The 2023 Record Store Day Help Thread For Those Mourning Taylor Swift's Breakup

@Mather @yukbon

I have a copy if Tricky in-hand. After the government's cut it was $50 Canadian coloured papers. My local still had 4 left and closes in an hour so I could probably also nab one tomorrow. But also recognize this is expensive. Shipping would likely run $18-20, I reckon.

I'm also fine to keep it. So nobody feel obligated but I wanted to loop you guys in. @Mather is first in the queue.

@Mather @yukbon

I have a copy if Tricky in-hand. After the government's cut it was $50 Canadian coloured papers. My local still had 4 left and closes in an hour so I could probably also nab one tomorrow. But also recognize this is expensive. Shipping would likely run $18-20, I reckon.

I'm also fine to keep it. So nobody feel obligated but I wanted to loop you guys in. @Mather is first in the queue.
Hey mate, I'm game, I'll do it. Thank you

would really appreciate it if somebody in US or - ideally - Canada could grab this for me (sold out in two Montreal stores while three more didn't get it)

View attachment 172732

Shit! I'm sorry I forgot you had posted this in my scramble with the kids. They still had at least 2 an hour before close at my local but I didn't see the price. I'll try and steal away to have another look tomorrow if you're still looking - if you can let me know by 1pm your time whether you're still looking, they open an hour later.

Shit! I'm sorry I forgot you had posted this in my scramble with the kids. They still had at least 2 an hour before close at my local but I didn't see the price. I'll try and steal away to have another look tomorrow if you're still looking - if you can let me know by 1pm your time whether you're still looking, they open an hour later.
I'll check out online leftovers tomorrow morning and will let you know by your 9am. thank you so much!

I know a couple folks have asked about it, so to make it easier and as a central area of information, here's a thread for those who can't make it out to Record Store Day and/or those who strike out on that one record they had to have.

Following scotthilk's prior guidance, which I thought worked well, same base guidelines you can choose to follow or not but I'd recommend you do with a couple added ones.

• Please post any item you don't, reasonably, think you'll be able to get at your local store or online in the immediate aftermath that you are really looking for. I'd recommend being a bit judicious - The Isbell/Shires Sound Emporium EP has 11k copies and probably isn't selling out immediately so you may not need to share it as a need, but if you want something and fear you won't get it, post it here.
  • Please post a photo with any item. This genuinely makes it a lot easier for people looking to quickly ascertain what is needed and grab a copy for folks here.
  • Please either be around to update your post if you get an item or be clear about your likelihood of being here. If you pick up something on your list, please strike it out or delete it as soon as possible. If you'll be away and not near a computer, say that up front. Generally in the past, people who are here and can reply to buyer questions are more likely to end up with a copy of an item. I know if/when I grab stuff for folks, I generally like confirm they still need it but if I'm grabbing off of a list, I assume it's still in need.
  • Please - good vibes only. It was rare but in past years there have been some people upset that people buying either went out of order or that they didn't get something others did. RSD can be stressful and the people buying are doing some labor usually for no financial gain - please be understanding that we don't have a perfect system and quick decisions are being made to buy or not buy something. Similarly, if you're buying, please only do so in a fashion (financially, personally, etc.) you feel comfortable with.
  • Face Value + Shipping Please: I don't think we've ever really had the issue here in this thread, but it's not meant as a resale-for-profit thread. The idea is to get these records to folks who want them without having to pay those RSD resellers. The vast majority of these won't bring a profit anyway but please be reasonable on both ends. I'll post a link to Bull Moose below which is usually MSRP - but local stores can add up to 20% to that price, with tax, and shipping. If you have a hard price limit for any given record, I recommend sharing it in your original post so a buyer doesn't drop a higher price than expected and then a negotiation occurs.

I'll post an example listing in the next post.

Anyway, helpful RSD Links

Bull Moose RSD Listings - This is a good resource for "face-value" pricing for RSD releases and release images - they usually list all U.S. Items at MSRP. Your pricing at the local store and in "needs" here should probably be within about 20% of the value listed (so a $50 record at Bull Moose will likely be $60 + Tax + Shipping if your buyer gets it at Newbury). This is also one of the better ones to order from for RSD Leftovers - good pricing, low free shipping barometer, well packed.

Record Store Day Release List - This is the official list with some print runs for the U.S. The print runs can be misleading (U.S. Only or Worldwide, some don't get shipped, etc.) but it's a good general barometer

Online Retailers

In the past few years, record stores have been allowed to post their RSD Leftovers either later that day or early the next day. I believe this year the allowance for this is 8 AM Eastern on Sunday, April 23rd (if Plaid Room is to be believed and why wouldn't you). Some of the highest demand titles may never make it online but many often do in some quantities. Here's a list below of a handful of retailers who regularly post their leftover RSD Stock Online to keep an eye on. If we hear specific times beyond that we can update. I liked to Bull Moose above, here are some others

Plaid Room Records (other than being one of the best indie record stores in the country, they also keep active stock of all their items as RSD goes, which can give a small barometer to demand as well as allotments - usually MSRPish. Online at 8 AM Eastern 4/23)

Newbury Comics (the upside of Newbury is they get a LOT of stock as a multi-store chain, the downside is they are always at the highest end of pricing. Often a good place to find the hottest pop or hip-hop releases of RSD that others stores underorder or don't get allotment of)

Zia Records (Online at 8 AM Eastern 4/23 - good shipping/pricing/availability combo. Usually my first stop for indie focused RSD items)

Yellow Dog Discs (Online at 8 AM Eastern 4/23) - I know others have had a lot of luck with them on harder to find items.

Piranha Records - Last year they had a substantial amount of stock left over

Electric Fetus - Same as Piranha, a perennial winner in the post-mayhem stock game.

Your Media Exchange - Another one that popped up later in the game last year with some hard to find titles

Park Ave CDs - Like the above, had some hard to find titles and is a legit store

Darkside Records

Hi Voltage Records

There are a lot of retailers so if anyone else has ones they like for us to be ready for, I can add them. If you really want something I strongly recommend trolling Ebay and Discogs day of as well as people will list at non insane prices oddly frequently. I suspect there will be a notable uptick of reselling this year as people put in the effort for the Taylor Swift release and then buy a bunch of other name stuff to make it worth it. So it may be different than the past few years were.
Thanks for taking this over this year! TBH, I had nothing huge on my list and even slept in! It was great. Hope to be more helpful next year! :)

Missed Larry at Plaidroom guessing gone fast anywhere else. Otherwise I got one yesterday and the two I wanted today.

Got The Cure, Pearl Jam and Soul Asylum at Plaid Room. I grabbed Taylor Swift but sold out while I was checking out. The swifties are fast man.

Got The Cure, Pearl Jam and Soul Asylum at Plaid Room. I grabbed Taylor Swift but sold out while I was checking out. The swifties are fast man.

UPDATE: SOLD OUT

I got Taylor Swift and PM Dawn from Bullmoose. Trying to go back in to order a few more things but the site is so slow now! Oh well, back to bed.

Both T.Swift and Nuggets dropped from my cart while I was waiting for checkout and Plaid Room. C'est la vie. Any others stores that should be checked?

UPDATE: SOLD OUT
Thanks. It was bottom of what I wanted to grab so not heartbroken.

Back