Tape Heads - A discussion about machines that play Magnetic Tape.

LeeVing

It seemed like we needed a separate thread for tape gear discussion from the vintage or equipment recommendations thread.

Here we can talk just about machines that play magnetic tape or the tape we put into machines that play magnetic tape.

I am currently working on a Technics RS-M63.

It's not a high end machine, and seems like it could be easy to work on.

At first I thought it had a belt issue, but I took off all the panels and took a deeper look.

Seems to have a pinch roller issue. The pinch roller isn't fully engaging with the capstan.

You can play the videos below with audio to hear what is going on.

I have no real experience in fixing anything like this, so I'm mostly going in blind, but I have been watching a lot of various Youtube repair videos.

The working deck, JVC TD-W111 is doing great. I was going to put it next to my CD player on top of my stacked Kallaxes....Kalli?

It fits, but there wasn't enough clearance to put a tape in, so I had to move some Funkos and the Beatles set to make room for it and the CD player.

I know this deck isn't all that great. It's a cheap 2 head goodwill special, but I wanted something that worked. For a deck that had some work done, (belts changed, capacitors changed on the power board) I thought the $60 shipped was a decent price for a working deck.

20211029_114058 (2).jpg

20211029_114232.jpg

Back