Television

Nothing about Shrinking on Apple looked good to me. I'm not really a Segel fan, and Harrison Ford doing comedy is a dicey proposition. Add in "from the creator of Scrubs" and it could easily be an overdose of cartoony pathos.

But you know what? After a couple of early episodes that feel a little creaky with a "yes, I've seen attempts at shows like this before" feeling, it suddenly just clicks in and becomes a really enjoyable watch. Ford (honestly, how in the hell did they convince him to do this?) is doing better work than I've seen from him in a long time. The show is warm, kindhearted, funny without always going for a dumb punchline, and most importantly it doesn't overstay its welcome. I've seen five episodes, I think, and will probably suggest rewatching it with my wife because I think she'll love it.

If you're looking for something on a similar wavelength as Ted Lasso with just a smidge less overwhelming positivity, I'd recommend checking it out.
Shrinking is pretty good! It occasionally stumbles BUT there are some pretty great highs. And they’re establishing a fun, comfy rapport amongst the main characters that I think is hard to do. And the theme song by Ben Gibbard is dope.

Yeah, Sepinwall and Zoller-Seltz are two of my favorite TV critics and really love the media, I think that connects with creators like Chase.

If you enjoy The Soprano Seesions I would also recommend picking up a copy of this before your next Mad Men rewatch…
View attachment 167959Mad Man Carousel is a fantastic episode guide Zoller-Seltz released.
I had a copy of that, but I have no idea where it is. I wanted to do the same thing and read along as I watched this go around. Might just have to buy the ebook version

Party Down is back today with its first season in 13 years. I can't wait to watch!

View attachment 167965
what's the easiest way to watch this? Is it anywhere not Starz because there's no chance in hell I'm paying for another channel. I unfortunatey cancelled my VPN last year becaused I realized I was rarely using it to 🏴‍☠️ things anymore.

what's the easiest way to watch this? Is it anywhere not Starz because there's no chance in hell I'm paying for another channel. I unfortunatey cancelled my VPN last year becaused I realized I was rarely using it to 🏴‍☠️ things anymore.

I don't think it's anywhere else. My wife and I got a $20 for six months deal for Starz so we're using that.

Has anyone else started Hello Tomorrow! on Apple TV? I am 2 episodes in and kind of loving it so far. Definitely intrigued enough to see it through. I don't want to give too much away, but I think it's the perfect amount of weird for me.

Watched the Pilot episode of Superstore and what the hell was that? It had no substance, no backstory, just goofy characters going through seemingly unconnected scenes. It’s like they crammed a season’s worth of ideas into a single episode. Does it get better?

Watched the Pilot episode of Superstore and what the hell was that? It had no substance, no backstory, just goofy characters going through seemingly unconnected scenes. It’s like they crammed a season’s worth of ideas into a single episode. Does it get better?

Nope. It's mostly the same, exaggerated retail satary with no set story.

I mean, there was one episode that revolved around someone slicing their finger off working in the deli, they put it in some kind of container / cold food to preserve it so the finger can get reattached, but then of course someone puts said container out for sale. Then they can't find it and then it gets returned because someone found a finger in their food.

That was the whole episode with a bunch of random unrelated side skits. But that theme of the finger just kept coming up.

It's funny for people who worked retail and want mindless humor.

Nope. It's mostly the same, exaggerated retail satary with no set story.

I mean, there was one episode that revolved around someone slicing their finger off working in the deli, they put it in some kind of container / cold food to preserve it so the finger can get reattached, but then of course someone puts said container out for sale. Then they can't find it and then it gets returned because someone found a finger in their food.

That was the whole episode with a bunch of random unrelated side skits. But that theme of the finger just kept coming up.

It's funny for people who worked retail and want mindless humor.

I mean, it's good if you like mindless humor. But no, don't expect it to get any better than how you took the pilot.
I watched the second episode. It wasn’t amazing, but it was significantly better with a set storyline. I might stick with it idk

Lol. Seriously. Superstore is one of the best modern sitcoms from front to back. It is definitely set in a cheesier, less hip tone than the Office or Parks and Rec but it’s sneaky smart and the characters coalesce pretty quickly into a fantastic ensemble. The season near the end that deals with ICE is a great example of mixing serious topical stuff with a silly comedy show and the finale is great too. Stick with it!

I remember watching it and feeling similarly at the time and never revisited it.

I will say based on reviews it does seem as though it eventually hit its stride a bit. I don’t know if it was ever amazing but I think it would eventually become watchable. I doubt Superstore ever becomes The Office or Parks & Recreation (like I think it wants to be) but both those shows took a full season to kinda figure things out.

I watched the first few episodes of the Night Court reboot. It’s not a complete waste, Melissa Rauch and especially John Larroquette seem like they are having a good time. It’s not ground-breaking and obviously it has nothing on the original but I am will to give it a shot and see if maybe the show can figure out some other f it’s weaker parts.

Now I gotta give That 90s Show a shot.

Back