The 10 albums that "made an impact" thread

DownIsTheNewUp

So... this is not dissimilar to the Pitchfork-inspired 5-10-15-20-exc thread except that it will along the younger members here to really express the trajectory of their musical tastes.

(I'm basically stealing this idea from Facebook but...) Choose 10 (or eleven if you need an "extra") albums that made a deep impact on you. They don't have to be in chronological order. They don't have to be the most "important" albums or the "favorites". Just the ones that signify a specific point in your life and help shape your love of music. Elaborate if you want to. Or don't...

Last edited:
I'm not old enough and got into music too late to have anything for 5 and 10 so I'm going to go year by year. I got into music later than most at about 14/15 so I'll start around there.

14 - Catch 22 - Keasbey Nights

15 - The Apples in Stereo - The Discovery of a World Inside the Moone

16 - The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow

17 - Radiohead - OK Computer

18 - The Smiths - The Queen is Dead

19 - The Replacements - Tim

20 - Eluvium - Copia

21 - Elvis Costello - My Aim is True

22 - Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

23 - Nothing - Guilty of Everything

24 - The Radio Dept. - Pet Grief

25 - Angel Olsen - My Woman

- The Mountain Goats - Full Force Galesburg

27 - Wild Nothing - Indigo

28 - The National - I Am Easy to Find

I just turned 29 earlier this month so I don't feel like I can place an album there for this journey around the sun just yet.

1- Ace Of Base, "The Sign"
This is the first that I got because I liked it. It was the first moment when I said "I listen to this because I like this, not because my parents are listening to it". I still think it's a good pop album.

2/3- Alanis Morissette, "Jagged Little Pill" and "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie"
I'll try to make this short. JLP was the first time that I understood what was that thing about "expressing feelings with music". That album displays a very wide range of emotions, and that was the first time I got it. It was also the first album that I translated all the lyrics using a dictionary, so I can say that I learnt English with JLP. SFIJ was a "WTF is this???". The emotions were there indeed, but this time they were less in your face and more nuanced (is that a word?). Also, the songwriting became more intimate and complicated and almost experimental, and 15-years-old Waitressboy just discovered that you could also do that without sounding like you were mental.

4- Tori Amos, "From The Choirgirl Hotel"
I just can't even start saying how important this album is for me. I just can't. It literally changed my mind.

5- Spice, "Spiceworld"
Ok, let me be serious for a moment here. When I was a teenager I was living in the countryside, in a little town with no book stores, only one record store that had the worst music in the world, and I realized I was gay and I was the only gay person in 100 km around. Plus (or because of that?) I started to show symptoms of what I thought was deppresion but actually was bipolar disorder (I know that like ten years later). I started loving music, and by 1998 there was a lot of music I loved. And one day I decided I had enough and make a pact with myself: I wasn't going to kill myself, not until the Spice Girls released their third album. Spiceworld was amazing for me, it was (is) my definition of happiness. So I could wait a couple of years to get another dose of happiness. That simple resolution gave me twenty more years of life, and counting.

6- Diamanda Galás - "Plague Mass"
It was the first time I listened to something that was really avant-garde. I still have a lot to learn about it, but it gave me a different perspective of what can be called music.

7- Aimee Mann - Magnolia Soundtrack
I might be cheating on this, because I'm talking about the songs of Aimee in the soundtrack, not the whole album. Nobody can write songs about mental health like Aimee. The lyrics of all those songs made me feel less alone and, somehow, less depressed.

8/9- Liliana Felipe - "Tangachos" and Liliana Herrero - "Confesión Del Viento"
An Argentinian journalist once said that you grew up, that you'd become an adult when you listen to a tango and it moves you to tears. Well, "Tangachos" was that album. It is only bandoneón, cello and piano, but Felipe's voice gives me FEELINGS. And it has the best version ever of "Naranjo en flor", perhaps the saddest tango of the history. "Confesión del viento", on the other hand, is folklore music -like Mercedes Sosa, but with a twist. Herrero doesn't have an enormous voice like Mercedes Sosa had; Herrero is all about pathos. And this album taught that folklore music is not the awful, boring thing that we're being taught in primary school.

