Television

So I should be watching Euphoria?
Do you get any enjoyment out of teen drama? Then yea, probably

I am actually really enjoying it! Kendaya is really great. The music is awesome.

I do have one question. @wokeupnew - don't read this spoiler until you've started.

I've watched the 3rd episode. Does Rue know that Jules is a mtf transgendered person??? I'm confused about who knows or if it even matters.

Somehow, I was able to uncharacteristically exercise some willpower and only watch one episode. It was freaking terrific! I am very much looking forward to watching the rest! The mystery is intriguing! And I still adore the characters!
I am not sure why, but last night I was looking for a show to start and did not choose S4 of VM. Silly teeee. I think I'll undo that misguided decision tonight based on your enthusiasm. Which only adds to the chorus of positive reviews for this season.

I am not sure why, but last night I was looking for a show to start and did not choose S4 of VM. Silly teeee. I think I'll undo that misguided decision tonight based on your enthusiasm. Which only adds to the chorus of positive reviews for this season.
I'm on episode 5 and it's still just as great as the old ones. Plus, it has a snazzy new credit sequence with Chrissie Hynde covering the theme song and it seems like they have a bigger budget, better guest stars.

I'm on episode 5 and it's still just as great as the old ones. Plus, it has a snazzy new credit sequence with Chrissie Hynde covering the theme song and it seems like they have a bigger budget, better guest stars.

I’ve still only seen the one episode but I appreciated how it actually felt like new episodes and not just Fan Service Nostalgia like the movie did

(but note: I enjoyed the movie. How could I not? There was so much fan service! And nostalgia!)

I’ve still only seen the one episode but I appreciated how it actually felt like new episodes and not just Fan Service Nostalgia like the movie did

(but note: I enjoyed the movie. How could I not? There was so much fan service! And nostalgia!)
Totally agree, this feels more like a modernized version of the show and less like a nostalgia trip, even it still has plenty of callbacks and classic characters. I hope they get to make more seasons, I'll be done with this one before the end of the day.

Totally agree, this feels more like a modernized version of the show and less like a nostalgia trip, even it still has plenty of callbacks and classic characters. I hope they get to make more seasons, I'll be done with this one before the end of the day.

Would I still enjoy this new season if I've never really watched the show before?

Would I still enjoy this new season if I've never really watched the show before?

Maybe. It doesn’t seem to absolutely require prior knowledge of past seasons, and since there’s a time jump from the last time we’ve seen these cats, there’s some “introduction into present circumstances” stuff. You’ll definitely have a richer experience if you’ve seen prior seasons, though. They don’t take the time explaining who old characters are. But you can tell from context clues who are old friends and stuff.

But I defer to those who’ve caught more episodes than me

I think you could, but why deprive yourself of watching the old seasons? They're great and I don't think you would enjoy the new season if you don't like the old ones.

I think you could, but why deprive yourself of watching the old seasons? They're great and I don't think you would enjoy the new season if you don't like the old ones.

To be fair; I did try watching the original series when it was added to Amazon Prime a few years back and couldn't get into it, so maybe it wouldn't actually be for me.

Anybody watch the new Aziz Ansari special on Netflix? I saw that he had taken a little bit of heat in some early reviews for not addressing the accusations made against him to the reviewers' satisfaction, but I actually thought it was a fairly thoughtful hour. Most of it really is addressing how we deal with our problematic faves, including him. I thought he addressed it about as candidly as I could have expected while still making it a stand-up special, and without making the accusations the subject of the jokes themselves (aside from one kinda cringey moment in the first couple of minutes).

I was curious, because out of everybody who has been outed in the Me Too era, Aziz is one of the ones I was watching for the most, to see how and what he would do in the aftermath. I ended that special thinking that he *sounds like* he gets it, even if he's not discussing it publicly, in detail. Does he apologize or admit culpability? Not in the special. But he does talk a lot about reflecting on what kind of person he's been, and trying to do better. Of course, he centers himself in that, and not the person who made the accusations against him, but again, within the context of stand-up comedy I'm kind of relieved that the comments he did make weren't targeted at or about her in any way. It's not the right setting for that. I don't know; it's walking a very tricky tightrope, but I thought he did an okay job.

