The 33 1/3 thread.... (the book series)

Currently reading the Public Enemy ~ It Takes a Nation Of Millions to Hold Us Back 33 1/3. Turns out to be an interesting read on the source of the samples for the album. Lots of references to James Brown & the Wattstax festival. I'd never heard of the Wattstax festival before, that was a good rabbit hole to go down as well. Highway 61 Revisited and Vs. are up next.
is that the one that questlove is doing a documentary on?

is that the one that questlove is doing a documentary on?
Nope that was the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival (the movie is called Summer of Soul and it’s available on Hulu). There is a film about Wattstax, which was a big festival in 1972 that Stax threw. It was organized in conjunction with the anniversary of the 65 Watts riots. It was the brainchild of Al Bell who took over Stax, basically, after Atlantic ran off with the back catalog in 67. It marks the beginning of a lot of lavish spending by the label that contributed to its diminishment. Eventually, Stax filed bankruptcy in late 75.

Last edited:
The Trooper was always one of my favourite Maiden songs and I wore a Trooper t-shirt in high school all the time. Then I found this beer, cracked it open one night, and my primary recollection of it is "like licking pennies." Are these a special batch?
One of my favourite parts of World War Z (the book) where they used "The Trooper" as the music to rally the troops and attract zombies into the kill zones. I wished that made it into the movie.

I enjoyed De-evolution. Its no WWZ but a fun read. It was the perfect ebook to read while using my exercise bike since it made me want to at least finish the current chapter when my timer went of.

The Trooper was always one of my favourite Maiden songs and I wore a Trooper t-shirt in high school all the time. Then I found this beer, cracked it open one night, and my primary recollection of it is "like licking pennies." Are these a special batch?
No, it’s a brew that Brewce 🤪 Dickinson worked on specifically with Robinson. They have a stout out too now I believe.

They have done quite a few variations now ... some are better than others!

I’m gonna have to post some beer bottle pictures ..you have been warned !

They also announced the next wave of titles a couple of days ago!

NEW-33-1_3-2-e1630430278911.jpg

The following titles will publish from Spring 2023 through Fall 2024:

BBC Radiophonic Workshop’s BBC Radiophonic Workshop – A Retrospective by William Weir

Body Count’s Body Count by Ben Apatoff

Cardi B’s Invasion of Privacy by Ma’Chell Duma

Depeche Mode’s 101 by Mary Valle

Dolly Parton’s White Limozeen by Steacy Easton

k.d. lang’s Ingénue by Joanna McNaney Stein

Little Richard’s Here’s Little Richard by Jordan Bassett

Madonna’s Erotica by Michael T. Dango

Madvillain’s Madvillainy by Will Hagle

Mötley Crüe’s Shout at the Devil by Micco Caporale

The Clash’s Sandinista! by Micajah Henley

The Go-Go’s Beauty and the Beat by Lisa Whittington-Hill

Back