Shure Stylus Force Gauge Question

JohnnyCashFan

I have my old man's Shure Stylus Force Gauge. Anyone else using this ? If so, when you set up tracking force do you use it on the bare platter, use it on your mat, use it on a beater record on your mat ? Or should it not matter ? Just wanted to check. Tx

photo added for reference
index.jpg

Last edited:
The Shure is an analog gauge. I've got one! It works well, but the digital is certainly easier.
My bad, missed the "guide"/guage part and assumed we were talking about setting the tracking force of a Shure cart on a scale........I'm noticing a little COVID haze still effecting me as of late, lol

It takes a few try's to get used to but works once you develop a system (like putting a turntable belt back on). People used this one for many years before the made china digital crap. Plus I got it hand me down in box of old stuff from the old man.

Last edited:
It takes a few try's to get used to but works once you develop a system (like putting a turntable belt back on). People used this one for many years before the made china digital crap. Plus I got it hand me down in box of old stuff from the old man.

Yeah, it works pretty well. I've had one for years, then bought a digital scale that crapped out after a while, so now I'm back to analog. I've never thought to add a record so always have just put it on the mat. I can't imagine it could make much difference, plus the balancing point of the scale is raised a bit off the surface it's on, so maybe that's supposed to account for the record (meaning it's setting the weight for where the stylus will hit the vinyl)?

Back