The “Similar Album” Stack

TrainFan73

Frothy
I have no idea if this will get any traction.

I’ve really been digging the Futurebirds album that was the discovery pick for Magnolia Record Club this month. I decided to see what Allmusic would say was a similar album. Next thing I know I had spin the following by spinning a record that was similar to the last one I had spun! It was a fun exercise!
A2E05521-C3F1-4119-ADCF-2871C8E5F21E.jpeg
Futurebirds - Teamwork
BNQT - Volume 1
Susto - & I’m Fine Today
Jeff Tweedy - Together at Last
Will Oldham - Songs of Love and Terror (which may have to be followed up by Colter Wall in @Indymisanthrope ’s honor!)

Last edited:
Ok, so I was wondering how I should kick start my similar album stack.
Initially I thought of picking up from Lee's last album but I ended up with using the calendar to pick a record. Today is 4/17 so I'll start with album #417 on my Discogs collection:

image.jpg
I'll post the complete stack when I'm done

Will probably have to finish in the morning, but here’s what I got starting with @Crabbers ’ exceptional record of the month:
DDBC1E15-9A5E-4BF8-B21B-81FA7BC1805E.jpeg
Patrick Sweany - Every Hour is a Dollar Gone
Dan Auerbach - Waiting on a Song
Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - The Nashville Sound
Josh Ritter - Fever Breaks
Jennifer Lewis with the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat

Will probably have to finish in the morning, but here’s what I got starting with @Crabbers ’ exceptional record of the month:
View attachment 41885
Patrick Sweany - Every Hour is a Dollar Gone
Dan Auerbach - Waiting on a Song
Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - The Nashville Sound
Josh Ritter - Fever Breaks
Jennifer Lewis with the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat
Well all be damned...I’ll play along with this thread:)

I love those first 2 picks btw @Lee Newman...never listened to the other 3 tho:)

Here’s an interesting stack. These are albums I got through Vinyl Den or Magnolia. Vinyl Den is how I came to be a part of Magnolia:
6202A574-5474-4C9A-B66C-19E6D4BA83C9.jpeg
Rayland Baxter - Soho/Thunder Demos
Longhorns Slum - Lost at Last Vol. 1
The Lumineers - III
Shovels & Rope - By Blood
The Head and the Heart - Living Mirage

I gave this a try. I hit a few deadends where I did have all the links but didn't want to repeat an artist twice (Of course Beck's album is similar to an album that's similar to Beck's album!). I started with Beck's Modern Guilt because I was actually spinning his discography the other day and got to this album and stopped.

IMG_20200418_144035.jpg

Beck - Modern Guilt
Air - Pocket Symphony
Broadcast - Haha Sound
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will
Godbless You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O.

I hit a few albums I was trying to make it in the stack - it was almost like doing a puzzle! I was trying to avoid Radiohead because every artist and every album is related to Radiohead in my collection! This was a collection where I probably haven't heard any of these in a while

EDIT - you know what. I played Morning Phase not Modern Guilt - I broke it!!!

Last edited:
Back