Started hearing an electronic hum in my system

dbarila

So, I know this is a subject that has been discussed before and I read through some other resources but figured it might be more helpful to troubleshoot my specific system. In the past few weeks I've noticed an electronic hum in my system. It's starting to become noticeable during quiet passages of records. I hear it mostly through the subwoofer but can also hear it through both speakers. Current setup is...

U-Turn Orbit > Schiit Mani > Onkyo TX-8020 > Elac B6 > Polk Audio Subwoofer

Any initial thoughts? I know it sounds like a grounding issue but there's no ground wire on the Orbit.

Four things I would try:

1) connect a grounding wire, from a screw on the Orbit to either the grounding anchor on your amp or any metal on your amp.
2) loose wires in your cart's connection can cause this as well, so check to be sure all the cart connections are secure.
3) This one is crazy, but if your turntable's power plug doesn't have one prong larger than the other, try rotating the plug 180 degrees in the outlet.
4) Check all your speaker/subwoofer connections to be sure they are secure.

Other than that, have you added anything to the system recently, or anything electrical to the area housing your system, that might be causing interference?

I would start by the process of elimination

Remove the Mani from the system and use test the Onkyo phono input

As Russ mentioned have your changed your cart recently ? Check and carefully make sure your wires are secure

Do you have backup table or another table you borrow to see if the problem persists ?

So, I know this is a subject that has been discussed before and I read through some other resources but figured it might be more helpful to troubleshoot my specific system. In the past few weeks I've noticed an electronic hum in my system. It's starting to become noticeable during quiet passages of records. I hear it mostly through the subwoofer but can also hear it through both speakers. Current setup is...

U-Turn Orbit > Schiit Mani > Onkyo TX-8020 > Elac B6 > Polk Audio Subwoofer

Any initial thoughts? I know it sounds like a grounding issue but there's no ground wire on the Orbit.

Have a look at the grounding issues vid here. I know it’s for a rega but they similarly ground through the left RCA so the same principles apply.

Ok I've determined that it only disappears when the turntable is disconnected. So does this mean I should try grounding the turntable to the grounding post on the Mani?

I didn't change carts recently and the wires seem secure.

Ok I've determined that it only disappears when the turntable is disconnected. So does this mean I should try grounding the turntable to the grounding post on the Mani?

I didn't change carts recently and the wires seem secure.
Certainly worth a try.

Do I need a certain wire for grounding? And what's the best place to attach it on the U-Turn?
Any wire should do, like one side of a spare length of speaker wire. Not sure about the U-Turn's construction, but a chassis screw should do it.

If this persisits I think I remember this problem from others with Orbit's in the past, It may also be worth checking in with Uturn tech just to see what they say as well.

Did you make sure the issue was not the Mani by trying the Onkyo's phono ?

Last edited:
I this persisits I think I remember this problem from others with Orbit's in the past, It may also be worth checking in with Uturn tech just to see what they say as well.

Did you make sure the issue was not the Mani by trying the Onkyo's phono ?
Yep. It was still there. I also still heard it when I was auditioning the Darlington MM-6.

Got a piece of speaker wire cut but still not exactly sure where to attach it to the UTurn.

Also, I ran the ground from the pre amp to the Onkyo and it did nothing. Also tried a different power strip and it did nothing.

@dbarila what interconnects do you have from the Orbit to the Mani? I had hum in my system but upgrading to more shielded cables helped. You could try swapping cables around in your system to see if that makes a difference.

It's just the basic ones that it came with so maybe this is worth a try as well.
This solved it for my orbit when I had hum. Does moving the interconnects make any difference? Another thing to check is does the hum go away if you lightly, carefully touch the tonearm on the metal. If so this indicates the internal grounding is working.

It's just the basic ones that it came with so maybe this is worth a try as well.

Watch the video in the link i posted above. It shows you how to attach a ground wire to a turntable that grounds through the left RCA.

Watch the video in the link i posted above. It shows you how to attach a ground wire to a turntable that grounds through the left RCA.
I actually tried that too. Wrapped the speaker wire around the white cable and attached it to the ground post on the Mani. Do I also need to run another ground from the Mani to the Onkyo?

I'm using one half of a 14 gauge speaker wire.

I actually tried that too. Wrapped the speaker wire around the white cable and attached it to the ground post on the Mani. Do I also need to run another ground from the Mani to the Onkyo?

I'm using one half of a 14 gauge speaker wire.
No, just the one should do it if that’s the problem.

I guess I'll wait until new RCA cables arrive to see if that fixes it. It's only really a problem if I'm listening to a really quiet record.

Back