(oh shit, I'm leaving a lot of stuff behind)

10- Catatonia - "International Velvet"
Or any album of Catatonia, tbh. It's a mix of the voice of Cerys (so sad and sexy and broken) with the lyrics... Cerys is an amazing songwriter, she finds everyday objects as metaphors of human relationships. Mulder and Scully, road rage, furniture, The Godfather: everything works as an example of how complicated love can be. This album is pure poetry, and it reminds me that sometimes great lyrics doesn't need to have impressive overcomplicated metaphores.

As to mine:

Van Morrison: Moondance
Everybody has that album that was ingrained into their DNA via the parents right? It'd be easy to put Rubber Soul or any other number of Beatles albums here, but I actually listen to Van Morrison more often than the Beatles as an adult and find his sound in more of the artists that I gravitate towards (Riley Walker for example).

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Blood Sugar Sex Magic
I went into Sam Goody looking for Californiacation (also a wonderful album) but an employee there convinced me to buy this instead. My intro to funk music in a way- and an album that remained a staple- middle school through college.

Outkast: Stankonia
I remember being thrown off upon hearing this for the first time as I lay in bed with my walkman post-Christmas, 8th grade. I was used to G-funk- but this way different. Chaotic and soulful all at once. The ultimate grower.

Modest Mouse: The Moon and Antarctica
The Lonesome Crowded West is my favorite Modest Mouse album. But this is where my infatuation with indie rock started. The way it utilized the atmospherics of a group like Pink Floyd (a band that feels very strange to leave off this list) helped me grow comfortable with the guitar peddle drenched dissonance that I'd later learn to crave.

Infected Mushroom: Converting Vegetarians
Moby's Play was my real introduction to electronic music (thanks to a ride in my dad's coworker's Corvette) and an album I played to death in whatever-year it came out. But that album, while a stone cold classic, was always designed for the NPR crowd. And it didn't send me down a rabbit hole the way Converting Vegetarians did a couple years later. This is trance music at its best. Catchy, deceptively melodic, super dancable.

Nine Inch Nails: The Fragile
Thank you Trent Reznor for creating the album that got me through the roughest portion of high school. It's good to see the critics have finally come around on this masterpiece 20 years later (I see you Pitchfork and your 8.7 retrospective review).

Radiohead: Amnesiac
I'd call Radiohead my favorite band, and I'm of the age that they should have been a staple of my adolescence. Except that Colorado radio didn't really play them... It took Freshman year of college and a friend who grew up in Hong Kong being like "what do you mean you've never heard Radiohead!". Amnesiac was my go to sleep-aid during years of battles with insomnia.

Aesop Rock: Labor Days
I listened to a lot of rap in middle school before largely turning my back on the genre in HS. That changed when I went to college and became friends with a guy from the Twin Cities who introduced me to the underground scene. It was tempting to put Brother Ali's Shadows on the Sun here so as to pay tribute to the importance of the Minnesota scene in me becoming a full-fledged hip-hop junkie... but Labor Days has to be the one. Hyper dense lyricism that you can spend hours peeling + intoxicating samples via Blockhead: this album is everything I love about an era of hip-hop that is at risk of becoming forgotten.

Grimes: Visions
This album sounded so ALIEN when I first heard it. It also (along with Jaar's Space Is Only Noise) cemented my love for heady, down-tempo electronica. And frankly, her follow up Art Angels could be on this list too... as its form of Art Pop transformed my opinion of the genre and helped it become a large part of my aural vocabulary.

Arcade Fire: Reflektor
I flirted with a love of the Talking Heads in college. I dabbled in (but then ditched) Berlin-era Bowie at the height of the recession. I had always appreciated Arcade Fire without ever feeling the need to put them on. I was a big fan of "This is Happening" but not much else by LCD Soundsystem. That all changed with Reflektor. Somehow, this (polarizing) album (+ seeing AF live at Coachella in 2014) triggered a DEEP love for ALL of the above via the amalgamation of its influences. My record collection will never be the same.

Vince Staples: Summertime 06'
To these ears, To Pimp a Butterfly is the best album of this decade. But Summertime 06', which came out the same year, is the one that changed my taste in rap. Butterfly was tailored made for me with its conscious, literate lyrics and jazz infused G-funk. Summertime 06' is made of up pieces I had typically dismissed- auto-tune and bangers specifically. But Vince's lyrics are SMART and Summertime's beats deceptively adventurous AND catchy. Bangers with substance basically.

