Remember that first time?

My first CD buy: Digimon the Movie Soundtrack

My first Vinyl buy: The Shins - Wincing the Night Away. This was my favorite album for the longest time. I think I got it in a record store back in 2008(?) even though I didn't have a record player, and wouldn't have one for another 6 years.
That Shins album was the first record I bought when I went to a real record store and I still play it constantly.

Man this thread is going waaaaaayyyyy back......I’m 44 now so my memory is getting sketchy but I didn’t buy vinyl until high school so I’m 100% the first Vinyl Record I Bought was Rap and a 12” single, so I’m going with DEL Tha Funkee Homosaipien- Mistadobina B/W Burnt. Now I had my parents collection to mess with before that but as a kid I wasn’t into Jazz or R&B, but mostly AM Radio

I'm 44 and I'm the opposite in that my family consistently bought vinyl up until we got our first CD player in 1989 and then not much after (with the we exception of artists like Beck who would release vinyl only EPs and singles).

We had a non working record player when I was a young kid in one of those console pieces. My older sister got a small stereo for her bedroom which had a record player. I remember buying both Art is Noise “In Visible Silence” and Pet Shop Boys “Please” for it from the cut-out bin. I loved the cut-out bin in G.C. Murphy’s.

G.C. Murphy's was where I bought my first LP, too! Way back in 1979, bought Kool & the Gang's Ladies' Night with some birthday money. That one was maybe $6.98 (?) but I lived for those dollar bins back then...discovered some great music.

First cassette: the soundtrack to Cocktail, which was rather popular when I was in second/third grade (89/90). Started my Beach Boys obsession.

First CD: Michael Jackson's Thriller, somewhere around 1990.

First vinyl: Foo Fighter's self-titled LP and Gigolo Aunts' Flippin' Out in June of '95. Bought them at a much-missed record store in this area called Secret Sounds. I was in love that they had the Foo Fighters album a full four days before its release and couldn't buy it fast enough.
Almost a year and a half later, the Nirvana live compilation From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah is released. Very prominent on the cover: Dave Grohl in a Secret Sounds t-shirt. Apparently he had played an in-store gig there when he was still with Scream.

Back