Rum

Man errbody hating on rum.

Best drink of my life was probably a pina colada I had made in a hollowed out pineapple on a beach in Puerto Rico. Not "technically" the best, but just an unbeatable experience.

Favorite sipping rums?

I buy my dad a different bottle every Xmas and the last couple years have bought some from Foursquare which have been excellent.

Otherwise, I tend to return to these. Affordable and reliable.

Flor De Cana 12 (12 yo Nicaragua)
El Dorado 15 (15 yo Demerara rum, Guyana)

Otherwise, I tend to return to these. Affordable and reliable.

Flor De Cana 12 (12 yo Nicaragua)
El Dorado 15 (15 yo Demerara rum, Guyana)
I really enjoy the 12 and 18 Flor De Caña and drank a lot when I was in Nicaragua. Their white rum is my go to for cocktails. I also usually use El Dorado 8 for cocktails when dark is called for. I'll have to try the 15 and that Diplomatico. Thanks for the recs!

I really enjoy the 12 and 18 Flor De Caña and drank a lot when I was in Nicaragua. Their white rum is my go to for cocktails. I also usually use El Dorado 8 for cocktails when dark is called for. I'll have to try the 15 and that Diplomatico. Thanks for the recs!

Just pour myself a glass of Flor de Cana 12.... 🍻

I used to make an Old Fashioned riff with Flor de Cana 12.

This is my own recipe:
Muddle sugar cube with a bar spoon of water and 7-10 drops Elemakule bitters, add 2 oz Flor de Cana 12y Rum and an orange peel. I often used a large ice cube as well, but that's optional.

You can swap the Elemakule bitters for 2 dashes of Angostura orange bitters. Not the same, but still good.

I used to make an Old Fashioned riff with Flor de Cana 12.

This is my own recipe:
Muddle sugar cube with a bar spoon of water and 7-10 drops Elemakule bitters, add 2 oz Flor de Cana 12y Rum and an orange peel. I often used a large ice cube as well, but that's optional.

You can swap the Elemakule bitters for Angostura orange bitters. Not the same, but still good.

Try that rum with a bar spoon of sweet vermouth and a bar spoon of honey syrup. Chuck in a rock of ice and give it a stir and then squeeze an orange peel over it.

Try that rum with a bar spoon of sweet vermouth and a bar spoon of honey syrup. Chuck in a rock of ice and give it a stir and then squeeze an orange peel over it.

Honey syrup is 1:1 honey to water, right? This gives me a good reason to open one of the bottles of sweet vermouth I have in storage (though that also means I'll have to start making manhattans more regularly).

I have bottles of Cocchi, Antica Formula and Carprano Classico in the pantry.... which should I open?

I'm leaning towards the Antica Formula because the bottle is small....

I have bottles of Cocchi, Antica Formula and Carprano Classico in the pantry.... which should I open?

I'm leaning towards the Antica Formula because the bottle is small....

haha go with the small one so it doesn't take up too much space in the fridge.

haha go with the small one so it doesn't take up too much space in the fridge.

Full disclosure: I cut back on my drinking a ton to keep my blood glucose levels down and stay off meds. Still have a bunch of unopened stuff lying around from a few years ago though. Now, it's more something to treat myself with every few weekends.

Back