Last edited:
1. The National - Boxer - at this point, it's self-explanatory

2. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, maad city - so I had gotten into hip hop in and out throughout my adolescence, but I never went deep. I really only listened to the popular stuff honestly. Eventually I just kinda stopped trying to keep track of the genre. And then...I was just completely drawn to want to listen to this album. it had just come out and I saw so many positive reviews I just went ahead and drove to the store and bought a copy. I was very quickly blown away. sounds dumb maybe, but it really made me appreciate the genre more and truly made me interested in digging back into hip hop again. I still adore this album. To Pimp A Butterfly is technically better, but I will always favor this one for it reignited a love for hip hop and subsequently introduced me to so many amazing artists

3. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion - perhaps another kinda easy pick, but I gotta be honest...the experience of this album clicking with me was one of the most memorable music experiences of my life. Took me a while to get into it, but I kept getting called back, slowly liking each song one by one and eventually the whole thing just made sense and completely swept me away. It's not my favorite Animal Collective album because after this I went on to discover and love their entire catalog. But goddamn if it isn't still a great listen. And it reminds me so vividly of winter 2009. Lots of personal memories are tied to this LP, and every time I play it, it's a huge nostalgia trip. I can't believe it's been 10 years.

4. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me - this was my introduction to Joanna Newsom proper. I had heard bits of Ys but never gave it a chance until after falling in love with this one. I think it's a true masterpiece of an album, one that deserves one of the very top spots of best of this decade. I had never heard someone do music like this before. Her voice, the dense lyrics, the lengthy songs all pulled together to a lengthy 3 disc album, the harp as a primary instrument...it all just felt like something so unique and mesmerizing. Right off the bat, this album worked some sort of magic on my ears. It's still some of the most breathtaking, beautiful, perfectly composed music I've ever heard. Although it's a sprawling work that is almost daunting at first, I find it's still a great gateway into her music. The length isn't an issue as it doesn't demand you listen front to back every single time. Though once I start, I almost always want to. People are starting to put together best of the decade lists, and if this thing doesn't make it onto them, we've got some talking to do. She might just be one of the best musicians and finest artists of this generation. And this album proves it time and time again.

5. Bright Eyes - Fevers And Mirrors - this here was my big introduction into the indie music scene and the concurrent rise of that genre into the mainstream. Bright Eyes maybe never were as cool as a lot of the NYC-based indie rock of the era, but they were a true favorite of mine. And all of their albums remain deeply personal. This album was my first with Bright Eyes. Again, this was like nothing I had ever heard before. It felt so small and homemade and weird. Who was this guy? This album was a mystery, but one I wanted to figure out for myself. More than any other album in my early high school days, this was THE ONE that I always turned to. It was there for me, truly. I would sit alone, with some headphones and play the CD at night, and despite its overwhelming sadness, it began to be such a comfort. This kicked off a big phase for me that lasted through much of my high school (I discovered this album late Freshman year). It introduced me to Saddle Creek, which was also my introduction to the idea of what a music label is. I would fill out the pamphlet they included in their CDs, save up some money, and then send it away, eagerly waiting for what new artist or album was to come. This was at the tail-end of this as a thing. In fact, at this point, people were already finding music online I think. But I didn't have a stable computer of my own, so that was a no-go. And, it was just something special - a strange connection - to be getting these physical copies of CDs in the mail slowly. In fact, as I type this I am now beginning to understand this definitely started my obsession with collecting physical copies of music. For a long, long time it was just CDs. But now of course, it's vinyl. So really, I owe so much to this release. That said, Lifted is still my overall favorite Bright Eyes album. Fevers was Bright Eyes still feeling like a Conor Oberst album, but Lifted went big - drawing upon numerous collaborators to bring the more grand-scale ideas of Conor's to life. It was like this album had to exist for the next one to exist. I just recently went back through a big Bright Eyes re-discoery, and I gotta say - it's still such a joy to track the progression from Fevers to People's Key. I could write about Bright Eyes for so much longer, but I'm a little scattered so I'll just leave it there.

- I'll post five more later on. I've already spent too much of my night writing this post, and I figure I should probably cool it.

I'm not old enough and got into music too late to have anything for 5 and 10 so I'm going to go year by year. I got into music later than most at about 14/15 so I'll start around there.

