Sutherland Club House

Tidying up loose ends here, turns out my system is, in fact, experiencing a continued issue with channel dropouts (I've spent like a year trying to figure out what's causing it to no avail) so the Sutherland isn't doing anything with respect to volume.

Tidying up loose ends here, turns out my system is, in fact, experiencing a continued issue with channel dropouts (I've spent like a year trying to figure out what's causing it to no avail) so the Sutherland isn't doing anything with respect to volume.
I mean, sorry to hear that, but I'm glad it's not a problem with your new Insight.

I mean, sorry to hear that, but I'm glad it's not a problem with your new Insight.
Yeah but it's frustrating as I've swapped everything I possibly can to try to figure out what's causing it. At this point I've tried everything I can and I suspect it's either something internal to my TT (e.g. tonearm wires, loose solder, etc) or some weird quirk of power in my apartment. Makes wanting to listen to my Insight a non-starter as I can't FULLY enjoy it. Very frustrating.

Yeah but it's frustrating as I've swapped everything I possibly can to try to figure out what's causing it. At this point I've tried everything I can and I suspect it's either something internal to my TT (e.g. tonearm wires, loose solder, etc) or some weird quirk of power in my apartment. Makes wanting to listen to my Insight a non-starter as I can't FULLY enjoy it. Very frustrating.
surely there's a shop in or near portland that does repairs on TTs? might be worth bringing it in to get it looked at? that kinda stuff drives me crazy. i've had a little hum in my system for over a year and tried just about everything to fix it. seems that my last resort is to replace a dimmer switch in the room below me that's on the same circuit for some reason...

you could also get a panamax with the voltage meter on it to monitor your power situation. i'm sure there's some easier/cheaper way to do that though...

surely there's a shop in or near portland that does repairs on TTs? might be worth bringing it in to get it looked at? that kinda stuff drives me crazy. i've had a little hum in my system for over a year and tried just about everything to fix it. seems that my last resort is to replace a dimmer switch in the room below me that's on the same circuit for some reason...

you could also get a panamax with the voltage meter on it to monitor your power situation. i'm sure there's some easier/cheaper way to do that though...
There is a shop but the table is still under warranty. I already sent in my prior and prior phono for warranty and they couldn’t replicate. I’ve swapped cables and carts. It occurred with a DAC and my TT. It’s incredibly frustrating because there’s no consistent way to replicate the problem.

There is a shop but the table is still under warranty. I already sent in my prior and prior phono for warranty and they couldn’t replicate. I’ve swapped cables and carts. It occurred with a DAC and my TT. It’s incredibly frustrating because there’s no consistent way to replicate the problem.
It's gotta be the amp or the speakers no? If it occurred across all those different systems?

I'd imagine so if the DAC also had the issue. or a power issue from the wall but not sure how that would cause channel dropouts...
Precisely. If it were power related you'd think it'd be all or nothing. I do tech support for a living and I can't figure it out.

It could very well be a power issue, @OMC gave a very viable option of how to check. Some of y’all remember that a grounding issue in my power box lead to an intermittent surging issue that paired with an air conditioner on its way took out a stove and was a bitch to figure out.

My very inexpensive furman power conditioner did its job and protected the hifi though.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have a power quality issue. No swapping of components can likely fix this unless you choose to regenerate the AC sine wave, which gets really expensive. If you live in a rental, the path toward fixing it has extra hurdles.

A very good electrician can diagnose the problem fully. Here’s how Fluke describes possible diagnostics.

I used an industrial example here because those electricians tend to be more familiar with power quality issues than strictly residential electricians. The problems have more expensive ramifications in industrial settings.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it sounds like you have a power quality issue. No swapping of components can likely fix this unless you choose to regenerate the AC sine wave, which gets really expensive. If you live in a rental, the path toward fixing it has extra hurdles.

A very good electrician can diagnose the problem fully. Here’s how Fluke describes possible diagnostics.

I used an industrial example here because those electricians tend to be more familiar with power quality issues than strictly residential electricians. The problems have more expensive ramifications in industrial settings.

Live in an apartment so sadly I have to lift with it.

I do plan to try another outlet just to see if I can isolate it to a bad outlet but that’s about all I can try

Live in an apartment so sadly I have to lift with it.

I do plan to try another outlet just to see if I can isolate it to a bad outlet but that’s about all I can try
Good call. If it works, there is no cheaper solution. That's what worked for my ground loop problem, for the cost of an extension cord.

Back