The Big Crown Thread and Leon Michel Stans

folsom_lives

So some of you may know from JQBX that I have been on a bit of a tear going through most of Big Crown's artists and some of the deep cuts from Leon Michels (aka El Michels). I also have noticed there is a lack of an appreciation thread or a release radar thread. That is frankly unacceptable to me.

So for the first time ever, I am creating a thread for anyone and everyone to enjoy all that Big Crown has to offer. If anyone has pre-order links or knows of other cool happenings let's keep this thread going.

Ok so the more I dig into these artists from Big Crown the more I am blown away by their pedigree.

Like Homer Steinweiss of Holy Hive appeared as a session musician for Amy Winehouses' Back to Black.

Great thread idea! I've thought about starting a Daptone/Big Crown thread in the past because it's a lot of the same folks within both groups. The Dap-Kings deep dive is one I took a year or two ago and it's a lot of fun to follow. Homer is my favorite drummer and it's amazing to see all of the different projects he and the rest of The Dap-Kings have a hand in (Holy Hive, The Arcs, The Dap-Kings are all over Amy Winehouse's - Back to Black, as well as albums from Bruno Mars, Mark Ronson, Michael Buble, St. Vincent and more. Plus they're featured on many songs, including some of pops biggest hits like Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia, Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk!, Bruno Mars - 24K Magic & Locked Out of Heaven, The Jonas Brothers - Sucker, and The Carters - SUMMER). I've started a playlist of Dap-Kings work because it's so vast haha.

As far as Big Crown I love Holy Hive, Lady Wray, Lee Fields & The Expressions, and El Michels Affair and Liam Bailey!

Great thread idea! I've thought about starting a Daptone/Big Crown thread in the past because it's a lot of the same folks within both groups. The Dap-Kings deep dive is one I took a year or two ago and it's a lot of fun to follow. Homer is my favorite drummer and it's amazing to see all of the different projects he and the rest of The Dap-Kings have a hand in (Holy Hive, The Arcs, The Dap-Kings are all over Amy Winehouse's - Back to Black, as well as albums from Bruno Mars, Mark Ronson, Michael Buble, St. Vincent and more. Plus they're featured on many songs, including some of pops biggest hits like Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia, Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk!, Bruno Mars - 24K Magic & Locked Out of Heaven, The Jonas Brothers - Sucker, and The Carters - SUMMER). I've started a playlist of Dap-Kings work because it's so vast haha.

As far as Big Crown I love Holy Hive, Lady Wray, Lee Fields & The Expressions, and El Michels Affair and Liam Bailey!
Oh yeah the crossovers with Menahan Street Band is crazy too.

And the Liam Bailey / El Michels collaboration is probably #1 in my books for Big Crown releases.

New Crown Jewels comp up for preorder.

Back