Right channel keeps dropping in volume?

dbarila

I've noticed lately I'll be listening to a record and the volume will just drop in the right channel so the sound all sounds like it's coming from the left channel. If I listen closely to the right speaker it's still playing sound just not nearly as loud. There doesn't seem to be anything specific I do that makes it go away or come back. I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting. All of the cables seem secure to all components. Any ideas on some common issues I could be checking? I don't have any backup equipment to hook up and see if that works any better.

I've noticed lately I'll be listening to a record and the volume will just drop in the right channel so the sound all sounds like it's coming from the left channel. If I listen closely to the right speaker it's still playing sound just not nearly as loud. There doesn't seem to be anything specific I do that makes it go away or come back. I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting. All of the cables seem secure to all components. Any ideas on some common issues I could be checking? I don't have any backup equipment to hook up and see if that works any better.
Start simple, swap the speaker cables and see if the problem is reversed or not to rule out an issue with your speaker ;)

Start simple, swap the speaker cables and see if the problem is reversed or not to rule out an issue with your speaker ;)
Actually speakers are the one thing I've ruled out so far because when I plug headphones into my amp it still sounds panned.

I unplugged and plugged back in all of the RCA cables and so far it seems to be behaving. I'm done listening for the night but will try it again tomorrow.

What amp are you using? In my experience, this is pretty common with vintage gear and usually can be cleared up by treating all the pots and switches with deoxit. If it's a newer amp, I have no idea what might be going on. But you also should check to see whether this happens with all your inputs. Is it just a turntable-related problem, for example? If so, could be cartridge connections. If it's across-the-board (phono, aux, tuner, etc.), then you're back to the amp.

What amp are you using? In my experience, this is pretty common with vintage gear and usually can be cleared up by treating all the pots and switches with deoxit. If it's a newer amp, I have no idea what might be going on. But you also should check to see whether this happens with all your inputs. Is it just a turntable-related problem, for example? If so, could be cartridge connections. If it's across-the-board (phono, aux, tuner, etc.), then you're back to the amp.
Its an Onkyo TX-8020.

Its an Onkyo TX-8020.
Here are your troubleshooting steps:

Does the issue happen on all sources? CD? FM? Then the problem could be amp or speaker, but more likely amp.

To confirm, swap your speaker connectors at the amplifier. If the issue switches channels, it’s the amplifier. If the problem stays on the same channel, it’s the speaker.

If the issue is turntable only, swap your left/right RCAs at the amplifier. If the problem stays on the same channel , it’s the Onkyo. If the problem swaps channels, it’s a faulty cartridge.

Here are your troubleshooting steps:

Does the issue happen on all sources? CD? FM? Then the problem could be amp or speaker, but more likely amp.

To confirm, swap your speaker connectors at the amplifier. If the issue switches channels, it’s the amplifier. If the problem stays on the same channel, it’s the speaker.

If the issue is turntable only, swap your left/right RCAs at the amplifier. If the problem stays on the same channel , it’s the Onkyo. If the problem swaps channels, it’s a faulty cartridge.
This all makes sense. I'll have to wait until when/if it happens again then I'll switch to my TV audio and go from there.

Part of me was thinking it was something in the tone arm because it seemed to happen after a needle drop (one time I drop it it's fine, the next one it's panned.). But last night I could hear it go in the middle of a side.

Well, it happened again. And as it seems to happen most often it's when I lift the tonearm up to go do something and I return and put it down on the record it sounds panned to the left. I switched my input to my TV and both speakers were working fine. I didn't get to swap any cables to troubleshoot. As soon as I pull the RCA cables out of the back of the turntable it makes a bit of a buzzing noise and then when I plug the red one back in it's working fine.

I should have also mentioned earlier. There is a Schiit Mani between the U-Turn and the Onkyo.

Well, it happened again. And as it seems to happen most often it's when I lift the tonearm up to go do something and I return and put it down on the record it sounds panned to the left. I switched my input to my TV and both speakers were working fine. I didn't get to swap any cables to troubleshoot. As soon as I pull the RCA cables out of the back of the turntable it makes a bit of a buzzing noise and then when I plug the red one back in it's working fine.

I should have also mentioned earlier. There is a Schiit Mani between the U-Turn and the Onkyo.
Check to be sure the four cartridge/headshell wires are securely connected on both ends. You could also plug your TT directly into your receiver (I checked and see that it does have a phono in). That would help you to isolate the Schitt as a possible source of your problem (if it's not the cartridge connections and the problem disappears with direct connection to the receiver, that would suggest the phono pre is the culprit).

Check to be sure the four cartridge/headshell wires are securely connected on both ends. You could also plug your TT directly into your receiver (I checked and see that it does have a phono in). That would help you to isolate the Schitt as a possible source of your problem (if it's not the cartridge connections and the problem disappears with direct connection to the receiver, that would suggest the phono pre is the culprit).
The U-Turn doesn't have a removable head shell so the wires just run directly into the tone arm. They seem to be secure to the back of the cartridge.

Of course, no matter how many times I lift the tone arm now the problem won't repeat itself.

Don’t connect or disconnect components with the volume up. That solves your buzzing issue, and it’s better for your system too.

Unplug the Mani. Use the phono built into the Onkyo. From what you’ve said, the Onkyo is fine.

If the problem goes away, it’s the Mani.

If the problem persists, it’s your cartridge.

I’ll take Mani for $100, Alex. 😎

It had been behaving for a while, but now it actually switched where the left channel dropped and it sounded panned right. I checked to make sure that I didn't switch any wires for testing but everything was hooked up correctly.

It had been behaving for a while, but now it actually switched where the left channel dropped and it sounded panned right. I checked to make sure that I didn't switch any wires for testing but everything was hooked up correctly.
Doesn't change the appropriate problem-solving process.

After a week of bypassing the Mani the problem seems to have gone away. Unfortunately I'm noticing what a huge difference the Mani made compared to the built in Phono on the Onkyo. I'll probably wait a few more weeks before I buy a new pre amp just to make sure. See you all in the recommendation thread!

Bumping this because now I'm curious. I actually haven't made any equipment changes because the problem went away. And the few times it happened in between I could just switch my pre-amp off and on real quick and the problem went away. Not it seems to be back and my workaround isn't working. I'm mainly curious because I realize my my original post from was from last January. Could weather, or something like dryer air in my house actually affect this? Just seems weird that it is worse this time of year. Could just be dumb luck. I guess I'll go through trouble shooting steps again to see if it really is the pre amp or something with the wiring in the turntable.

Back