Stubborn dust on stylus?

dbarila

I had this problem before but the thread exists no longer so I can't go back and read suggestions. It seems my stylus just collects a ridiculous amount of stubborn dust on the end that no matter how much I brush or use a Onzow it doesn't seem to come off. Every now and then I literally have to stake the stylus off of the cartridge and remove it by and (I know...cringe!). I clean all my records with the TTVJ gold and my Squeaky Clean RCM. I take the dust cover off when I'm playing records but it's on at all times otherwise.

I suppose my biggest concern is that something is set up incorrectly and I'm damaging records. When the stylus is clear it sounds fine but when it starts to build back up everything sounds distorted. My alignment SEEMS to be in alignment and my tracking force is correct. Any suggestions?

I have the same problem with my current set up. I'm unable to leave the dust cover on while playing because I can't open the lid at my turntables current position. I have to remove the lid to have access to place records on.

Using the zero dust takes everything the tip of the stylus. However, a little bit further up there is always a persistent fuzzball.

I have no issues with distortion if I use the zerodust every time I place a record on or flip it. Only if I play like 6 or more records in a row without cleaning it. Which I never do anymore.

My apartment has a lot of dust. Lot's of carpeting and the HVAC cotes my shelves and equipment in a layer of dust in a day or two. I swiffer it like 3 times a week, but it really needs it every day to be honest.

Are there any tips to cleaning that stubborn dust that the zero dust doesn't pull off?

Depending on what type of cartridge you have, a liquid stylus cleaner may be beneficial.

Do not use liquids with Ortofon cartridges. They expressly forbid it. I've also seen the diamond detach from the cantilever numerous times and in each instance, it was an Ortofon.

You may find the Magic Eraser method helpful. It's inexpensive enough to give it a shot.

IME, the Onzow is much better than the Magic Eraser at removing debris from the stylus, but the only real way to get actual "gunk" off is to give it a hit with a stiff dry brush or a wet clean. As stated above make sure your cart manufacturer is ok with wet cleaning (Ortofon recommends only brushing). You shouldn't need to wet clean your stylus that often, only when you see the build up like you have now, or every so often to mitigate any you can't see with the naked eye.

That's how to treat the symptom, but the real problem that will cause of this build up in gunk is likely a poor cleaning process, especially with an enzyme cleaner like TTVJ. I've been there before myself, where the stylus will just dig up all the crap that the enzyme formula has freed up, along with the enzyme formula you've left behind. The finer the stylus profile, the more this will happen. I'd recommend taking a hard look at your cleaning process. You may want to implement a rinsing stage with distilled water, or a mild one-step cleaner like the Record Doctor or AI #6. Personally, I've just moved away from enzyme cleaners as most of the records I buy aren't that filthy to begin with.

IME, the Onzow is much better than the Magic Eraser at removing debris from the stylus, but the only real way to get actual "gunk" off is to give it a hit with a stiff dry brush or a wet clean. As stated above make sure your cart manufacturer is ok with wet cleaning (Ortofon recommends only brushing). You shouldn't need to wet clean your stylus that often, only when you see the build up like you have now, or every so often to mitigate any you can't see with the naked eye.

That's how to treat the symptom, but the real problem that will cause of this build up in gunk is likely a poor cleaning process, especially with an enzyme cleaner like TTVJ. I've been there before myself, where the stylus will just dig up all the crap that the enzyme formula has freed up, along with the enzyme formula you've left behind. The finer the stylus profile, the more this will happen. I'd recommend taking a hard look at your cleaning process. You may want to implement a rinsing stage with distilled water, or a mild one-step cleaner like the Record Doctor or AI #6. Personally, I've just moved away from enzyme cleaners as most of the records I buy aren't that filthy to begin with.
Most of what I'm cleaning is newer records. What's the Record Doctor one step cleaner? I started using TTVJ to try and avoid a rinse stage.

Most of what I'm cleaning is newer records. What's the Record Doctor one step cleaner? I started using TTVJ to try and avoid a rinse stage.

You could also do TTVJ regular strength. But another trying a rinse/vac step to ensure all the gunk is removed from the grooves isn't a bad idea.

I'm still putting my bet on pet dander. Lots of us here swear by TTVJ. I'm

Record Doctor makes a weak cleaner with surfactant, much like AI #6. Either may be good for a rinse stage but distilled water is cheaper and easier, so best to start there. Honestly, just my opinion, but I don't think you really need a full strength enzyme cleaner for most new purchases, and improperly using one can sometimes introduce more residue than there was debris to remove. I know TTVJ claims their solutions are one-step, but I've heard several similar complaints to yours about residue on other forums, and FWIW, many manufactures of enzyme cleaner do recommend a rinse. If you're not keen on rinsing it could be that the solution is sitting for too long, or that your RCM isn't removing enough of the solution.

I agree with @HiFi Guy that pet dander is a PITA and could likely be a casue as well with an open dust cover. I think the easiest way to parse out which is causing it, would be to look at how fast the build up occurs. If you're getting it after spinning just one side, it's likely the record cleaning process.

Last edited:
Would spinning with my dust cover on help if it was pet dander?

I'll trying doing a rinse again and see if that helps.

Would spinning with my dust cover on help if it was pet dander?

I'll trying doing a rinse again and see if that helps.

For sure! IME the dust cover stops light dust from attracting to the play surface. Sure there's vibration and static issues etc etc, but if you are in a high dander/dust environment, I would use it.

I think trying a rise and shutting the dust cover should be good. Spin some records you've cleaned the old way with the dust cover shut and see if the accumulation still occurs. If so, it would likely be the cleaning process that's causing your gunk.

@RenegadeMonster just curious since we have similar issues what is your cleaning technique?

I played a PIF record from a member that cleaned with TTVJ in their VPI and not a single spec of dust on the stylus so I'm leaning towards something in my cleaning routine. Maybe the Squeaky Clean isn't powerful enough to remove everything the TTVJ picks up?

@RenegadeMonster just curious since we have similar issues what is your cleaning technique?

I played a PIF record from a member that cleaned with TTVJ in their VPI and not a single spec of dust on the stylus so I'm leaning towards something in my cleaning routine. Maybe the Squeaky Clean isn't powerful enough to remove everything the TTVJ picks up?

I spin clean any record that I get used or that came in paper sleeves that leave lint. Then place them in Original Master sleeves. I always brush the record before and after playing. I also use the Zerodust each time I flip. By doing this the records always come out of the sleeves dust free.

The issue I have is dust floats in the air, and settles on the record while it's spinning when the dust cover is not pressent. There is only minor dust on the record surface after a spin, but it's enough to create a fuzzy on the needle. I think it attracts the dust.

Back