Seeking New Headphones - Please Recommend

TheLoopDigga

Hello there friends,

I haven't bought new headphones in maybe ~7 years and my everyday pair is finally starting to wear down. I have the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 and have lost audio in one side and the pads themselves definitely need replacement. Instead of paying to fix them up I think it's about time to just upgrade and get a new pair altogether.

I'm looking for something I can use daily, travel with and don't have sound leakage for use in public. Probably in the $200-$400 range? I really don't know much about equipment until it's time to buy it and do all the research but I'm hoping you guys can expedite the process and lead me in the right direction. Any and all help would be appreciated :)

I love my Meze Audio Classic 99. They're closed back, easy to power, non-fatiguing sound signature. Just an all around great pair.

Agreed, I have these and they're wonderful, I just don't know if I'd were them out and about, which is why I recommended the Neos ;)

Meze_Brainwavz_PO.jpg

I'm not a headphone guy, but another site I visit does a lot of testing and measurement of headphones. Here are recommended examples at the top (a bit over) and bottom of your price range.

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT - $500

AKG K371 - $150

The Drop + Meze 99 Noir was recommended only when using EQ - $200

Headphone review index

I find ASR a useful resource, but also more than a bit of a buzzkill. Purity uber alles.

Lots of people arguing about numbers that I’m not quite sure they understand, at best sketchy scientific method and not a even the slightest semblance of a discussion about what the bloody thing sounds like! Worse than Hoffman the forums but not quite as bad as Hoffman the person…

Not trying to convert anyone to ASR - just citing the reviews as reference. I do find the testing methodologies to be coherent, but that doesn't always tell you everything you want to know.
I definitely appreciate the consistent methodology and I think the information is useful. It’s more the cult of ‘only measurements matter’ types that I find a bit obnoxious.

Of course, I also hate audiophile snake oil.

I guess I’m a moderate at heart.

Agreed, I have these and they're wonderful, I just don't know if I'd were them out and about, which is why I recommended the Neos ;)

View attachment 136310
I love my Meze 99’s paired with the ifi hipdac 2. A solid combo for not much £. You’d struggle to beat them I think without coughing up a fair chunk more. However the styling is traditional so I’d understand those who want something more modern!

I’ll pitch for the Sony noise cancellation ones - the WHM 1000-4 (or whatever they are called). I have the older version and I love them. You have the option of Bluetooth or cable, and the noise cancelling is great.

I'm reviving this thread to ask for recommendations rather than create a new thread.

I'm looking for on ear or over ear headphones that I can wear for several hours a day.

My biggest obstacles are:
  • Ideal for glasses and does not press the frames into my head. I tried a pair of Seinnhieser closed back headphones a couple of years ago but they eventually caused pressure against my glasses and I had to return them.
  • Needs to have some kind of microphone, either inline on the cord or built in in the ear unit. Doesn't need to be amazing quality. I'm looking for something that I can wear all day for work without having to swap earbuds with a headset for meetings and whatnot.
  • When using the microphone I don't want to sound underwater or like I'm wearing earplugs.

I bought a pair of Koss Porta Pro headphones (see below) based on a few online recommendations for glasses wearers. They're okay. I like how glasses fit through them, I don't think they'll become uncomfortable. However, the headband doesn't stay adjusted and it uses two metal bands that adjust which can cause hair to get stuck inside them which is super annoying. They were only $45 which is not a huge deal if they end up not working for me.

71xdae1dOCL.jpg

Ideally not looking to spend a ton, but if you area glasses wearer who has an over-ear or on-ear headphone you really like, please let me know!

I'm reviving this thread to ask for recommendations rather than create a new thread.

I'm looking for on ear or over ear headphones that I can wear for several hours a day.

• Ideal for glasses and does not press the frames into my head. I tried a pair of Seinnhieser closed back headphones a couple of years ago but they eventually caused pressure against my glasses and I had to return them.
  • Needs to have some kind of microphone, either inline on the cord or built in in the ear unit. Doesn't need to be amazing quality. I'm looking for something that I can wear all day for work without having to swap earbuds with a headset for meetings and whatnot.
  • When using the microphone I don't want to sound underwater or like I'm wearing earplugs.

I bought a pair of Koss Porta Pro headphones (see below) based on a few online recommendations for glasses wearers. They're okay. I like how glasses fit through them, I don't think they'll become uncomfortable. However, the headband doesn't stay adjusted and it uses two metal bands that adjust which can cause hair to get stuck inside them which is super annoying. They were only $45 which is not a huge deal if they end up not working for me.

71xdae1dOCL.jpg

Ideally not looking to spend a ton, but if you area glasses wearer who has an over-ear or on-ear headphone you really like, please let me know!
I've got a pair of these that would seem to fit the bill if you can find them. I find them very comfortable and, as a glasses wearer, haven't even ever thought that could be a problem with these phones.

SLAEWII_CC_023_RGB

I don’t find my glasses to be an issue with the Px7s. That being said I don’t think I have ever used any type of headphone or iem for more than like two hours.

I think Meze might be worth looking at, people say there is zero clamp feel on them.

From a comfort perspective the Meze 99 are hard to beat.

71xdae1dOCL.jpg

What‘s your budget? What’s your main priority? Music sound quality or utility?

Meze 99 are hard to beat from a comfort perspective. Sony, Bose, and Apple all have very good over the ear headphones that have microphones for calls.

Last edited:
From a comfort perspective the Meze 99 are head to beat.

What‘s your budget? What’s your main priority? Music sound quality or utility?

Meze 99 are hard to beat from a comfort perspective. Sony, Bose, and Apple all have very good over the ear headphones that have microphones for calls.
Mainly just for everyday listening from a computer. However, the ones I bought, Koss Porta Pros, were still causing ear pain without being fully over my left ear which leads me to believe the culprit is my current pair of glasses. I think I’ll put my search on hold until I get new glasses later in the year. I only got this pair last year but I really don’t like them too much.

Mainly just for everyday listening from a computer. However, the ones I bought, Koss Porta Pros, were still causing ear pain without being fully over my left ear which leads me to believe the culprit is my current pair of glasses. I think I’ll put my search on hold until I get new glasses later in the year. I only got this pair last year but I really don’t like them too much.
Personally I find ear buds to be the most comfortable to use during the work day. I use the Apple AirPods Pro 2 and think they’re fantastic for casual listening and phone calls.

I’ve also used Jabra, Samsung, and Soundcore earbuds and found them to be very good as well.

All of these earbuds are comfortable to me to wear for hours at a time and have no issues with my glasses.

Back