14 - Catch 22 - Keasbey Nights

15 - The Apples in Stereo - The Discovery of a World Inside the Moone

16 - The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow

17 - Radiohead - OK Computer

18 - The Smiths - The Queen is Dead

19 - The Replacements - Tim

20 - Eluvium - Copia

21 - Elvis Costello - My Aim is True

22 - Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

23 - Nothing - Guilty of Everything

24 - The Radio Dept. - Pet Grief

25 - Angel Olsen - My Woman

26 - The Mountain Goats - Full Force Galesburg

27 - Wild Nothing - Indigo

28 - The National - I Am Easy to Find

I just turned 29 earlier this month so I don't feel like I can place an album there for this journey around the sun just yet.
so I am actually 28 lmao. I guess what they say about forgetting how old you are after the age of 25 is true. :LOL:

Great idea for a thread. I've got some idea about the other nine I will do, but I think this topic requires some time and thought... a lot more effort than just a list and a cursory summary of why the record was impactful. I've also got some interesting ideas about what records to cover and why. Some of them are not the easiest things for me to listen to now, but each record I cover will be something that was a bit of a milestone to my musical interests. I can think of no better record than the record I will talk about first as it is a bit of an origin story of what I view as a bit of a forum myth.

1. Lee Moses - Time and Place

This whole post is actually about giving credit where it is due. From the onset, I have to mention @Matt M because just a little more than an hour ago, he posted this in what's spinning and after several days of agonizing over what record to start with and how to tell certain stories, a light bulb went over my head in full Tex Avery fashion.

In the old home, the first round of this reissue was in the curated section. I have stated time and time again, that while those dudes aren't the best businessmen I've ever come across, they did have great taste in music. All other things aside, that service introduced me to a lot of great music. Even more so, that forum was the origin of this forum and many of the same people post here, the vibe is much the same, and as well, I don't think there has ever been assembled a more knowledgeable or passionate group of music nerds. As Severan once said, we're capital H heads.

So when @mcherry, one of the few people here, there, or anywhere that I defer to in all things soul said this album needed to be picked up, well I did. This record is fire. It was a lost gem. It is, in its own way, a musical history of the late sixties and so much more. In a just world, it would be one of the most well known albums of all time. His guitar playing and voice are unique and amazing. Seriously, if you like music, if you dig soul, if you are one of the people pining over every @Plaid Room / Colemine or @soulsteprecords or Big Crown or Daptone release, then this is one you need - stop reading and go listen to it.

It opened me up to explore more of these reissue boutique labels like Light in the Attic (the label that reissued this album) or Numero. However, in addition to rekindling a long love affair with soul music in general (just in time for Stax to sort of explode on the scene again), it had a bigger impact.

@Crabbers started playing this record by a lady called Gloria Barnes right after BFRSD 2017, about a year after I got this beast of a record. Either through a post or just our mutual appreciation of soul with him reaching out to me about it or vice versa, he mentioned that it was a companion piece to the Moses record. In fact, Moses plays guitar (and sings a bit) on the record. The Ohio Players are there. Again, if you ain't heard it... get thee to listening and stop with all this reading bs.

And that's where the real impact is... so I've a habit of exploring the nooks and crannies of my favorite records which led me to another boutique reissue label called Remined. It so happens to be a sublabel of Colemine. I resisted the influence of Crabbers and @Enoch telling me to sign up for their subscription emails. I eventually caved and added myself to the email list. Still I resisted, but I started to listen to the stuff the label was putting out. Then there was buzz, a lot of buzz, as ATO took over for Durand Jones's distribution. Their first s/t record became one that I knew I needed but still resisted the urge to buy. Honestly, and I know there is a bit of heresy here, that first album didn't quite sell me. There is something trying too hard to be current in it. Something about the drumming Aaron does that just doesn't feel as earnest as their next record - American Love Call - did. Someone, and dammit, I hate that the old place is gone, offered to send me an extra copy of that first album my way. (YOU HAVE TO LOVE THIS PLACE!!!! HOW CAN YOU NOT, WHEN STUFF LIKE THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!!!) And that was it, when their new album was announced, I ordered the indie store variant from Plaid Room. I also added the live record from the previous RSD to that order and bam... I hit the bottom of that Rabbit Hole hard.

So, there you go. That's what lead to me discovering Colemine, my absolute favorite label. One that currently has three records in the top ten of the year for me. While I often direct people to Crabbers when they thank me for their love for the label - the real reason I found them goes back to a record most people don't know exists, a record club I don't want anything to do with anymore, and the best moderator anyone ever had.

further listening:

Last edited:
Back