Removing stickers from sleeves?

The best but nastiest: Go to your local art supply store and buy a small can of Bestine. This is a old school commercial art rubber cement solvent that will work well to remove the cement while remaining art safe for the most part. It’s pure heptane which is noxious and toxic stuff. Use with gloves in a well ventilated room, coat the label completely and attempt to lift it up after soaking it a few times. After a while the Bestine will evaporate and leave 0 reside.

Test it in a small area as I have recently learned it can remove certain spot inks, and certainly damaged a bit of the gold ink inner-sleeve on one record I own, but this is only one instance out of the hundreds of applications I’ve used it in. If this is too nasty for your liking try lighter fluid or goo gone, which may leave a residue.

Ultimately, for price stickers put in by record stores these days I just peel really slowly, which always works for me. Any older stickers I will try to remove with solvent. If they’re really old it may be best to leave them as the art will likely be less faded underneath.

Goo Gone still works like a champ, let it soak in a bit, have a little patience and the stickers come right off. Be sure to wipe up any residue and make sure the Goo Gone treated area has dried really well before tossing it back in a sleeve.

Regardless of the method you choose, patience is the key ;)

The best but nastiest: Go to your local art supply store and buy a small can of Bestine. This is a old school commercial art rubber cement solvent that will work well to remove the cement while remaining art safe for the most part. It’s pure heptane which is noxious and toxic stuff. Use with gloves in a well ventilated room, coat the label completely and attempt to lift it up after soaking it a few times. After a while the Bestine will evaporate and leave 0 reside.

Test it in a small area as I have recently learned it can remove certain spot inks, and certainly damaged a bit of the gold ink inner-sleeve on one record I own, but this is only one instance out of the hundreds of applications I’ve used it in. If this is too nasty for your liking try lighter fluid or goo gone, which may leave a residue.

Ultimately, for price stickers put in by record stores these days I just peel really slowly, which always works for me. Any older stickers I will try to remove with solvent. If they’re really old it may be best to leave them as the art will likely be less faded underneath.

Don't know if they sell Bestine over here, otherwise I would give that a try. But i saw that Amazon.uk has Goo Gone so I might order that.

This is an 1987 record I just got where the record store I got it from via Discogs failed to mention the ugly-ass name tag sticker on the back. It's not a big one but it's there and it bothers me haha

A hair dryer and patience usually does the trick

Might give that a try while i wait for the Goo Gone. I can already picture the look on my moms face when my bald ass asks if I can burrow her hair dryer lol

Goo Gone still works like a champ, let it soak in a bit, have a little patience and the stickers come right off. Be sure to wipe up any residue and make sure the Goo Gone treated area has dried really well before tossing it back in a sleeve.

Regardless of the method you choose, patience is the key ;)

Do you just use a cotton swab or something like that to apply it?

Patience, I got plenty off. Everything else, eh :p

Don't know if they sell Bestine over here, otherwise I would give that a try. But i saw that Amazon.uk has Goo Gone so I might order that.

This is an 1987 record I just got where the record store I got it from via Discogs failed to mention the ugly-ass name tag sticker on the back. It's not a big one but it's there and it bothers me haha

Might give that a try while i wait for the Goo Gone. I can already picture the look on my moms face when my bald ass asks if I can burrow her hair dryer lol

I use a hand cloth, spray it on the cloth, dab it on the sticker, let it soak in a minute and then dab a little more on. Let it sit a few minutes and the you should be able to start peeling it up from an edge.

I usually start at one corner, peel half way and then peel it up from the opposite corner. Never had any issues. ;)

My bad. I assumed you wanted to move the stickers to a new sleeve. Yes, do what the others say. Goo stuff works.
I pointlessly move hype stickers to new outers so I'm trying to preserve the stickiness without tearing the sticker.

Edit: I often try to employ my partner to do this because it's her hair dryer and she has a lot more patience. Yes she looks at me weird

I use a hand cloth, spray it on the cloth, dab it on the sticker, let it soak in a minute and then dab a little more on. Let it sit a few minutes and the you should be able to start peeling it up from an edge.

I usually start at one corner, peel half way and then peel it up from the opposite corner. Never had any issues. ;)

They probably don't, probably because it's horrible for you and the EU has regulations on such things! Goo Gone works well. I would just avoid using it on an uncoated paper as the oils and additives can be absorbed by the uncoated fibers, but 99% of record covers and labels are coated stocks.

so i bought a record from discogs the other day and it hasnt arrived yet , but. .

there are cue markers on the labels of each site from Dj use.
the record came out 20 years ago, so those have been on there for a while.

is there any chance i can get them off without ripping the label or should i just leave em?

cheers

so i bought a record from discogs the other day and it hasnt arrived yet , but. .

there are cue markers on the labels of each site from Dj use.
the record came out 20 years ago, so those have been on there for a while.

is there any chance i can get them off without ripping the label or should i just leave em?

cheers
I think you should leave them! They are cool, literal historical markers of the record's previous life. Way better than some schmo's initials or something

Back