Skipping on Pro-ject Debut Carbon

heynongman

I'm at the end of my rope with my Debut Carbon. I purchased it in late-2014, and it's seen fairly regular use. Nothing I would call too crazy.

For the last week, 75% of my albums are skipping at the BEGINNING of the albums only. This has all been new vinyl, just opened and wiped down before use. I have taken the following steps to try and remedy this:

- Re-do tone arm counterweight
- Re-do anti-skate
- Ensure that the machine is level
- Wiggle tone arm lift to try and reset "memory"
- Clean stylus with Ortofon provided brush

To no avail. I purchased a new Ortofon 2M cartridge about 2 months ago, and it's worked great. The skipping is driving me crazy. Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

Update - I switched back to my original stylus to see if that was the issue. It was not. I'm going crazy.

Mods - if this should go somewhere else, please let me know.

I'm at the end of my rope with my Debut Carbon. I purchased it in late-2014, and it's seen fairly regular use. Nothing I would call too crazy.

For the last week, 75% of my albums are skipping at the BEGINNING of the albums only. This has all been new vinyl, just opened and wiped down before use. I have taken the following steps to try and remedy this:

- Re-do tone arm counterweight
- Re-do anti-skate
- Ensure that the machine is level
- Wiggle tone arm lift to try and reset "memory"
- Clean stylus with Ortofon provided brush

To no avail. I purchased a new Ortofon 2M cartridge about 2 months ago, and it's worked great. The skipping is driving me crazy. Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

When you adjust the VTF are you using a scale?

To review, it worked fine for half a decade, you replaced the cartridge (the entire thing, not just the stylus?), it worked OK for a few days and now every record skips, just at the beginning? Do they skip forward or backwards? How does the tonearm bearing feel?

Back