not sure if casual jazz fans will buy this one.

Also: blue note store claims vinyl won’t ship until 8/28.

VMP pressing the new Ambrose Akinmusire album. Ltd to 500

Has anyone seen an update for when MMJ might put the May titles (Speak No Evil / Midnight Blue) up for sale? I seem to recall a post somewhere suggesting that the release schedule had been pushed back but the site still shows May.

Has anyone seen an update for when MMJ might put the May titles (Speak No Evil / Midnight Blue) up for sale? I seem to recall a post somewhere suggesting that the release schedule had been pushed back but the site still shows May.
They are trying to figure out when to release, and how to do it so they don't have the same issue with the server. I would not expect anything in May.

Not sure but it's not like any of us will be able to actually buy them anyway...haha sorry...too soon? :confused:

They are trying to figure out when to release, and how to do it so they don't have the same issue with the server. I would not expect anything in May.
I really want Speak No Evil but I also don't want to drop $100 with shipping for 1 record...still pisses me off that it's a $200 limit for free shipping.

I really want Speak No Evil but I also don't want to drop $100 with shipping for 1 record...still pisses me off that it's a $200 limit for free shipping.

I guess the silver lining is that its easier to hit the $200 mark when the albums are $75? Both are on my "must have" list and I can throw in True Blue to just get over $200 and qualify for the free shipping. Yeah, sure, its twisted logic, but I've had a gift card earmarked for these since the re-releases were announced so in my mind its paid for already.

I guess the silver lining is that its easier to hit the $200 mark when the albums are $75? Both are on my "must have" list and I can throw in True Blue to just get over $200 and qualify for the free shipping. Yeah, sure, its twisted logic, but I've had a gift card earmarked for these since the re-releases were announced so in my mind its paid for already.
Yea--it's quite hard to find a good pressing of Speak No Evil which is on my must-buy list and I don't have Midnight Blue...but hard for me to justify the cost. I also have been staying away because I think once I buy one SRX, I might want to buy them all hah. I have a lot of MM pressings and just don't find myself playing them all that much for some reason. Maybe its the 45 RPM but I'm not sure.

Yea--it's quite hard to find a good pressing of Speak No Evil which is on my must-buy list and I don't have Midnight Blue...but hard for me to justify the cost. I also have been staying away because I think once I buy one SRX, I might want to buy them all hah. I have a lot of MM pressings and just don't find myself playing them all that much for some reason. Maybe its the 45 RPM but I'm not sure.

With Somethin' Else, my rationale was that it would be tough to find a nice, high-quality copy for under $100. Of course that didn't account for the bullshit of trying to get the order placed!

The going rate for quality Blue Note pressings is gonna be pretty high regardless. Unless you get a Tone Poet, but they are C and D list BN titles (which are still awesome records don’t get me wrong). The A list titles are gonna be really expensive even used and decades old.

Back