Some kind of streaming thing?

juiceless

Hey dudes.

I used to run an optical cable from my PC to my stereo for music playing purposes. In my new place, my PC and my stereo are in different rooms. I want to be able to play streamed tunes (Apple Music, mostly) through my stereo. Preferably with voice control (Siri preferred). Any handy gadget I can plug into my system that will handle all that stuff?

Thanks and I love you,

Juiceless

Hey dudes.

I used to run an optical cable from my PC to my stereo for music playing purposes. In my new place, my PC and my stereo are in different rooms. I want to be able to play streamed tunes (Apple Music, mostly) through my stereo. Preferably with voice control (Siri preferred). Any handy gadget I can plug into my system that will handle all that stuff?

Thanks and I love you,

Juiceless

How important is the voice control to you? The echo dot has an audio out on it but it’s not the greatest SQ. but if you want voice control I can’t think of any of the more hifi options that have it.

How important is the voice control to you? The echo dot has an audio out on it but it’s not the greatest SQ. but if you want voice control I can’t think of any of the more hifi options that have it.
Could potentially live without. Streaming is the key.

Hey dudes.

Thanks and I love you,

Juiceless

How much are you willing to shell out?

Could potentially live without. Streaming is the key.

Without it there are loads of options.You just control from the phone app. I personally love the DIY raspbeery pi\HiFiBerry DAC hat ones. ive had a few of them down the years and around €100 there’s nothing I’ve come across that touches them.

Wouldn't Sonos do the trick?

not the voice control. That’s only on the Sonos one speaker which is a speaker rather a thing you plug into your hifi. The port does that (minus the voice control) but it’s well overpriced, you can do much better for much less. I’d only consider it if I was wanting to stream my tt to other Sonos speakers in another room and I can’t ever see myself wanting to do that,

Without it there are loads of options.You just control from the phone app. I personally love the DIY raspbeery pi\HiFiBerry DAC hat ones. ive had a few of them down the years and around €100 there’s nothing I’ve come across that touches them.
Oh shit, I never even thought of a raspberry pi. That's a great idea! Any reco's for software/setup to drive it?

Sonos Port (which I use) works great, but doesn't support high-resolution audio, if that matters.

You can also shell out a little bit more for a Bluesound Node 2i, which seems to be very well regarded.
I was looking at the Port because I have a playbar on my tv. $499 is so hard to swallow for what it delivers, tho...

sorry! I prefer the sound off my diy pi & hat to the old connect and it was just a fraction of the cost. granted there are other reasons that you’d pick the Sonos, such as the multi room and ecosystem.

Oh shit, I never even thought of a raspberry pi. That's a great idea! Any reco's for software/setup to drive it?

the dac is a bit shit onboard the pi so I use one of these Hat boards to do that. The company has their own pi os on the website that you can configure to do Spotify connect/airplay/roon and a few other services too.

Last edited:
sorry! I prefer the sound off my diy pi & hat to the old connect and it was just a fraction of the cost. granted there are other reasons that you’d pick the Sonos, such as the multi room and ecosystem.

Oh, I absolutely believe it. If I had been more patient I probably would have done something like that.

Maybe I will experiment with it later.

Do you know if it covers quboz?

So their software doesn’t natively. As it is a Roon endpoint qobuz works for me because I’m doing it through Roon. You could of course use AirPlay but then you are limiting yourself to 16/44. Their hats can be used with other third party software. I’ve used volumio in the past and it’s excellent and it supports qobuz, but only behind a paywall. It does Spotify connect and airplay for free. There are plenty of other software options for the pi and dac hats too out there, I just haven’t investigated them!

So their software doesn’t natively. As a Roon endpoint qobuz works for me because I’m doing it through Roon. Their hat can be used with other third party software. I’ve used volumio in the past and it’s excellent and it supports qobuz, but only behind a paywall. It does Spotify connect and airplay for free.
Thanks! I’d utilise AirPlay for Apple Music but interested in native quboz for the hi-res. Will do some reading!

Thanks! I’d utilise AirPlay for Apple Music but interested in native quboz for the hi-res. Will do some reading!

Yeah the hi res qobuz sounds excellent on mine through Roon, very happy with it. If you’re not matching qobuz with a decent sized file library though Roon is major overkill.

Back