Ten Favorite Albums of the Decade (2010-2019)

I find it difficult to choose something from this year, as it needs more time to sink in, but I know at least one of my top 5 should probably be in there, I just can't work out which one yet.

1) Beyonce - Lemonade
2) Kamasi Washington - The Epic
3) Father John Misty - Pure Comedy
4) Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires Of The City
5) Flying Lotus - You're Dead
6) Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
7) Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record
8) Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
9) Sons Of Kemet - Your Queen Is A Reptile
10) Something from 2019 (probably Lizzo??? not sure!)
I absolutely love this top 10! There’s no Frank Ocean, Tame Impala or Kendrick Lamar, but nevertheless, it’s a great decade-end list! 👌

My Top 10:

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
2. The War on Drugs - Lost In The Dream
3. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
4. Jason Isbell - Southeastern
5. Bon Iver - Bon Iver
6. Robyn - Body Talk
7. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
8. Lana Del Ray - Norman Fucking Rockwell
9. Titus Andronicus - The Monitor
10. Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear

My Top 10:

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
2. The War on Drugs - Lost In The Dream
3. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
4. Jason Isbell - Southeastern
5. Bon Iver - Bon Iver
6. Robyn - Body Talk
7. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
8. Lana Del Ray - Norman Fucking Rockwell
9. Titus Andronicus - The Monitor
10. Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear
Mmmmmmm yesssss! I’m really feeling this top 10 decade-end list as well!!! It’s such a diverse mix of albums! 🌟💎

I did a previous list but this was after a bit more reflection/looking into what was released in the decade.

1. Kamasi Washington - The Epic
2. Muriel Grossmann - Golden Rule
3. Sons of Kemet - Your Queen is a Reptile
4. Orchestra Baobab - Tribute to Ndiouga Dieng
5. Beyonce - Lemonade
6. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
7. Gillian Welch - The Harrow & The Harvest
8. Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba - Jama Ko
9. Midland - On The Rocks
10. Ondatropica

Very honourable mention - would have been number one for releases this decade but not exactly an album from this decade
Miles Davis Quintet - Live in Europe 1967

I posted a provisional list earlier this year (post #58), but here is the final version. By and large I'm following @GritNGlitter's criteria of "time spent with album" (with one notable exception):
  1. Grimes - Art Angels (2015): Debut is my favorite Bjork album, so clearly I have a thing for janky pop records. Sadly I must specify that the CD/digital version is better because it includes both versions of "Realiti," which is arguably her best song (the vinyl version contains neither). The way she screams "but you don't know me" in "Kill v. Maim" is probably my favorite music moment of the decade.
  2. Beach House - Teen Dream (2010): Beach House was to the 2010s what Spoon was to the 2000s: a consistently great act that regularly put out solid albums (see honorable mentions below).
  3. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear (2015): The male Lana Del Rey? I get that he puts off a lot of people, but he is a fine vocalist and, for better or (more likely) worse, I find his cynical world view to be quite relatable.
  4. Alvvays - Alvvays (2014): The last contemporary album I truly fell in love with. I only discovered this band in 2018 and they've since become a reliable soundtrack to long drives. Rock music, not dead yet.
  5. Real Estate - Days (2011): So. Fucking. Pleasant. With. Beer.
  6. Grimes - Visions (2012): Monochromatic compared to Art Angels, which in turn helps it hold better together as an album. I feel silly including two Grimes albums in my top 10 but honesty is a good trait.
  7. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake (2011): Well, this is a masterpiece. Probably the most timeless album on my entire list, thanks to the peculiar instrumentation and subject matter.
  8. Chairlift - Something (2012): This is a vanity pick. I just love Polachek's voice and I remember the 80s just enough for synths to trigger vague nostalgic feelings. Also, this is a major white whale.
  9. Robyn - Body Talk (2010): A late addition to my list, because I only recently realized how well this album has aged. This is seriously a dance party unto itself.
  10. David Bowie - Blackstar (2016): This is the exception I mentioned above: an album that I do not (cannot) play all that often... but when I do, I find it unimpeachable. This is arguably a top 5 album in one of the greatest discographies in rock/pop music.

Honorable mentions (toughest cuts!):
St. Vincent - Strange Mercy (2011)
Beach House - Thank Your Lucky Stars (2016)
Beach House - Bloom (2012)
Tame Impala - Lonerism (2012)

Hard to pick only 10 but here goes, in no particular order:

• Nubya Garcia ‎– Nubya's 5ive
  • Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
  • Cyrille Aimée & Diego Figueiredo - Just The Two Of Us
  • Elvis Costello And The Roots - Wise Up Ghost (And Other Songs 2013)
  • The Civil Wars ‎– Barton Hollow
  • Lorde - Pure Heroine
  • James Blake - Overgrown
  • Tegan And Sara - Heartthrob
  • The Black Keys - El Camino
  • The Depreciation Guild - Spirit Youth

Due to popular demand, here it is:

It was a lot harder than I'd thought to narrow this down to just 10! Some very worthy albums just outside the cut, but for the most part, these are the ten albums that I spent the most time with, obsessed over, and defined my 20s (though I heard Kaputt for the first time on my 30th birthday and then spent most of last year going back to it again and again).

1. Feist - Metals
2. Bill Callahan - Dream River
3. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
4. Kevin Morby - Singing Saw
5. Nap Eyes - Whine of the Mystic
6. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
7. James Blackshaw - Love is the Plan, the Plan is Death
8. Destroyer - Kaputt
9. Nils Frahm - Spaces
10. Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me

In November and December I got a lot of listening in and this is where I'm at as of now. Some long drives over the holidays helped. I think I'm in the minority that prefers Kanye's MBDTF-Yeezus-LoP run over his first trilogy. I thought about doing one album per artist but leaving Yeezus or MBDTF out of this top 10 didn't feel right as there is a bit of a gap between #4 and #5 in terms of what those albums mean to me. I'm interested to see what happens with the Purple Mountains album going forward as it's impossible for me to disentangle my experience with it from Berman's death but I do believe it's one of the best albums from my favorite songwriter. This is Happening has jumped all over the place as I think it's the most uneven album I've presented here but I have so many great memories wrapped up in the highs of that album. I might throw together a top 10 favorite songs of the album and I know Dance Yrself Clean would be #1. I also got much more into electronic music in the 2010s and Nicolas Jaar (Against All Logic) was one of my favorite artists of the decade. 2012-2017 is the album of his that I've gone back to the most.

1) Kanye - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
2) Frank Ocean - Blonde
3) Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains
4) Kanye - Yeezus
5) LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening
6) Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me
7) Jamie XX - In Colour
8) Against All Logic - 2012-2017
9) Run The Jewels - RTJ2
10) Vektor - Terminal Redux

Very close to cracking the top ten and it makes me sad to leave them out:
Destroyer - Kaputt
Beach House - Teen Dream
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
Tribe Called Quest - We got it from here...

Back