Skipping?

sarcasticfairyprincess

Ever since I moved into my apartment, I've been having an issue where almost all of my records skip. It only happens when I step in certain spots. I'm almost wondering if it's a loose floorboard that's coming up when I step on it, and hitting the piece of furniture that my turntable is on. This never happened in my old house. If I walk really, really gently, it won't happen, but when I have guests over they don't pay attention and it skips. Hell, even my cats can make it skip. Unfortunately I can't move it to another location, due to size and lack of objects I canbpht my turntable on. Does anyone have any suggestions of anything I can do?

Figure out a way to isolate your setup, whether it's the whole turntable or putting special feet on it. The other choice would be to absolutely weigh down the furniture it's on. That would be my best guess.

I'd try to make it skip so you can figure out what does it. Sounds like a loose floor board or some other flooring issue, but hard to diagnose on the internet.

Figure out a way to isolate your setup, whether it's the whole turntable or putting special feet on it. The other choice would be to absolutely weigh down the furniture it's on. That would be my best guess.

I'd try to make it skip so you can figure out what does it. Sounds like a loose floor board or some other flooring issue, but hard to diagnose on the internet.
It's on top of a Walmart version of the IKEA Kallax, which is loaded by records. The shelving itself is about 70lbs, plus a shit ton of records. I'd say it's pretty weighed down. How would I weigh down the record player itself, if that's what you meant?

It's on top of a Walmart version of the IKEA Kallax, which is loaded by records. The shelving itself is about 70lbs, plus a shit ton of records. I'd say it's pretty weighed down. How would I weigh down the record player itself, if that's what you meant?
I meant to weigh down the shelf so it wouldn't move, you may need to isolate the player since the skips are probably from vibrations.

Does the record stand tilt at all if you push on it? If so, put something under the unstable corner.

Considering the stand sounds pretty heavy, this is weird.

I'll mention some obvious things you probably already checked, just to rule them out:
-Did you double-check the tracking weight on your cartridge? Just in case it's too light.
-The turntable is level?

I don't have experience with isolating feet for turntables, but this may be something to look into. Maybe someone could chime in.

Back