Sexy M.F.'ers...The Prince Fan Thread

I can't wait to listen - it's a top 5 Prince album for me
I’m really not that big of a fan of it. It’s mostly Tony M’s fault, he brings the whole thing down, especially because he is on so much of it. There are some absolutely killer songs though… Thunder is a top ten Prince song for me. But this master is something else.

It’s mostly Tony M’s fault, he brings the whole thing down, especially because he is on so much of it.

I love it in spite of Tony M, but every word of what you say is true. "Thunder" is absolutely essential for sure, and I have an incredibly huge soft spot for "Strollin'"

Looking forward to getting a copy of this!

I’ve got some surface noise but it may be because I need to give these new spin clean cloths another wash. Been getting fuzz since I started using them.

Courtesy of Dr. Funkenberry on Facebook:
The Vault...Old Friends For Sale will officially be released on VINYL for the first time on Feb. 23rd. It should retail at Target for $19.99-$26.99 & is also showing for preorder on Amazon for $26.00. An EXACT copy of this showed up on eBay last month sold for over $250.00.

View attachment 192840
How are folks getting these so early when you say an EXACT copy. The same thing happened with the D&P releases where someone on eBay was selling copies months before the actual release (we talked about it upstream in this thread).

Also who is paying $250 for this? Because if I saw this on eBay my thought process is one of two things:
1) It's a bootleg (if there has been no communication of an official release); in which case, why am I going to pay so much for something of questionable provenance and quality?
OR
2) It is someone selling a legit item earlier than they should (however they got it), but it will surely be a reasonable price down the road. Is the motivation for buyers just to have something way earlier than everyone else? In which case, while this is a fine listen (I have the CD), it is far from essential.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something?

How are folks getting these so early when you say an EXACT copy. The same thing happened with the D&P releases where someone on eBay was selling copies months before the actual release (we talked about it upstream in this thread).

Also who is paying $250 for this? Because if I saw this on eBay my thought process is one of two things:
1) It's a bootleg (if there has been no communication of an official release); in which case, why am I going to pay so much for something of questionable provenance and quality?
OR
2) It is someone selling a legit item earlier than they should (however they got it), but it will surely be a reasonable price down the road. Is the motivation for buyers just to have something way earlier than everyone else? In which case, while this is a fine listen (I have the CD), it is far from essential.

It's Prince fans. Been this way for years. Logic need not apply.

OR

People get copies for various reasons before things are released all the time. Some Prince boots through the years have been because of this happening. People know that Prince fans are a little fanatical and will sell these things and folks will pay crazy prices to have something no one else has even if it’s for a month or two before everyone else.

People get copies for various reasons before things are released all the time. Some Prince boots through the years have been because of this happening. People know that Prince fans are a little fanatical and will sell these things and folks will pay crazy prices to have something no one else has even if it’s for a month or two before everyone else.
I am still wondering what's happened to the Third Man release of "Camille".
The Vault Old Frienda 4 Sale LP is mediocre, best tracks are '5 Women' and 'This is Lonely', it has a short run time and was a contract fulfillment release. Missed opportunity by the Estate to add more Vault tracks and make it a bit more interesting.

I am still wondering what's happened to the Third Man release of "Camille".
The Vault Old Frienda 4 Sale LP is mediocre, best tracks are '5 Women' and 'This is Lonely', it has a short run time and was a contract fulfillment release. Missed opportunity by the Estate to add more Vault tracks and make it a bit more interesting.
The estate is a mess. They are suing each other now. I expect this year to be quiet.

The estate is a mess. They are suing each other now. I expect this year to be quiet.
Too many heirs with zero business experience all wanting money for lavish spending who can't agree, further exacerbated by half siding with Primary Wave and another half siding with Londell McMillian. Excellent recipe for a total purple mess. 6 years of legal infighting already. Sad.

Back