Television

Watching Paper Girls on Prime. Getting slight stranger things vibes from this show.
It’s a shame this is what a lot of people are probably gonna say about Paper Girls and maybe it doesn’t get picked up and turned into a TV Show if Stranger Things isn’t a runaway smash hit but The fantastic comic book that Papergirls is based on debuted at least a year prior to Stranger Things. It just hope they do a good job with it as the book is brilliant.

It’s a shame this is what a lot of people are probably gonna say about Paper Girls and maybe it doesn’t get picked up and turned into a TV Show if Stranger Things isn’t a runaway smash hit but The fantastic comic book that Papergirls is based on debuted at least a year prior to Stranger Things.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

The first episode had a good feel.

🤞🏻

Honestly, it probably wouldn't be all that difficult to wrap it up in a single season. Not important. We'll see.

This is great. The most I can say is that I used to work with the sister of the new lady on the local channel 8 news.
If you watch the show it’s the lanky guy with “an engineering background”. My wife flamed him right after saying he dropped out after a year. 😂

He fessed up later in the episode but it was hilarious hearing my wife roast somebody like that.

Halfway into Paper Girls, and there's def some differences from the comic, but so far nothing that has turned me off.

My one cause for eyerolls has been the conspicuous product placement by Amazon. I remembered there being some chatter about filming in Chicago last fall, and sure enough we clocked one of our favorite neighborhood strips in episode 2 when Mac is riding her bike alone at night... right past an Amazon Books storefront.

On a funny note, that store was among Amazon's brick and mortar closures this March. Had to get that shot in though when the store's demise wasn't so certain I guess, even though the story takes place in and around Cleveland. :rolleyes:

That said, really enjoying this cast. Ready to see where the second half of this goes. No regrets yet about contributing to early viewership numbers! I can't imagine they covered the whole comic series in just these 8 episodes.

My one cause for eyerolls has been the conspicuous product placement by Amazon. I remembered there being some chatter about filming in Chicago last fall, and sure enough we clocked one of our favorite neighborhood strips in episode 2 when Mac is riding her bike alone at night... right past an Amazon Books storefront
Like watching shows on Apple tv. Everyone has a big iPhone 13

I never watched X Files. Thinking about watching it with my kids (13, 10, 8). Would be interested to hear what other parents think.
That series premiered when I was 9. I watched it because my older brother was 15 and I wanted to watch whatever he watched. My thoughts are:
1) Not sure it'll hold up against expectations for broader story arcs across seasons like you get in most prestige TV today.
2) There are a lot of episodes of that series that are genuinely gruesome/scary/dark. For example, the Tooms episode from early in the series made a particular impression on me when I was young, but S4E2 is very disturbing at any age. That one is probably the most infamous example.
3) Monster of the week stuff is fun to varying degrees but the overall mythology never amounts to anything. It's all nonsense and Carter never had any plan for where he wanted any of it to go. If that's the stuff that interests you, you will end up baffled and disappointed.

Last edited:
That series premiered when I was 9. I watched it because my older brother was 15 and I wanted to watch whatever he watched. My thoughts are:
1) Not sure it'll hold up against expectations for broader story arcs across seasons like you get in most prestige TV today.
2) There are a lot of episodes of that series that are genuinely gruesome/scary/dark. For example, the Tooms episode from early in the series made a particular impression on me when I was young, but S4E2 is very disturbing at any age. That one is probably the most infamous example.
3) Monster of the week stuff is fun to varying degrees but the overall mythology never amounts to anything. It's all nonsense and Carter never had any plan for where he wanted any of it go. If that's the stuff that interests you, you will end up baffled and disappointed.
You just unlocked a memory I thought I had buried. That scene where they are burying the deformed baby in the rain. I can't believe my parents let me watch that. Dark stuff.

3) Monster of the week stuff is fun to varying degrees but the overall mythology never amounts to anything. It's all nonsense and Carter never had any plan for where he wanted any of it to go. If that's the stuff that interests you, you will end up baffled and disappointed.

The x files was really good for it’s time ..held it together really well until Duchovny started diving in and out ..

I never watched X Files. Thinking about watching it with my kids (13, 10, 8). Would be interested to hear what other parents think.
Not a parent but I started watching it when I was 11 or 12 I think the older two would probably be okay with it though it can get very scary. The 8 year old could watch some of the lighter episodes (it probably depends on the kid though).

The larger mythology is non-sense but I imagine if you go into it with that expectation it could be much more easily enjoyed.

Also, I don’t know if the conspiracy theory stuff aged well being we now like in the age of anti-vaxx, 5-G, 9/11 Truther, Pizzagate, Q Anon, etc…
The x files was really good for it’s time ..held it together really well until Duchovny started diving in and out ..
Yeah, I only ever regularly watched the first 5 or 6 seasons then my interest began to wane. I don’t think I ever even watched any of the post Duchovny episodes.

really good for it’s time
This is it, I think. The X-Files is born out of a lot of NWO / Area 51 / Oliver Stone's JFK / Coast to Coast with Art Bell conspiracy theory culture that came about in the 90s as technology was just on the cusp of becoming more broadly democratized and people were generally becoming more savvy about who is pulling the levers of power in society beyond what Tom Brokaw and Dan Rather had to say every evening.

I'm not sure how impressive/spooky some of this stuff will be to a kid holding an iPad almost 30 years later. That's not me saying it won't be -- I'm genuinely not sure.

I started the X-Files a couple months ago, but other things got in the way. Still planning to watch it all. So far it’s fun mostly, but already a couple of episodes are better than others (which I expected).

This is it, I think. The X-Files is born out of a lot of NWO / Area 51 / Oliver Stone's JFK / Coast to Coast with Art Bell conspiracy theory culture that came about in the 90s as technology was just on the cusp of becoming more broadly democratized and people were generally becoming more savvy about who is pulling the levers of power in society beyond what Tom Brokaw and Dan Rather had to say every evening.

I'm not sure how impressive/spooky some of this stuff will be to a kid holding an iPad almost 30 years later. That's not me saying it won't be -- I'm genuinely not sure.
I used to love listening to Art Bell. That was some crazy programming. I don’t know how he kept it together during some of his interviews.

Chiming in on the X Files discussion, my kids love scary creature feature stuff. I think it's half genetic (wife and I are both fans) and half FNAF/Poppy's Playtime/Other jumpscare games they see on youtube. My son watched on and off when we re-watched a few years back, but I think he was too young at the time (6-7) for it to really hold his attention, Teens and preteens would probably have a lot of fun, and that was around the age I first saw it myself. I think I was 10-11 but can't remember.

Back