Anybody else? How did you feel about it?

Anybody watch the new Aziz Ansari special on Netflix? I saw that he had taken a little bit of heat in some early reviews for not addressing the accusations made against him to the reviewers' satisfaction, but I actually thought it was a fairly thoughtful hour. Most of it really is addressing how we deal with our problematic faves, including him. I thought he addressed it about as candidly as I could have expected while still making it a stand-up special, and without making the accusations the subject of the jokes themselves (aside from one kinda cringey moment in the first couple of minutes).

I was curious, because out of everybody who has been outed in the Me Too era, Aziz is one of the ones I was watching for the most, to see how and what he would do in the aftermath. I ended that special thinking that he *sounds like* he gets it, even if he's not discussing it publicly, in detail. Does he apologize or admit culpability? Not in the special. But he does talk a lot about reflecting on what kind of person he's been, and trying to do better. Of course, he centers himself in that, and not the person who made the accusations against him, but again, within the context of stand-up comedy I'm kind of relieved that the comments he did make weren't targeted at or about her in any way. It's not the right setting for that. I don't know; it's walking a very tricky tightrope, but I thought he did an okay job.

Anybody else? How did you feel about it?
I'll probably take a chance on this and watch more for the aspects that you summarized. I've never really clicked with his stand up persona but I did love watching Master of None (before all his indiscretions came to light). I think if I watched season 2 knowing what I know now I would have an entirely different opinion of his character's advances on a married woman.

I'll probably take a chance on this and watch more for the aspects that you summarized. I've never really clicked with his stand up persona but I did love watching Master of None (before all his indiscretions came to light). I think if I watched season 2 knowing what I know now I would have an entirely different opinion of his character's advances on a married woman.
The persona from previous specials is mostly gone, or at least subdued. In fact I think one of the most interesting elements is that he obliquely discusses his own issues by examining his past act’s reliance on other problematic artists for material.

Whether he’s really taken everything to heart, or staged the whole thing to feel stripped-down and raw to demonstrate the right amount of humility, it’s hard to say. I’m really interested to see whether others here think this is sincerity or not (also taking into consideration that this is within the context of a touring act, and that necessarily makes it a mix of sincerity, and acting sincere, to replicate the experience from night to night).

I’m rooting for him to figure out a way through this. I didn’t think the things he was accused of made him irredeemable on the level of people like Louie or Ryan Adams. He’s a test case for how a potential redemption can potentially play out, and how much of it has to occur in the public eye in order for us to accept it as valid.

The persona from previous specials is mostly gone, or at least subdued. In fact I think one of the most interesting elements is that he obliquely discusses his own issues by examining his past act’s reliance on other problematic artists for material.

Whether he’s really taken everything to heart, or staged the whole thing to feel stripped-down and raw to demonstrate the right amount of humility, it’s hard to say. I’m really interested to see whether others here think this is sincerity or not (also taking into consideration that this is within the context of a touring act, and that necessarily makes it a mix of sincerity, and acting sincere, to replicate the experience from night to night).

I’m rooting for him to figure out a way through this. I didn’t think the things he was accused of made him irredeemable on the level of people like Louie or Ryan Adams. He’s a test case for how a potential redemption can potentially play out, and how much of it has to occur in the public eye in order for us to accept it as valid.
That is the crux of every one of these public apologies of what I'll call the lower tier of accused Hollywood *predators* and their scripted public apologies which have been screened by a publicist, agent, and so on and so on and so forth. It's hard to believe someone has "healed" when their schtick, their meal ticket, and their private indiscretions are so intertwined.

*(I'm not sure predator is the right word but I'm at a lack of how to sum up all the character traits and situations that cause these people to act the way they do)

Back