Record Store Day 2024

So Pearl Jam is getting their TSwift on with this one. Poor @threesunrises is gonna go broke picking up all these variants.
Nope. I’m not chasing them all. I did order one through TenClub, and might pick up the Pennsylvania variant (Siren in doylestown will have it) but I’m a bit disgusted by the green disease that PJ LLC has these days.

Hopefully that means I'll be able to get one of the rsd copies heavily discounted.
If I'm not mistaken, each regional variant has a pressing of 1,500. There are 15,000 RSD variants (worldwide, of course) That said, it should be quite easy to get the RSD edition as it's likely there will be some leftovers. I only say "some" since the PJ vinyl world is beyond bizarre, just like the demand is for their posters and other merch.

I do wonder what the tipping point will be, when people finally say fuck off, enough is enough.

This store owner post above sums up a lot of the issues I have with this album rollout. The amount of calculation and intent involved is gross. First announce the Ten Club variant so all the suckers (like me) will order that and pay the insane shipping cost, then announce the RSD variant so everyone orders that, and finally all these other variants. As for the tipping point, I think we’ve already reached it - the last 2 PJ RSD releases can be had for below retail, EV’s solo album can be found for a fraction of its original price. 15000 copies of the RSD variant is a TON, the ten club variant is still available so who knows how many of those they’re pressing, plus all these others. I don’t think there’s any way they all get moved. The fan base is rabid but I think a lot are getting fed up 🤷‍♂️

How hard do folks think the Everyone Digs Evans and Lost in Translation releases will be to find? Seems like if I get there early-ish I should be able to grab both with some ease?
I'd bet most stores would get a small allotment of the Evans. That's how my locals usually are, but places like Plaidroom may get 25+ copies.

Believe it's a First Release, so it should be pressed again.

The whole 20,000,000,000 variants of albums is getting exhausting... I didn't put PJ on my list for the first time in ever because of this and I have been not listening to them as much with what's been happening recently..
I honestly don't mind when bands press multiple variants of an album for initial release because it usually increases my odds of obtaining the album before it sells out. I don't chase variants, so I am not tempted by the completist mentality.

For this PJ release, it seems the variants are region/city specific (haven't been following it that closely). But there is a "Missoula" variant, which means Ear Candy will have this exclusive to sell. That is a great little record store, and happy to see them get excited on Instagram for an opportunity to sell this special release and get folks in their shop to buy other LPs.

I honestly don't mind when bands press multiple variants of an album for initial release because it usually increases my odds of obtaining the album before it sells out. I don't chase variants, so I am not tempted by the completist mentality.

For this PJ release, it seems the variants are region/city specific (haven't been following it that closely). But there is a "Missoula" variant, which means Ear Candy will have this exclusive to sell. That is a great little record store, and happy to see them get excited on Instagram for an opportunity to sell this special release and get folks in their shop to buy other LPs.
I don't have a problem at all with multiple variants of a record (kinda like it actually), but just be up front about them from the beginning. Where I feel a little hoodwinked in this case is that they initially announced a webstore exclusive and that was it. Thinking that would be it, I ponied up what ended up being $62 for a single LP with insane shipping. Pretty silly, but I accepted it and I own that decision. Then later comes the news of an RSD variant so people will want to order that, then LATER come all of these other variants. That's the part that bothers me - the timing and obvious intent to prey on the FOMO of a devoted fan base and wring as much money out of them as possible, especially when the band used to seem to care about making things affordable. And here again is where I'll bring up the fact that this record, regardless of variant, is pushing $50 for a single LP (n)

I don't have a problem at all with multiple variants of a record (kinda like it actually), but just be up front about them from the beginning. Where I feel a little hoodwinked in this case is that they initially announced a webstore exclusive and that was it. Thinking that would be it, I ponied up what ended up being $62 for a single LP with insane shipping. Pretty silly, but I accepted it and I own that decision. Then later comes the news of an RSD variant so people will want to order that, then LATER come all of these other variants. That's the part that bothers me - the timing and obvious intent to prey on the FOMO of a devoted fan base and wring as much money out of them as possible, especially when the band used to seem to care about making things affordable. And here again is where I'll bring up the fact that this record, regardless of variant, is pushing $50 for a single LP (n)
Ah....wasnt aware of those details. Yeah, that is bothersome.

I'm quite annoyed with Siren in Doylestown, PA. I emailed to ask if they would be getting the Philly PJ variant in, was told yes, they will be available on the 19th. Emailed back last night (was out of town for a funeral) asking if they were accepting pre-orders / holds, and the reply was that the pre-order window has closed, but to check back on the 19th to see if they get extras in. Pretty shitty not to let me know that they were accepting orders and just tell me they'll be available on the 19th.

I'm quite annoyed with Siren in Doylestown, PA. I emailed to ask if they would be getting the Philly PJ variant in, was told yes, they will be available on the 19th. Emailed back last night (was out of town for a funeral) asking if they were accepting pre-orders / holds, and the reply was that the pre-order window has closed, but to check back on the 19th to see if they get extras in. Pretty shitty not to let me know that they were accepting orders and just tell me they'll be available on the 19th.
Look up WaxPax, further away but owner is solid

Look up WaxPax, further away but owner is solid
I emailed Spin Me Round in Easton and Positively in Levittown. SMR has not said whether I can pre-order one (they just replied that they will have them) Positively responded that they'd hold one for me if I prepay. So, it looks like I have one.

My daughter lives in Doylestown, she often walks to Siren. (She's also a PJ fan) So, she'll probably try to get one there.

Back